daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #3181
JPmaverick

Likes (Received): 0

JPmaverick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #3182
secondcity1
less is more

Likes (Received): 10

The top floors at the Mandarin and Trump tower are going for $21 million and $28 million, I find no reason why CS has to settle for less.

$30 million seems to be reasonable to me. It could go much higher than that if Chicago is chosen to host the 2016 Olympics.

http://www.mandarinorientaltower.com/

http://www.palmolivebuilding.com/news_pdfs/796099.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
$30 million seems a bit high for the Chicago market. High end condo's (trump, etc) in Manhattan go for around $3,000/sq. foot. I think the CS will peak at about $2,000/sq. foot
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #3183
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

September 11, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #3184
Retrograde
Chicago

September 11, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #3185
budman

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcity1 View Post
The top floors at the Mandarin and Trump tower are going for $21 million and $28 million, I find no reason why CS has to settle for less.

$30 million seems to be reasonable to me. It could go much higher than that if Chicago is chosen to host the 2016 Olympics.

http://www.mandarinorientaltower.com/

http://www.palmolivebuilding.com/news_pdfs/796099.pdf
I think the condos that are being "marketed" by Trump and Mandarin that you reference are ploys by the developers to add value to the other units. A home is worth nothing until it is sold, and just because these units are purportedly for sale doesnt mean anyone will buy them at the prices listed. It is more likely that they will be divided up and sold for much less. I do agree, however, that the top units in the spire will go for more (probably much more) than Trump, and way out of Mandarin's league. And because the biggest unit wont be at the tippy top of the Spire, the top unit probably wont be the most expensive. I wouldnt be surprised if the top 10 floors go for $2500 per square foot at the time of purchase (which could be 5 years away). Those places will easily be 10,000 sq ft - 15,000 sq ft = $25,000,000 - $37,000,000.
budman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #3186
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

Yay^

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #3187
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

I guess the topmost penthouse can easily be put into market for a bid of $100 million start. The most expensive house in the market right now is in Beverly Hills for $165 million (it may change because another house is being put for $200 million also in Beverly Hills). So I expect someone will put a final bid of $160 - 180 million.
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #3188
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Thanks Retrograde! Top pics!

Last edited by Muse; September 12th, 2007 at 05:24 AM.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #3189
Gaeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
September 11, 2007

Just look how the construction goes. I could not find any patch of the river in the river at all.
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #3190
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
I guess the topmost penthouse can easily be put into market for a bid of $100 million start. The most expensive house in the market right now is in Beverly Hills for $165 million (it may change because another house is being put for $200 million also in Beverly Hills). So I expect someone will put a final bid of $160 - 180 million.
But those houses are on the market a VERY VERY VERY long time...if they ever even sell at all. The reason: People with that much money will build what they want and where they want instead of buying someone else's trash lol. Also, who knows where the real estate market will be in that time. It could be at the bottom of its slump (keeping in mind real estate seems go in 7-10 yr trends and were only approx. year 2 of the downward part).
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #3191
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
I agree with this. HEY RICH PEOPLE, THIS IS THE HIGHEST POINT IN THE UNITED STATES FOR A LONG LONG TIME. buy it.
I see rich people.

*said in trance-like state*
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #3192
Gaeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post
But those houses are on the market a VERY VERY VERY long time...if they ever even sell at all. The reason: People with that much money will build what they want and where they want instead of buying someone else's trash lol. Also, who knows where the real estate market will be in that time. It could be at the bottom of its slump (keeping in mind real estate seems go in 7-10 yr trends and were only approx. year 2 of the downward part).
Actually, thats only happening to the average or median homes. If you look closely to mega-luxury homes, they are not affected at all and the luxury house prices in Palm Beach, Malibu, Palm Springs, etc are still rising. And to make it real, this will be the highest residential unit in US. I am pretty sure they will buy it with that ridiculous price. But I maybe wrong so let's just wait.
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #3193
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^$100 million is far too much though.

The most expensive house on the market in Chicagoland (and the Midwest I think) for the last few years was only $25 million, and that was a mansion with history and lots of prime land.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #3194
newstl2020

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
The best apartments/flats barely sell for that in NYC and London. CS penthouses will be in the 6-8 mil range
Please discontinue reading this thread immediately. You are WAY too far behind to get caught up to speed.

Everyone seems very quick to denegrate Chicago when it comes to the amount of wealth this city has, and its level or desireability. Why is Chicago being considered in a different league than NY and London? I realize that both are still bigger, but Chicago isn't exactly lagging behind. Prices are not THAT different in these cities, and the differences become basically negligable when dealing with units as high end as this.
newstl2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #3195
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Sept 13 - AM

View from above
[ full set - zoomable http://picasaweb.google.com/harry.r..../400NLSDCSHeli ]

Working a new caisson.

Ready to pull the top off another ( it is finished )

New arrivals - for the secant wall ?
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #3196
JJC_Chicago_Nut

Does anyone know how many of the 14 large caissons have been completed now?
JJC_Chicago_Nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #3197
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Thanks for the pics Harry
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #3198
TheGlobalizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstl2020 View Post
Please discontinue reading this thread immediately. You are WAY too far behind to get caught up to speed.

Everyone seems very quick to denegrate Chicago when it comes to the amount of wealth this city has, and its level or desireability. Why is Chicago being considered in a different league than NY and London? I realize that both are still bigger, but Chicago isn't exactly lagging behind. Prices are not THAT different in these cities, and the differences become basically negligable when dealing with units as high end as this.
Because they can't handle just being another city full of a**holes.

I love Chicago.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #3199
redspork02

Likes (Received): 813

Passed by this location.........Very awesome place for the SPIRE!! luv it!!

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #3200
NoAllegiance
Allegiance Aint What I Do

Likes (Received): 9

Yes!

Good! There is progress on the site. Doesn't look like much, but it is still progress. I just hope it gets built before the Russia Tower.
"There are new sights in the sky. Twenty years ago, when one gazed at the heavens, one would see the stars, the moon, the sun, clouds and an occasional comet or two. Now, however, here in the streets of New York City, a few neighbors have moved in. These are made, not of gasses nor water nor dust, but of steel and stone and concrete. These neighbors are not carved by the hands of nature, but by the hands of men. These neighbors are buildings that scrape the sky." -1930's quote, author unknown.
NoAllegiance no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower