daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #301
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Looks like a ***** if I've ever seen one.

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #302
Chitowner245

Likes (Received): 0

If this is great architecture, then the 2006 Cubs were a great team in that case.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #303
xAKxRUSx

Likes (Received): 7021

So should we expect more pictures by tonight?
xAKxRUSx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #304
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
If this is great architecture, then the 2006 Cubs were a great team in that case.
Seeing as they sell out every game, who could really tell the difference anyway?

And yes it is great architecture, some people just have no taste, and wouldn't be able to tell reguardless.

Grant Park Advisory Council public meeting

Parkitecture - the continued framing of the park as Grant Park becomes one of Chicago's great economic engines. With all of the new high-rises, Lollapalooza, and the leasing of the Grant Park garages, Grant Park is generating hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue as it becomes one of the world's most beautiful and cultural parks. Much of this revenue is going to improve Chicago's neighborhood parks.

Monday, January 15, 2006 - 6:30 p.m.

Daley Bicentennial Plaza - 337 E. Randolph just east of Columbus Drive.

The Grant Park Advisory Council and Grant Park Conservancy hope you're feeling InSPIREd this new year.

Please join us for a public meeting on two new buildings proposed to join our distinguished skyline. One has generated a great deal of excitement and discussion in Chicago already. The other will be revealed to the public for the first time. Come and be a part of shaping our great city.

Millennium Park Plaza
John Lahey from the architecture firm of Solomon Cordwell Buenz and Associates will introduce to the public for the first time the design of a new high-rise building to be built at the NE corner of Randolph and Michigan Avenue on Grant Park. As part of the plans for this new high-rise, there will also be the creation of much-needed, new, modern retail space in the existing "Doral Plaza" building on Michigan Avenue.

Shelbourne Spire
Garrett Kelleher of Shelbourne Development Group will be coming all the way from Ireland to present to you the latest design for the "Spire" designed by architect Santiago Calatrava.

We look forward to having you join us for the presentation and discussion about the newest architecture in Chicago and how improving Grant Park leads to more economic development.

Thank you very much for your interest and participation.

Bob O'Neill

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAKxRUSx View Post
So should we expect more pictures by tonight?
Of what? More dirt? There's nothing too see. I believe that they are done with the "non site pre-prep"
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #305
SNT1

Likes (Received): 12

I dont understand why people keep referring to it as a *****. That's too freakishly long if you ask me.
SNT1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #306
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1 View Post
I dont understand why people keep referring to it as a *****. That's too freakishly long if you ask me.
Perhaps they have skills we aren't aware of?
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #307
xAKxRUSx

Likes (Received): 7021

Well I meant the public meeting. But I misread the date.
xAKxRUSx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #308
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I'm sure the Spire v.5 update is what most people will be waiting to see, but I'm actually curious to see what will happen at Michigan and Randolph. Unless they plan on demolishing at least some of the Doral building, they've got a footprint of (roughly) 100' x 120' to work with. That's obnoxiously small.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #309
headcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
I'm sure the Spire v.5 update is what most people will be waiting to see, but I'm actually curious to see what will happen at Michigan and Randolph. Unless they plan on demolishing at least some of the Doral building, they've got a footprint of (roughly) 100' x 120' to work with. That's obnoxiously small.
From what has been mentions the Doral stays, La Strata goes, and the footprint is somewhere around 6000 square feet (or maybe that was the amount of living space per floor).

SSDD
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #310
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Perhaps the builders of the new Michigan/Randolph building will be negotiating with the Doral to connect the two buildings.

This seems unlikely, since the Millennium Park Plaza has never been called an annex before, but it is possible.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #311
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

From SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus22minus1 View Post

Mon. Jan 8, 2007

Those guys were digging post holes for whatever that's worth.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #312
ChiPsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
From SSP:

Can we surmise from the lack of protective apparel that the soil test results were negative (in a positive way)?
ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #313
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Or inconclusive. These guys might be doing test 2.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #314
ricardo

Likes (Received): 1

i have a question why is this building proposed when i thought it was aproved?
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #315
headcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
Because it has gone threw a number of redesigns that have changed large portions of the project.

SSDD
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #316
kalmia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
A declaration by the city does not make a building appear. Many other things have to happen too.

There are other approved buildings that still don't exist and never will. Other buildings have been built on the sites.
kalmia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #317
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase View Post
Because it has gone threw a number of redesigns that have changed large portions of the project.

SSDD
Exactly. The re-design did two things: (1) it added a considerably larger number of occupied floors by eliminating the spire and (2) it added a lot of bulk to the structure.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #318
ChiPsy

So how many approval hoops must it still jump in its revised form? Momentum is gathering for it (especially in the latest, well-received revision), but I always worry when so many NIMBY's get a chance to take a shot at something so iconic.

I wonder if the Eiffel Tower or the Gateway Arch or the Golden Gate Bridge would have gotten built in today's political environment -- in which we can't even get a runway added to an airport without somebody filing decades' worth of lawsuits.

ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #319
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Quote:
And yes it is great architecture, some people just have no taste, and wouldn't be able to tell reguardless.
Is this a joke? If you honestly think this is a fitting terminus to a beautiful building then I just lost a ton of respect for you. The head of a ***** is very rarely used to top a building (and with good reason)... save for 30 St. Mary Axe and Torre Agbar I can't think of too many examples. Both of those towers are much more squat than CS and have a much less phallic appearance (if you ask me) than this would - and even still, the general consensus of those two towers is not a positive one.
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #320
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

This looks absolutely nothing like a ***** to me. For it to be a ***** it'd need to be shorter (seriously, who has a schlong that long), not twist, be circular and have a bulging top. If this is a ***** then so is every other tower since they all have that general shape.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower