daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #321
ChiPsy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
This looks absolutely nothing like a ***** to me. For it to be a ***** it'd need to be shorter (seriously, who has a schlong that long), not twist, be circular and have a bulging top. If this is a ***** then so is every other tower since they all have that general shape.
Malec, I completely agree with you. I think a couple of us could benefit from a field trip to Cupid's (3519 N. Halsted) before revealing any further naivete. At any rate (and I SO hesitate to extend this discussion) phallic symbols have a long history in art and architecture, laced by such evocations as the top 2/3rds of the Eiffel Tower (perhaps most prominently), not to mention -- as many art critics have observed -- the masculinity of the very >idea< of the skyscraper itself.

But please, please someone be the next phallo-phobic writer to contribute a sophomoric witticism about the CS. Now that we've learned (from recent SSP exchanges) that our contributions are being viewed by prominent lurkers, let's be sure to undermine our credibility entirely. I'd hate for Pulitzer Prize winners and international financiers to think that SkyscraperCity might actually be a source of careful, provocative thought.

Last edited by ChiPsy; January 13th, 2007 at 03:57 AM.
ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #322
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

January 12, 2007

^ south plot closer to Chicago River

^ north plot closer to Ogden Slip

No workers or equipment today. It looks like they've finished up the immediate work and have graded the site. I noticed that location identifiers are present on the fence to layout the grid referenced in a floor plan (i.e. column G-10)
Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #323
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
I noticed that location identifiers are present on the fence to layout the grid referenced in a floor plan (i.e. column G-10)
Yeah, I noticed that when I dropped by a few weeks ago. I don't think they relate to column placement though. Due to the unique shape, this building will definitely not have columns laid in a grid pattern; possibly in a radial pattern, though.

More likely, the grid simply serves as an aid in the surveying and preparation of the site; e.g. "there's an old well in sector G-10".

BTW - has anybody other than me noticed that, if this gets built, you will see the absolute shortest buildings in Streeterville (River East townhomes) next to the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere?

Last edited by ardecila; January 13th, 2007 at 09:29 PM.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #324
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

cool, trump tower isn't far away from the construction site
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #325
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah, I noticed that when I dropped by a few weeks ago. I don't think they relate to column placement though. Due to the unique shape, this building will definitely not have columns laid in a grid pattern; possibly in a radial pattern, though.

More likely, the grid simply serves as an aid in the surveying and preparation of the site; i.e. "there's an old well in sector G-10".
Yes, I agree. That makes sense. Is there a specific name for the labeled grid lines on a drawing?
Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #326
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:

BTW - has anybody other than me noticed that, if this gets built, you will see the absolute shortest buildings in Streeterville (River East townhomes) next to the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere?
Good observation. One of the things that make the Chicago skyline so great are the peaks and valleys. This will be the ultimate peak and valley. Is it just me or does this tower look like a *****?

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #327
ChiPsy

Cute
ChiPsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #328
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I never thought I'd see the day I was accused of "sophomoric witticism." The thing doesn't literally look like a *****... learn how to read between the lines. When we say something looks like "shit," do we actually mean to infer that it resembles a pile of excrement? Not to mention, you attack the penile-reference by citing the twist and the "length," wouldn't the first thing you challenge be the obvious color issue if it were to really represent a phallus?

The fact remains, the rounding of the top does NOT produce a desirable effect - and I promise you that nine out of ten people will say it looks far more phallic than your average tower. This rendition is absolutely ten steps backwards from the last.
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #329
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

http://www.suntimes.com/news/othervi...pire14.article

Spinning politics with the Spire

January 14, 2007
BY SCOTT JACOBS
As the home of high-rise architecture, Chicago at first welcomed Santiago Calatrava's design for the Chicago Spire. The 2,000-foot swirling tower of hotel rooms and condominium apartments would anchor the city skyline with a building situated between the Hancock Center and the Sears Tower.
When Calatrava first unveiled the plan in July 2005, he compared it to "a twisting column of smoke going up in the air." With a 150-room luxury hotel at its base, the tower would rotate upward 1,550 feet in a narrowing 360-degree turn to accommodate 300 luxury condominiums -- topped off by a 450-foot television antenna.

The New York Times likened it to "a blade of grass" and "a tall twisting tree." Chicago Sun-Times architecture critic Kevin Nance and Chicago Tribune critic Blair Kamin praised the design as elegant and stunning.

The only negative comment to be heard came from Donald Trump, who is building his own high-rise in the Spire's shadow on the site of the old Sun-Times building. "I don't think it's a real project," he scoffed. "It's a charade."

The Chicago Spire is to be located on north edge of the Chicago River at Lake Shore Drive, just across from Chicago's most popular tourist attraction, Navy Pier. Although the two land parcels it will cover originally were zoned for buildings no higher than 55 stories, the Chicago Plan Commission overwhelmingly approved the zoning change in March 2006.

New design a 'lug bolt'
But Trump's prediction -- as is too often the case -- proved right. In July, Christopher Carley, the developer who commissioned the Calatrava design, pulled out of the deal and sold the land to Garrett Kelleher, chairman of the Ireland-based Shelbourne Development Group, for $64 million.
On Dec. 6, Shelbourne came back to the city with a new plan for the Spire. Although they wanted to keep the name and 2,000-foot zoning variance, they were dumping the hotel, dumping the TV antenna (i.e. the spire), doubling the square footage (in part, by taking 90 degrees of torque out of the twist) and instead of offering 300 condominiums, they would build and sell 1,300 units -- at prices ranging from $600,000 to $5 million.

Oh yeah, and the cost of construction would rise from $500 million to something over $1.2 billion.

The pictures of the new design Calatrava presented to the city now resembled more of a lug bolt than a slender blade of grass, and the architectural critics were unforgiving.

"It would be overkill to call it ugly," Kevin Nance wrote in the Sun-Times. "It remains more interesting than Chicago's typical human warehouse. But compared with the exquisite original design, it's a bastardized disappointment that would hardly justify the attention it would draw to itself by its height."

The revised design did not fare much better with city officials, particularly Streeterville Ald. Burt Natarus, or community groups.

Too many condos for elegance
The Streeterville Organization of Active Residents was initially willing to overlook the added traffic congestion. When Carley presented the first design, an accompanying traffic study claimed the 300 new condos, excluding the hotel, would add one car per minute to local street congestion.
With four times as many units, the new Shelbourne design presumably bumps that average to four cars per minute. Since that is only an average, the added congestion would obviously be much greater during the workday hours than late at night.

Shortly before Christmas, Calatrava came back to Chicago with yet another design that he and the developer quietly shopped around to Mayor Daley, Natarus and selected local architects. Kamin of the Tribune reported the new design restores a "tapering, tip-like summit" and adds a thin shaft of light that would shoot into the sky, as if it were the wispy curl of smoke. But there was no mention of scaling back from 1,300 condo units and no public drawings were released.

The Shelbourne Group hopes to begin construction in June and told various groups it was ready to present the new plans to the city Plan Commission for approval as early as this month. Then Daley and Natarus and the developers came up with a better idea -- wait until after the election February 27.

However much Calatrava may tinker with the exterior look of Shelbourne's new design, there's no way to stuff 1,300 condo units into the slender, elegant tower he first envisioned. He can run cad-cam programs all day on his computer to come up with architecturally pleasing facsimiles, but the real issue isn't aesthetics but density. A Chicago Spire with 1,300 residential units in 150 stories is too many people in too little space for an area already over-stuffed with luxury condominiums.

Streeterville is one of the most traffic-clogged neighborhoods in the city -- just try to get to Navy Pier on a nice summer night. In 1999, local developers feeling the pinch of complaints from residents started a free Streeterville Trolley so tourists could park outside the neighborhood and ride the trolley into the North Pier and Navy Pier amusements.

But the developers keep developing at an astounding pace. In 2005, 4,700 new condos came on the market in Streeterville; in 2006, another 6,100 were completed.

Today, there are seven more luxury condominium towers under construction in the 14-block area east of Michigan.

Timing is everything
It's fair to say the neighbors of Streeterville, and most of Chicago, have a vested interest in whether the Chicago Spire gets a go-ahead from the Chicago Plan Commission. Since Daley and Natarus have already seen the revised plans, why aren't they being made public so we can too?
Because, if the design plans were vetted before the election, they might become an issue in the mayoral campaign and would certainly be a major factor in how Streeterville residents judge their alderman. Voters might start asking hard questions on what criteria the city uses to decide development and how developers go about winning zoning approval.

Daley and Natarus would have to take a public position on the development -- and that's just not the Chicago way.

Better to wait until after the election so city officials can take up the matter in the usual course of business. Isn't that what makes Chicago the city that works?
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #330
dropdeaded209

if people just walked, like good city citizens, we wouldn't be worrying about traffic congestion.
dropdeaded209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #331
eon
2,000+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
if people just walked, like good city citizens, we wouldn't be worrying about traffic congestion.
Well, yeah. But we have to deal with things as they are, not as we'd like them to be.
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #332
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon View Post
Well, yeah. But we have to deal with things as they are, not as we'd like them to be.
^ Um, well, I can buy that argument. And here's how it goes:

WE (the people living downtown who entitle themselves to drive instead of walk) have to deal with things as they are (lots of congestion and traffic), not as WE'D like them to be (empty streets and plenty of parking as in suburbia)
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #333
dropdeaded209

seems as though we make our realties or we lay down and accept things as they are. either way, people should walk more. chicagoans could shed some pounds... back to the discussion of the tower.
dropdeaded209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #334
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

God they are fast.

Tallest tower will be built, developer pledges

By Tonya Maxwell
Tribune staff reporter
Published January 15, 2007, 9:51 PM CST

Making his first public appearance, the developer of a proposed 2,000-foot tower for Chicago's lakefront said Monday night that he is so confident the project will succeed that he is ready to order foundations, even though the skyscraper has yet to receive city approval.

"This is getting built," said the developer, Garrett Kelleher of Dublin, Ireland, answering skeptics of the twisting condominium tower designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava.

Taking a swipe at developer Donald Trump, who has called Calatrava's tower "financial suicide," Kelleher said of Trump's 92-story hotel-condominium skyscraper on the former Chicago Sun-Times site: "In my view, the Sun-Times site is neither residential nor office."

Kelleher spoke before more than 100 people at a meeting of the Grant Park Advisory Council, a citizens group. He did not show Calatrava's latest version of the design, but he addressed a broad range of issues, from parking to open spaces.

The skyscraper, called the Chicago Spire, would be located west of Lake Shore Drive across from Navy Pier. It would be the nation's tallest building.

Those in attendance lauded Kelleher's project, and his talk drew several rounds of applause. "These are very great strides forward," said Ward Miller, a Chicago preservationist.

The project would be 150 stories tall, not 160, as his team previously disclosed, Kelleher said. It would have anywhere from 1,000 to 1,350 units, a possible reduction from the number of units announced last month.

Kelleher added that some of the skyscraper's seven levels of underground parking would be directly beneath the building.

Asked about the possibility of a vehicle-delivered bomb like the one that struck the public parking garage of the World Trade Center in 1993, killing six people, Kelleher said his architect is "more than capable of dealing with that."

He offered no firm numbers on cost—previously estimated at $1.2 billion—nor would he commit to paying for two Calatrava-designed pedestrian bridges that are part of his vision for the tower's environs.

Ald. Burton Natarus (42nd), in whose ward the project would be built, has expressed concerns about traffic congestion. But Bruce Toman of Perkins + Will, the project's local architect, said that ramps off Lake Shore Drive would handle most traffic.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #335
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

I was hoping someone would give a recap that had pictures (i know you guys were there... i saw a lot of you)... but I guess I can give my own novice recap.

This was the first presentation I have seen of this building. I was very impressed with the design and Garrett Kelleher. As you can see from the posted article, Kelleher says the building will be built. He plans to order caissons in 2-3 weeks. I dont want to say too much because from the sounds of it, this is the same version as "C". It was awkward in the room as Blair Kamin lashed out at Kelleher for not showing us version "d". Both the architect and Kelleher both said this was the present version and was not clear about whether there really was a version "d" even though Blair said he saw it himself 2-3 weeks ago at IIT. Kelleher's response was that he hadn't talked to Calatrava since early December.

The most amazing thing is how this guy is going to build this without ANY pre-sales. He said he was going to use his "own resources" and has no "parkers." Someone suggested maybe he was doing this so that he did not have to give a "disbelief discount" (sorta like Trump did).

Another interesting tidbit is the balls this guy has. He came in on a Wednesday he said and closed the next Thursday without doing any due diligence (I think I have those days right). Rumor is he bought the land for $60M+.

Bob O'Neil tried to get Kelleher to come out swinging at Trump by comparing their two parcels. Kelleher started to compare, based on the fact that Trump is in an area that is not truly residential and of the views Kelleher would give, but stopped short with a fececious comment about the media.

Other than that, there was little resistance to the project. One thing that Kelleher stressed was how open the new siteplan was to the proposed DuSable Park. Calatrava included his own conceptual design of DuSable, but that it was not part of their scope of work. He did acknowledge that he was going to proceed to give the requested $500K-$600K donation for it.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #336
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I got there late, so I missed a lot. I heard whispers of a 2-story restaurant at the top; any truth here?

Also, did anybody actually get a look at the DuSable Park Plan they passed around? I never saw the document at all, except for when O'Neill waved it in the air.

I assume it DOESN'T include the cow.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #337
headcase

Quote:
I got there late, so I missed a lot. I heard whispers of a 2-story restaurant at the top; any truth here?
The only think I heard about a two story restaurant was in the presentation for the Millennium Plaza building, nothing about the Spire.

And Printers, I know Kelleher has a bit of an accent, but the word was "partners" not "parkers"! As in, He said he was going to use his "own resources" and has no "partners."

SSDD
Old January 16th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #338
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainmen...arch16.article

Latest Calatrava talk a fishy business at best

January 16, 2007

The unmistakable aroma of seafood wafted through Monday night's meeting of the Grant Park Conservancy, and it wasn't of the gourmet variety.
The odor emanated from the presentation by Irish developer Garrett Kelleher and members of his team on the proposed Santiago Calatrava-designed condo tower on the Chicago lakefront near Navy Pier. Heavily attended on a snowy weekday night (and on a holiday to boot), the meeting had been advertised as an opportunity to view the latest design scheme for the 150-story Chicago Spire, which at 2,000 feet would top out as the nation's tallest building. For his own inscrutable reasons, however, Kelleher apparently elected not to deliver.

Instead, he served up a meal that had been cooked at least six weeks ago. The design scheme that he and Bruce Toman (of the Chicago firm of Perkins + Will, which is handling the project locally) was virtually identical to Calatrava's widely criticized revision of early December.

Monday night's scheme lacked several key elements of a still more recent (and more popular) revision floated by the celebrated Spanish architect and Kelleher at private meetings the week of Dec. 18.

In that version, the tower's elegantly twisting shape (whose illusion of undulant movement was slowed from a 360-degree turn to about 270 degrees) had been brought closer to the original scheme. The tower's initially tapering form (which had given way to a fatter shaft with a flat top) was partially restored, and the spire itself, which Kelleher had ordered removed as financially unfeasible, was replaced by a spirelike light shooting up into the night sky.

Monday night: A 270-degree twist. No restored tapering on the way up. No light.

Asked to explain these seeming omissions from what Toman described as the "current" design, Kelleher scoffed: "A lot of things have been reported."

Yes, they have, and unless dozens of Chicago's most observant citizens are suffering from a mass hallucination, the design we saw Monday was not the design they saw three weeks ago. And if this week's design is indeed the latest one, it seems the pre-Christmas meal that the developer and architect served their invited guests was raw at best.

What is Kelleher playing at? Yes, as Toman repeated more than once, the building's design is unfinished and will continue to evolve. But what is the actual state of the design right now? Is it Version 3, which we saw Monday night, or Version 4, which others saw just before Christmas? It's a simple question. It's also a pressing one, given Kelleher's startling assertion that he's ordering caissons for the site "within weeks," even though city planning officials aren't close to granting approval.

Other questions remained unanswered. How many units will the tower contain? Somewhere between 1,000 and 1,350, Kelleher said -- a wide range of possibilities, to say the least. How much will the building cost to build? He couldn't say, or wouldn't. How much will the condos cost per square foot? No idea.

This isn't exactly being forthright with the public, which has every right to be closely informed about the progress of a building that would radically alter the city's skyline forever. It smells, and you know of what.

In striking contrast to the cloak of confusion and (perhaps) misdirection that has fallen over the Calatrava project like a shroud, Solomon Cordwell Buenz's presentation at the same meeting -- about its new Millennium Park Plaza, a new 40-story, curtain-walled residential tower on the northwest corner of Randolph and Michigan, was a breath of fresh air. It's a sleekly modernist, modestly handsome project that will fit its site and its city like a glove, and it's likely to benefit immeasurably from the easy straightforwardness of its lead designer, John Lahey, who answered every question he was asked. What a concept.

[email protected]
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #339
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

Just what does Kevin Nance have against Keheller? All he does is bad mouth the proposal. You would think he's getting greased by Trump to do so.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:05 AM   #340
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 20th, 2010 at 03:08 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower