daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #4781
alsajano
Turista Virtual

Likes (Received): 0

Nice shots, but nothing compared with the harryc pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #4782
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

Somehow that hole looks deeper then the metal pieces were high before they were hammered into the ground
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #4783
Chicago2020

Do the guides on the river boat tours mention the Chicago Spire???
Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of the Big Shoulders
Chicago2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #4784
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

the spire's lookin' like it's coming along great!!!
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #4785
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
heres a stupid question. how do they get the dirt out of that hole? are those arms long enough?
I don't think so, they'll probably have to use a crane with a clamshell bucket for the last little bit.
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #4786
X236K

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
it will be 7 in total
What are they going to do after all rings are finished? Pour the pillars?

When can we expect the core rise above ground level?
X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #4787
hcrosskey

Fox News (hardly a respected news source i know!) just had a short story about the Spire, apartments are on sale now and the full height of the building will be decided on how many are sold.. is there any truth in this story?
hcrosskey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #4788
(fabrizio)

Likes (Received): 3096

i don't think so, changing the height of the project may involve a lot of work!
anyway, i've been reading on an Italian newspaper that the top will host a gym and a place where the "locals" can meet and chat, is that true?i've been reading around the thread and on the project's website, but I couldn't find any information about it. i was trying to image a gym at 600 meters and not in a basement as mine...marvellous!
(fabrizio) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #4789
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcrosskey View Post
Fox News (hardly a respected news source i know!) just had a short story about the Spire, apartments are on sale now and the full height of the building will be decided on how many are sold.. is there any truth in this story?
I've never heard this before. Every news outlet has confirmed that the building will be 150 stories and 2000'.

Zefire liked this post
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #4790
(fabrizio)

Likes (Received): 3096

mmh thanks...you know this article marked that point clearly, saying that the top wouldn't have been a nest for the richest of the richs, but a common area for every tenant to enjoy, i thought it would have been a nice thing, i hope it'll be right and maybe also open to public!
(fabrizio) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #4791
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh630 View Post
The current hole is only for the core of the tower. Around the core will be 14 caissons, two for each of the 7 "legs" of the base of the tower. People seem to get confused and think that the current hole is the entire base of the tower, but in reality the actual footprint will be just about as big as the plot of land will allow.

Many thanks for your thoughtful and detailed explanation. I also appreciate Chicagophotoshop's comments. I look forward to seeing the status of this mega-project when I'm in Chicago in June for the Blues Festival. BTW I was in Valencia, Spain last summer and spent many an hour gawking at Calatrava's City of Arts and Sciences complex. The man is an absolute genius and a real artist. One of the things that strikes me about his buildings is how tactile they are -- you really want to go up and touch them and literally get a feel for his work. I'm sure The Spire will (IN)Spire the same emotions.
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #4792
TOB1AS

Likes (Received): 19

Nice pics! Althought I don't understand how the hole can be so small for such a tall tower... should be alot wider.

... just kidding
TOB1AS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #4793
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOB1AS View Post
Nice pics! Althought I don't understand how the hole can be so small for such a tall tower... should be alot wider.

... just kidding
and it looks like a *****
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #4794
stefr

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOB1AS View Post

... just kidding

Like SSP, we should rename the thread title:

"CHICAGO | Chicago Spire | 610m | 2000ft | 150 fl | U/C - THE CIRCULAR HOLE IS FOR THE CORE ONLY, SO DON'T ASK!"

stefr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #4795
Mr. Met

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefr View Post
Like SSP, we should rename the thread title:

"CHICAGO | Chicago Spire | 610m | 2000ft | 150 fl | U/C - THE CIRCULAR HOLE IS FOR THE CORE ONLY, SO DON'T ASK!"

So why is the hole so small

just kidding
Mr. Met no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #4796
Astounded

Likes (Received): 1

Sales of The Chicago Spire Residences to Begin Today
Quote:
Global Marketing Campaign Commences with 15-City World Tour

CHICAGO / January 14, 2008 – The Chicago Spire sales campaign launches today with the official opening of The Chicago Spire Sales Center, located on the 18th floor of NBC Tower, overlooking the construction site. The global marketing drive begins later this month and will feature an exhibition road show to 15 key cities across Europe, South and Southeast Asia and South Africa, including Dublin, Moscow, Singapore, Dubai and Cape Town. Designed by Santiago Calatrava, The Chicago Spire is an iconic 2,000-foot residential building located on the shores of Lake Michigan.

"The Chicago Spire is a special building," said Garrett Kelleher, executive chairman of Shelbourne Development Group, Inc., the developer of The Chicago Spire. "Our world-class team is creating what will not only become a spectacular home for its residents, but a dramatic new contribution to Chicago's skyline."

Since its September 2007 unveiling, more than 600 potential buyers across the United States have scheduled appointments to visit the nearly 20,000-square foot sales center, which includes full-scale recreations of apartment interiors and original artworks by Calatrava. The Chicago Spire sales team will begin meeting with these interested parties today and are currently scheduling appointments with potential buyers around the world.

“This building could only be built in Chicago," said Dominic Grace, Head of Savills Residential Development and leader of the global sales campaign. "Not only is Chicago the birthplace of the skyscraper, it is an exciting city that provides residents an incredibly vibrant lifestyle. The location is quite exceptional and has provided real inspiration for Mr. Calatrava. We've already heard from an unprecedented number of people who want to be part of this iconic building, and we are looking forward to a tremendously successful sales effort."

When complete in 2011, The Chicago Spire will be home to 1,194 individual residences and a range of amenities that will rival any in the world. In addition to those previously reported, the three-floor 52,000-square foot amenity space will include temperature-controlled wine lockers and humidors, private retail facilities, children's playroom, business center and library, among many others.

No two residences are alike at The Chicago Spire, with each suite, gallery, one-four bedroom home and penthouse offering a unique floor plan and outstanding city and lakefront views. Ranging from 534 - 10,309 square feet, units are priced from $750,000 USD. The largest home, a spectacular two-floor penthouse, is $40,000,000.

The Chicago Spire, situated on a 2.2 acre site where the Chicago River meets Lake Michigan, will be the world's tallest residential building. Conceived as an environmentally sensitive project, The Chicago Spire is designed to meet the gold standard of LEED certification and has already won a number of awards for its innovative approach to design and construction. Some of the many environmentally-sensitive features include a vacuum garbage shoot with automatic sorting for recycling, recycled rainwater for landscape maintenance and a highly efficient geo-thermal cooling system. In addition, The Chicago Spire will have the world's longest elevator run at 1,864 feet, shattering the current world record by 500 feet.

Construction of The Chicago Spire began in June 2007. Completion and occupancy are expected Q4 2011.

For more information, see www.thechicagospire.com, or contact the Sales Center at 312.516.4800 to make an appointment.
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #4797
Milllos
Milllos

Likes (Received): 11

I think, this hole is only for core.
Milllos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #4798
dareandlive

Dare & Live

Do you like Illonggo songs? Please visit http:www.dareandlive.com
dareandlive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #4799
TOB1AS

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclancer View Post
I'm going to waste space by asking a dumb question..
(that I already know the answer)

but that is OK because...

I can say I was "JUST KIDDING"

unbelievable......
Waste space? Are we running out of space here?
TOB1AS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #4800
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Jan 16 - AM

View from above

A worker told me the big I-beams visable just above the core are for the 86' primary secant caissons. The secondaries were 40' along the slip - may be different along the West side. Note the second rig being assembled and the progress on the secant guide wall.

Trucks queing up for dirt ( this is not only for the spire ), there were 13 waiting by the time I was heading back

New rig

The sunrise is back !

More later

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower