daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #4021
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Nov 16 - Ramps

N bound

Slots in sheet wall for rebar ?

S bound

NOT blocking the walkway

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #4022
zerokarma

Likes (Received): 12

Looking good so far
zerokarma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #4023
Tumbling Dice

Likes (Received): 1

Can't wait to see this baby start to rise.
Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #4024
harryc

Nov 16 - errata

DuSable park

image hosted on flickr

Mean looking bits.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
Old November 16th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #4025
stealt

Likes (Received): 5

Dusable park will be a great place to chill and looking to that beautyfull skyscraper
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #4026
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

They are just moving right along with this big guy. Looks like in about another week the core piles be done getting hammered in. Glad to se that another 120' ft cassion was brough to the site. I feel bad for the truck driver who has to drive one of them to the site. Getting there has got to prove challenging. Did they fill the cassion facing northbound with the rebar cage and concrete?
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #4027
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

Trump is having a hard time selling his apartments in Chicago, whereas apartments priced 6 or 7 times as much in NY sell out immediately. In light of this, is the expected construction of Chicago Spire fantasy? I have read repeatedly that the pre-construction work that its "developer," a painter from Ireland, can support a smaller, less complex tower. Moreover, if Trump can't sell his condos, how is CS going to sell? A serious project, Mandarin Oriental, appears to be on hold because Chicago cannot support very high-end condos.

NY and London draw investors from all over the world. While Chicago is a nice place, it's not in this class. Therefore, I'm curious as to thoughts regarding this issue.

Anyway, here's the article.

Wall Street Journal
Stalled Condo Projects
Tarnish Trump's Name
Buyers Lambaste Developer,
Whose Coffers Seem Secure
By ALEX FRANGOS
November 16, 2007; Page B1

Even the Trump name isn't bigger than the calamitous condo market.

Donald Trump's reputation as a real-estate developer could take a hit as some condominium projects emblazoned with his famous name run into trouble..... And at Trump Tower Chicago, a hotel and condo project set to be the second tallest building in the city after the Sears Tower, 30% of the 825 units remain unsold as the condo market there slows.

Zefire liked this post
LLoydGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #4028
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

It looks like a big *****!!!! OMFG ROFL BBQ!!!!1!!one!!

(Two bashes in honor of the concept of redundancy.)
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #4029
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoydGeorge View Post
In light of this, is the expected construction of Chicago Spire fantasy?
Why do you pop up in this thread intermittently to tell us the same things (Chicago is not as great as NY, other Chicago projects are in trouble, Kelleher is no Trump, the project will not be realized)?

We get that you don't think it's going to happen. Unless you have some new info on the Chicago Spire and not Trump's projects, which have their own reasons for failing, it is best to just to sit back and see what unfolds.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #4030
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

I'm just asking a question and was wondering if anyone has information. People are acting as though this is a financed project which is u/c, but it is not. Therefore, I am seeking more information.

The Chicago Spire
Construction Update - Friday Morning, Setpember 21st

News Update: October 1st, 2007
Architectural design isn't the only thing spiraling at developer Garrett Kelleher's monumental high-rise. A kick off promotional media event for the Spire was held September 26th in Millennium Park....Right now, no sales have been made and Kelleher seems to be in no hurry to seek financing until then. If everything falls into place and enough people buy into the Spire brand, the tower's completion date is estimated for sometime in the fourth quarter of 2011.

Zefire liked this post
LLoydGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #4031
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

Here's the thing critics and the media are waiting for someone to fail. People love watching people fail miserably at anything they do or try to accomplish. Especially the rich and famous. The media is drooling and waiting for the day Trump goes bankrupt or his condos where ever don’t sell… why? Because it's good news. That’s just how life is. Trump or Kheller would not have foreseen there visions if they strongly felt that there projects would fail here in Chicago. Not to mention the dozens of other condo high rise projects going up as we speak in Chicago i.e. Aqua and One Museum Park. If the condo market is that bad here why would they fork over 2 billion dollars between them to have there building on Chicago's soil? Unless Kheller lost his mind completely or Trumps hair plugs are on too tight causing him not to think straight. I trust that they know what there doing. Not to mention there building aren't even done yet! Sales always pick up again when a buildings done because people can now see what they are buying into. They can take tours check out the sweet view from there new possible condo. Why have so much faith? Because they wouldn't be where they are today if they didn't take risks or make any crazy decisions. In life it's the risk takers who get ahead of the game not the pansies who sit back and do nothing but watch and bitch.
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #4032
harryc

Nov 16 - pile driver & Secant

Pile driver ... I don't see where they would use this - temporary piles ?

In between caisson.

--Niko Bellic
Old November 17th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #4033
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

Great picks harryc but did you quit your job and become a freelance photographer pro bono?
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #4034
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

wow, starting to see that circular base. looks cool
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #4035
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Perhaps I just don't understand the construction of these things, but am I the only one who's freaked out that they aren't digging a big ditch for this thing? I mean, seems like it might tip over that way.

Or maybe they *are* gonna dig a big ditch and this just some preliminary stuff?
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #4036
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

^
Yeah, that circle they're making will be dug out.

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #4037
stealt

Likes (Received): 5

I'm sorry if its been asked before but are they going to make the tower out of steal of with concrete??
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #4038
sunshine_121

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealt View Post
I'm sorry if its been asked before but are they going to make the tower out of steal of with concrete??
Playdo m8!
sunshine_121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #4039
jimbo

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoydGeorge View Post
I'm just asking a question and was wondering if anyone has information. People are acting as though this is a financed project which is u/c, but it is not. Therefore, I am seeking more information.

The Chicago Spire
Construction Update - Friday Morning, Setpember 21st

News Update: October 1st, 2007
Architectural design isn't the only thing spiraling at developer Garrett Kelleher's monumental high-rise. A kick off promotional media event for the Spire was held September 26th in Millennium Park....Right now, no sales have been made and Kelleher seems to be in no hurry to seek financing until then. If everything falls into place and enough people buy into the Spire brand, the tower's completion date is estimated for sometime in the fourth quarter of 2011.
there's no harm in pointing out the current reality of the project. Don't know the project or Chicago well enough, but clearly developments at the very top end of the market are highly reliant on a very small demographic of people who are able to raise astronomic financings to purchase. World cities such as NYC and London are awash with foreign investment - here in London the influx of Middle Eastern and Russian money is astounding and has partially underpinned the top end of the market (see this thread where the top apartment (serviced by Mandarin Oriental) has alledgedly sold to a Middle Eastern investor for £80m (equiv. USD160m at current rates http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=441757 . Its completely bonkers, and probably a bit of press inaccuracy, but nonetheless such developments do regularly get bought up by petro-dollar rich investors (as do our football clubs at the moment!). I'm sure NYC has similar investment injections.

The Spire is epic, a beautiful tower, and a worthwhile usurper of the Sear Tower, however like London's Shard (London Bridge Tower), non of these things can move onwards and upwards until debt financing for the construction is secured, often off the back of substantial sales of the housing units. This is what LloydsGeorge is pointing out.

My Dad lived in Arlington Heights for a year in the late 1980s, and after a number of visits, I've got a huge soft spot for Chicago. I want to see the Spire build as much as the next man.

By the way, HarryC, you're a total credit to this site, haven't seen such devotion to one project before! Great work, keep it up.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #4040
jessemh431

Likes (Received): 86

in those pics from above, it seems so small...until you look at how small those massive machines and pick up trucks look on the lot. notice how small that guy is in that pic up there. look on the right side kinda in the middle in height close to the edge horizontally by the black tarp or w/e. he's wearing that reflective thingy. damn he looks tiny.
jessemh431 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower