daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #3521
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
the way i measured, the lot has 96 meters which is over 315 feet
The way Shelbourne measures

Townhomes to LSD ( W to E ) 285' - 1"

35' - 3" W edge to Spire collume + 209' - 10" for the Spire itself + 40' - 0" setback from LSD on the East side.

The secant wall was shown as going along the edge of the site, from the edge of the townhomes garden to the edge of LSD. There are already sections directly adjacent to the slip on the N and to LSD on the E, and at least one Big casisson right next to the townhomes on the W.

The 285 is L to Right on your image.
The lot goes further S than pictured, the trailers and stuff are gone.

The lot as it appeared last Friday morning ( looking South ).

Note the prep for the secant wall on the Lower left, the beams from the secant wall along the slip ( bottom center ) and the boards covering 2 of the big rock caissons ( R and L center )

Last edited by harryc; September 30th, 2007 at 05:17 AM.
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #3522
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

Well basically the width of the Fordham Spire design was 50m, or 164 feet. I found this by measuring an elevation published by Fordham Co. Someone here must have an elevation of the current design?
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #3523
harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Well basically the width of the Fordham Spire design was 50m, or 164 feet. I found this by measuring an elevation published by Fordham Co. Someone here must have an elevation of the current design?
A while back somebody posted the plans - for this tower - on SSP - I took notes and the figures below are what the plans called for.

Quote:
Townhomes to LSD ( W to E ) 285' - 1"

35' - 3" W edge to Spire collume + 209' - 10" for the Spire itself + 40' - 0" setback from LSD on the East side.
Unfortunately somebody raised a fuss about confidential material and the diagrams disappeared.

My favorite part of the plan was racks for 400 bicycles
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #3524
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Ahh... thx. Okey, yah i got confused by the N/S orientation. But as i really compare it do the picture it's clear and i cant believe how dumb i didnt notice that

Mh, yah okey, so there is enough space for a really big diameter... just unbelievable that a former wtc tower would really possibly just fit into the spire..

Last question for today

Does that bridge really has two levels? In the satelit picture it looks that way, you can see lanes. But on the pic you posted (and some others) it seems if there were alot of parked cars.
So what is it?

PS:

I mean the part of road on the foto just before the bridge. Not the bridge itself

Last edited by idkblk; September 30th, 2007 at 05:34 AM.
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #3525
harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkblk View Post
Ahh... thx. Okey, yah i got confused by the N/S orientation. But as i really compare it do the picture it's clear and i cant believe how dumb i didnt notice that

Mh, yah okey, so there is enough space for a really big diameter... just unbelievable that a former wtc tower would really possibly just fit into the spire..

Last question for today

Does that bridge really has two levels? In the satelit picture it looks that way, you can see lanes. But on the pic you posted (and some others) it seems if there were alot of parked cars.
So what is it?

PS:

I mean the part of road on the foto just before the bridge. Not the bridge itself
The parked cars are from the bridge workers, they park on the sidewalk, real pain getting around them on my bike, but they are pretty tolerant.

The sidewalk on the west side doesn't really go anywhere, the stairs are closed ( always have been ? ) and biking ( much less walking ) on lower Wacker is not recommended, although it can be exhilarating.

Shot of a tour bus, yes they were talking about the spire.

Another veiw -before the bridge work began

The cars are moving at 40+ MPH ( when they can ). And this is a drawbridge.
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #3526
jstush04

Likes (Received): 0

haha, I didn't realize they park their cars on the sidewalk up there. thats pretty funny. I guess they use those stairs right before the river to get down...
jstush04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #3527
harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
haha, I didn't realize they park their cars on the sidewalk up there. thats pretty funny. I guess they use those stairs right before the river to get down...
Yes but they're working in the NW tower, where the controls are, at least one set.
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #3528
jessemh431

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Ah and how do you measure???
lol. woops. i forgot the base is a circle. i measured from corner to corner. sorry
jessemh431 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #3529
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:

Last question for today

So what is it?

PS:

Lakeshore Drive and a whole bunch of other streets along the Chicago River, especially Wacker Dr (see the 'Waterview Tower' threads for images of another part of Wacker), are indeed two and even THREE levels. Upper Lakeshore Dr at the river is essentially a freeway and the lower level is more of a city street. Lower Lakeshore Dr is also used for the connections between Lakeshore Dr and Wacker Dr.

Many of the drawbridges over the River, including Lakeshore Dr and Michigan Av (among others) are double-deck, too.

The first double-deck streets were built in the mid-late 1910s (yes, during the WWI era) as a way of addressing a choking level of street traffic congestion by elevating the streets and allowing trucks (and horse-drawn drays, which were still in use) to service the downtown buildings without having to mix with the other traffic. It proved successful and in the 1980s, when Lakeshore Dr was rebuilt in the area, Lower Wacker Dr was extended to connect with it creating an incredibly handy and *FUN!* way of getting between the interstate expressways and Lakeshore Dr. The east-west part of Wacker (the late 1910s structure - talk about well built!) was replaced a few years ago, eliminating several kinky bottlenecks in it and making that connection even easier.

If you ever visit Chicago, a drive on Lower Wacker is one of your 'must dos'.

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; September 30th, 2007 at 06:11 PM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #3530
harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Lakeshore Drive and a whole bunch of other streets along the Chicago River, especially Wacker Dr (see the 'Waterview Tower' threads for images of another part of Wacker), are indeed two and even THREE levels. Upper Lakeshore Dr at the river is essentially a freeway and the lower level is more of a city street.
...snip...
If you ever visit Chicago, a drive on Lower Wacker is one of your 'must dos'.

Mike
Here are some shots of the bottom level at the Spire site ( late July ) - those compressors are huge.

Lower Wacker (in a car) is a must, late at night, fast.
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #3531
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Thx alot for these infos!!!
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #3532
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 879

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,7402404.story

Some Spire occupants may take dim view of 'total design'
By Blair Kamin | Tribune architecture critic
September 30, 2007

Everybody knows the stories about Frank Lloyd Wright. His tall-backed dining chairs were both gorgeous to behold and supremely uncomfortable. Staying at a client's house, he would sneak down at night and rearrange the furniture to his liking. Occasionally, he designed dresses so the garments worn by the lady of the house wouldn't clash with his all-encompassing

Last edited by BVictor1; September 30th, 2007 at 10:51 PM.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #3533
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 879

September 30, 2007

Everybody knows the stories about Frank Lloyd Wright. His tall-backed dining chairs were both gorgeous to behold and supremely uncomfortable. Staying at a client's house, he would sneak down at night and rearrange the furniture to his liking. Occasionally, he designed dresses so the garments worn by the lady of the house wouldn't clash with his all-encompassing
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 04:13 AM   #3534
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Construction crews are working Saturdays and Sundays as well.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:34 AM   #3535
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

interesting vid-

http://www.real-estate-market.org/20...sign-part-two/
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:34 AM   #3536
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

September 30, 2007

In case you guys missed this article, it mentions
Quote:
Prices in this building will start at $750,000 for some studios and head up to a staggering $40 million for a duplex penthouse.
Hate to bring up the issue of price again, but it looks like we found a real stat. (FYI, I refused to make a prediction in the original argument, so I can't really say I'm wrong or right.)
depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 12:21 PM   #3537
SGMD1

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by SGMD1; September 22nd, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
SGMD1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 04:55 PM   #3538
harryc

Oct 1 - AM

View from above
[ full set - zoomable http://picasaweb.google.com/harry.r..../400NLSDCSHeli ]

Using secant wall to brace old sheet piles ( will the in-between caissons be drilled later and this is just to shore up the wall prior to a big caisson being drilled right next to it ? )

Dusable Park materials storage.

They "mowed" the entire hill, preparing for something ( ramp ? )

Work on the other side of the slip ( prep for ramp work ? ) ( the line says "GATE" )

Neighbors

Tri Level LSD

Last edited by harryc; October 2nd, 2007 at 03:55 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:57 AM   #3539
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller & Taller View Post
Iīve made this from the Panoramas section of the web page, www.thechicagospire.com .

140th floor:

Itīs amazing to see Sears Tower below you!!
thats worth every penny. even if it is 40 mill
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM   #3540
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

WOW thanx for the updates..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower