daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #3121
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Why didn't they just dig everything out and then start all the construction?
Isn't it much more difficult to dig around all those concrete caissions, as just digging a big hole??
The problem here is all of the water that surrounds the site. They likely have to do things in a similar manner to the WTC complex in NYC (with a watertight perimeter wall) before they start digging below the water line and that caissons can be drilled and filled before then.

I forget the exact depth (and correct me if I am wrong), but I STR that the bedrock is about 60-75 meters below the surface there.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #3122
JPmaverick

Likes (Received): 0

Building IDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post

wats the name of the tower to the right in that picture ?
Blue/white box is River East Center (residential, hotel, entertainment)
Brown box is Cityfront Place (residential)
JPmaverick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #3123
JPmaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
The problem here is all of the water that surrounds the site. They likely have to do things in a similar manner to the WTC complex in NYC (with a watertight perimeter wall) before they start digging below the water line and that caissons can be drilled and filled before then.
Exactly. A cofferdam will be constructed 78 ft (24 m) deep and 104 ft. (32 m) wide to create a watertight work space and will later provide the foundation for the core of the building.

Quote:
I forget the exact depth (and correct me if I am wrong), but I STR that the bedrock is about 60-75 meters below the surface there.
34 caissons will be drilled 120 ft. (37 m) into the bedrock below the surface.

Also of interest...

Initial reports estimate units (600-8,000 square feet) will sell at or above $2,000 per square foot. Therefore the cheapest unit will run US$900,000 with larger units at or above US$16,000,000.
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #3124
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

Oh geez 900,000 per unit . . . ridiculous! I wonder how much it would be to buy out a floor.
depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #3125
izmir
Izmir

Quote:
Originally Posted by depressio View Post
Oh geez 900,000 per unit . . . ridiculous! I wonder how much it would be to buy out a floor.
My friend, dont consider this like your mother's highrise condo. For many (including me) $900K for a small apartment is lots of money. However, as Spire is going to be an iconic building by its height, location and design, having a unit in Spire will be like (and, is going to be marketed as such) as if having a place/ownership in a world renown building. Think about how much people would bet if even a small section of White House, Buckingham Palace, Sydney Opera House, etc. you name it, was put on for sale. Think Spire prices in this context.

Also, like anything, this is relative. For those whose net worth at least in double digit millions, it is an expense not investment to allocate such money for a unit even at those prices.

As for my own curiosity about Spire's sales is that I know it will be marketed worldwide and world has enough rich to buy at prices asked for Spire. The big question is how much attractive this place will be for the world's riches and how fast/slow sales will be going?

I had read somewhere that Aqua was already 95% sold by the end of this summer. It was a 'wow' for me! Although it is different and similar at the same time, I wonder if Spire will have that type of sales performance. If it does, everyone will have to take hats off especially for the developer and architect of Spire for their vision and courage.
izmir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #3126
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3624

Just out of the topic a bit.

Whats happen' with that project next to Cityfront Place?, what is its name?

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #3127
JPmaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmir View Post
As for my own curiosity about Spire's sales is that I know it will be marketed worldwide and world has enough rich to buy at prices asked for Spire. The big question is how much attractive this place will be for the world's riches and how fast/slow sales will be going?
Shelbourne has received over 800 inquiries from 'serious, interested buyers' all over the world. I imagine a key part of the marketing effort will be focused on cities/countries with a substantial economic connection to Chicago.
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #3128
ilovechicago91

Likes (Received): 1

i should know this but is the gold facade staying or is it back to blue or what?
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #3129
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagotribune.com/servic...,3120522.story

Spotting the architectural stars and events of the season

By Blair Kamin
September 7, 2007

Chicago Spire Interiors

Star architects typically design condominium towers exteriors and leave the interiors to decorators, but Calatrava is playing an unusually active role in shaping the Spire's nearly 1,200 units. He has crafted everything from floor plans to doorknob handles, which should make the skyscraper a rare instance of "total design." The Zurich-based architect will be in Chicago on Sept. 26 to preview his plans, whose staggering variety has helped push the opening of the Spire's sales center back from Sept. 27 to January.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #3130
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovechicago91 View Post
i should know this but is the gold facade staying or is it back to blue or what?
It is NOT gold.
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #3131
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagotribune.com/servic...,3120522.story

Spotting the architectural stars and events of the season

By Blair Kamin
September 7, 2007

Chicago Spire Interiors

Star architects typically design condominium towers exteriors and leave the interiors to decorators, but Calatrava is playing an unusually active role in shaping the Spire's nearly 1,200 units. He has crafted everything from floor plans to doorknob handles, which should make the skyscraper a rare instance of "total design." The Zurich-based architect will be in Chicago on Sept. 26 to preview his plans, whose staggering variety has helped push the opening of the Spire's sales center back from Sept. 27 to January.
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #3132
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Darn> If they had stuck with the original opening, it would have been on my birthday!!
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #3133
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
opening of the Spire's sales center back from Sept. 27 to January.
^ Wow.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #3134
hoju

Too bad it is delayed, but it sounds like it is on account of there being so many unique floorplans and designs, all the work of the man himself. If that is true, Kelleher must have given Calatrava an incredible amount of freedom to totally design the whole creation. That can only add to the allure of this building to wealthy international clintele, and hopefully will inspire future high end projects in chicago to reject value engineering in pursuit of unique architectural identity.
hoju no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #3135
Diggs

do you know of any possible petitions requesting an observation? We could definitly get a lot of signatures.
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #3136
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
do you know of any possible petitions requesting an observation? We could definitly get a lot of signatures.
No. It's not going to happen. Stop thinking about it. Get over it. And by all means lets stop talking about it. It has been beaten to death already here.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #3137
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

And my post was deleted just because i mentioned about OD

Wth is going on? Its not like i am whining why is there no OD in CS?

Kingdom Tower of Jeddah
Gattberserk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #3138
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Because it's private property! The developer has the right to do whatever the hell he wants with it! This is not a government building -- a petition is not only useless, it is inappropriate!!
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #3139
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by depressio View Post
Because it's private property! The developer has the right to do whatever the hell he wants with it! This is not a government building -- a petition is not only useless, it is inappropriate!!
Never herd anything so true. Let us stop thinking about OD because it WONT happen and just concentrate on how beautiful this skyscraper is going to be
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #3140
depressio
Lime and limpid green

I won't go so far as to say an OD won't EVER happen, but it sure as hell won't be the doing of the public. However I can't see how it could really happen without a major overhaul as an OD would most likely require its own elevator.

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower