daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #3161
newstl2020

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Does anyone of you know what a high floor apartment (550m+/1700feet+) in the CS will cost?
Well I'm assuming that anything at that height is going to be a penthouse unit, and penthouse units in Trump were going for 16+ mil if I remember correctly....so does anyone else think it is safe to assume that penthouse units in CS are going to end up going for over 20 mil? I think it wouldn't be outa the question to have prices in the lower 20's for a penthouse. Also just a guess based on Trump's prices at ~1000 ft compared to CS at roughly 1500+ feet.
newstl2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #3162
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

more photos please
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #3163
JPmaverick

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
There were no actual price figures given. The $900,000 was just a forumers guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred View Post
I'm sure it'll be in the $5 million + range. $900,000 will get you a 10 floor unit in a loft here in downtown LA.
I apologize for not clarifying things in my previous post. The figures I cited were not my estimate, rather from a piece in Crain's.

The article quoted representatives from Shelbourne and @properties (the brokerage firm for CS) who stated that in order to cover construction costs, units will START at US$2,000 per square foot.

Therefore, the lowest possible price for a 600 sq. ft. unit will be US$900,000 and the lowest possible price for an 8,000 sq. ft. unit will be US$16 million. I imagine the more exclusive units on higher floors will be substantially higher and contribute to the bulk of the building's profit margin.
JPmaverick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #3164
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

Theoretically true, but I imagine that the smaller the room, the more expensive per square foot -- the bigger the room, the better the deal.
depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #3165
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Let's just wait. I think my guess of 14 - 16 million dollars is actually cheap. This will be an iconic building. We don't know what will be the interior layout. I believe there will be too many billionaires and multi-millionaires here and abroad interested to buy just parts of it so there might be a huge competition. I am guessing that many of the condos or penthouse will be in auction with the starting price of at 8 - 18 million dollars accordingly (with no buyout).
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #3166
SGMD1

Last edited by SGMD1; September 21st, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
SGMD1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #3167
jstush04

I see no reason why a top penthouse won't sell for $30million plus
jstush04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #3168
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Oprah ends up taking it.
Old September 11th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #3169
SGMD1

Last edited by SGMD1; September 21st, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
SGMD1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #3170
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
The best apartments/flats barely sell for that in NYC and London. CS penthouses will be in the 6-8 mil range
I recently saw a NYC penthouse featured in Architectural Digest that was listed as $25 mil and it wasn't near as cool as the Spire penthouse will be.
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #3171
Catmendue2
City Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
^ Unlikely to happen for a number of reasons. They forsaw all the current market conditions, and their target clientelle isn't exactly affected by interest rates as the other 99.999999999999999% percent of the people in the world. Unless another enormous blow hits the american economy and takes the EU with it, it's unlikely that it won't go through. If we get the olypmics, it becomes pretty much a sure thing. Kelleher has a solid record, Anglo-Irish is behind this project with Shelbourne, and once you spend upwards of nearly 3/4 billion by the time you get to 30 floors, I think it's safe to say that it's going to go all the way unless some unprecedented economic disaster affects it- ala 911. At this time, yes, it's not for sure that it will be completed, but it's very likely that it will be. The unforseen, unpredictable future can change that quickly as we all know, but every major project in the US- if not the world- would run into big problems if an economic/financial disaster occurred, so what's the difference? It's like that for projects like 300n lasalle, legacy, aqua, waterview, trump... etc.

I totally agree with what you said. This building is about the Olympics and Chicago's image and ranking worldwide. It's all but sealed, it was signed a longtime ago and will be delivered very soon.
Catmendue2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #3172
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/servic...,3120522.story

Spotting the architectural stars and events of the season

By Blair Kamin
September 7, 2007

Chicago Spire Interiors

Star architects typically design condominium towers exteriors and leave the interiors to decorators, but Calatrava is playing an unusually active role in shaping the Spire's nearly 1,200 units. He has crafted everything from floor plans to doorknob handles, which should make the skyscraper a rare instance of "total design." The Zurich-based architect will be in Chicago on Sept. 26 to preview his plans, whose staggering variety has helped push the opening of the Spire's sales center back from Sept. 27 to January.
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #3173
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
The best apartments/flats barely sell for that in NYC and London. CS penthouses will be in the 6-8 mil range
Dude...please. Units in the Trump and the AOL Centre are selling between 1.5 and 3 million for a 900 sq ft 1 bedroom. Penthouses are starting at 15-18 million. Folks on this site aren't stupid. The PH units in the CS will be every bit of 15-20 million...

Zefire liked this post
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #3174
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

While our economy is tanking the exchange rate for international Spire owners improves.

Dollar flirts with record low against euro

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/76e8ef22-6...0779fd2ac.html
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #3175
prelude91

$30 million seems a bit high for the Chicago market. High end condo's (trump, etc) in Manhattan go for around $3,000/sq. foot. I think the CS will peak at about $2,000/sq. foot
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #3176
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
I see no reason why a top penthouse won't sell for $30million plus
I tend to agree with this. People are seeming to forget this will be 2000 ft in the air! Nobody will come close to having such a view. Not even close.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #3177
JPmaverick

I'm starting to sound like a broken record. Once more...

Crain's Chicago Business published an article (print edition, 2-3 weeks ago) quoting reps from Shelbourne and @properties. They stated that, in order to cover construction costs, units will start at US$2,000 per square foot. They also mentioned 800 'serious, interested' buyers have contacted them from all corners of the world.

I don't know if the construction figures are based on original estimates, current costs, inflated to cover overruns, or somewhere in between. I also don't know if the 800 inquiries are indeed from serious prospects or hyped to create a buzz. Either way, I'm sure there are 1,200 people in the world with the desire and resources to purchase a unit in this unique and exclusive tower, even if the highest price is $15, $30, or $50 million. I can only imagine the bidding war that may ensue over the top floor.
JPmaverick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #3178
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPmaverick View Post
I can only imagine the bidding war that may ensue over the top floor.
I agree with this. HEY RICH PEOPLE, THIS IS THE HIGHEST POINT IN THE UNITED STATES FOR A LONG LONG TIME. buy it.
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3179
Sandeman
everything's looking up

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
HEY RICH PEOPLE, THIS IS THE HIGHEST POINT IN THE UNITED STATES FOR A LONG LONG TIME. buy it.

I'm still considering living on the top floor, or buying a cruise ship and sailing around the world.... what to do, what to do...

thanks for asking though!
Sandeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #3180
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeman View Post
I'm still considering living on the top floor, or buying a cruise ship and sailing around the world.... what to do, what to do...

thanks for asking though!
get both and leave me a key at the desk.

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower