daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #4821
Pablitisimo Maximo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

Medal for harryc!

Zefire liked this post
Pablitisimo Maximo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #4822
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICONLA1 View Post
The actual perimeter of the tower is (generaly) where all the heavy equipment is setting..........
This is going to be interesting to watch as construction progresses. The site is so tight...I wonder where they are going to stage all the equipment and building materials?
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #4823
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

I'm not suggesting this is going to happen, but merely asking "what if":

real estate is a disaster in the US today, alhtough I realize the top end is less affected than most sectors. And Chicago Spire does have to sell an awful lot of exceedingly pricey propert that is heavily dependent on out-of-town buyers.

Worse case scenerio: could we be stuck with a building that has gone up, let's say, 40 floors and financially can't proceed?

What then? They can't cap the structure at 40 because that would invalidate all previous sales. Does the thing just stand there like a under construction sore thumb? Does it get torn down? What are the implications.

(Again...I'm not suggesting this is this is what I expect to happen...just concern about what would happen if it did)

Zefire liked this post
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #4824
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm not suggesting this is going to happen, but merely asking "what if":

Worse case scenerio: could we be stuck with a building that has gone up, let's say, 40 floors and financially can't proceed?

What then? They can't cap the structure at 40 because that would invalidate all previous sales. Does the thing just stand there like a under construction sore thumb? Does it get torn down? What are the implications.

(Again...I'm not suggesting this is this is what I expect to happen...just concern about what would happen if it did)
It has happened before.

A good example is the Bay Adelaide Centre in Toronto.

The commercial and residential real estate market was in overdrive in the late 1980s (like Chicago in the early 2000s?). The bottom fell out in 1991 – residential real estate prices fell 30% and commercial property was way overbuilt.

The last big downtown high-rise started was the Bay Adelaide Centre. They got the parking and about 6 stories of elevator core out of the ground and everything stopped. The partially completed building stood for over 10 years before they tore it down to build a new project.

Check out Wikipedia story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Adelaide_Centre

(photo from Wikidedia article)
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #4825
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote from Budman on SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman
I had an appointment at the Spire sales center this evening. I was there for nearly 2 hours, and it was truly extraordinary. 13 of the gallery units have been sold and 28 remain (I am not sure who reported that the gallery units were sold out or nearly sold out, but that is not what the sales rep told me). There are basically a few choices as to flooring, stone for the bathrooms, cabinetry, etc., but there will be no upgrades, a la trump (the choices were awesome, so no worries there). The average price per square foot is about $1200, but I saw the price sheet from top to bottom, and the desirable units are considerably more...I was really only paying attention to the 2 bedrooms +, however, so I cant really comment on the prices of the one bedrooms (except that the ones I noticed on the price sheet were about $1000/sq ft).

Calatrava's gallery units are awesome. A kitchen hidden behind sliding panelling, the bedroom in the cocoon, marble on the ceiling in the bathroom, custom closets, etc., truly unique... (from 980 sq. ft - 1200 sq. ft). There was a tremendous amount of information to absorb, and many people, including myself, will return for second and third visits. Particularly with respect to pricing, floor plans and views. They are all unique, which presents a real challenge in trying to sell these units. If you are seriously interested in purchasing a unit there, it will take some time. The video they show on the 100 inch movie screen is terrific (we've all seen it here), and they show some additional video, and of better quality, than I have seen here...this is going to be an arhcitectural statement beyond compare. I felt like I went to a museum, and I cant wait to get back.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #4826
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapmi View Post
It's still a fking hole! I want to see the beast rise!
Patience Grasshopper... Remember....construction started last June.

Zefire liked this post
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #4827
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
This is going to be interesting to watch as construction progresses. The site is so tight...I wonder where they are going to stage all the equipment and building materials?
I was thinking, the future DuSable park, (other side of LSD).

What i'm wondering is, (one) how are they going to pump concrete up to 2000', I thought the BD core only rose to around 1500' becouse they could not pump any higher.. And (two) is the floor system steel, or slab...

Last edited by TICONLA1; January 17th, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
TICONLA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #4828
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICONLA1 View Post
I was thinking, the future DuSable park, (other side of LSD).

What i'm wondering is, (one) how are they going to pump concrete up to 2000', I thought the BD core only rose to around 1500' becouse they could not pump any higher.. And (two) is the floor system steel, or slab...
good question. I believe the chicago trump tower is currently the highest with pumping concrete.

maybe have a pump in the middle?
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #4829
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
good question. I believe the chicago trump tower is currently the highest with pumping concrete.

I thought the tallest tower using pumping concrete was the Burg Dubai.

Zefire liked this post
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #4830
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post

no, the Burj Dubai has that record for the highest with pumping concrete at 601m

Old January 17th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #4831
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

but not 601m straight up! only 442m. on the Chicago spire they'll probably pump up the concrete straight to 600m ( or wherever the concrete will stop )
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #4832
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
but not 601m straight up! only 442m. on the Chicago spire they'll probably pump up the concrete straight to 600m ( or wherever the concrete will stop )
Ja, on the trump their using 1 pump to go to the top, while the BD used 2 pumps.
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #4833
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy View Post
Ja, on the trump their using 1 pump to go to the top, while the BD used 2 pumps.
those cheating bastards!
This is an OUTRAGE!

Zefire liked this post
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #4834
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeps View Post
I thought the tallest tower using pumping concrete was the Burg Dubai.
It was, but i did not realize that it was pumped to 601 meters, (i thought it was only to 1'500 feet) and this tower is 610 meters, so i guess it won't be a problem,

I still have the floor system question though, steel, with corrugated steel decking, or concrete slab system...?
Old January 18th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #4835
Taller & Taller
AKA Whynottaller

Likes (Received): 19

And what about the perimetral columns? Are they going to be reinforced concrete columns or steel columns? I think it was said to be steel columns finally.
Taller & Taller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #4836
alsajano
Turista Virtual

Likes (Received): 0

Please:
Someone can say me what cities will have the presentation of ChS in the world marketing campaign?

Recently i saw a world map with these cities, but i can not remember where.

Gracias.
Old January 18th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #4837
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy View Post
they used 3 actual. and 2nd the burj concret structure is alot higher and more complex then the trump tower. and thats what adrian smith said himself. enought with the trump tower and the burj.
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #4838
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

The studios (suites) are 980-1200 sq/ft? Wow. My 3 bedroom house is 1200sq/ft. I was picturing little studios, I guess that's why they shunned that word and went with "suite". That's actually not a bad deal starting at $750,000.
eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #4839
madeinttown

Likes (Received): 0

i like how a two story building is the neighbor of the tallest building in the USA
madeinttown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #4840
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

My photos from today's visit to the sales center.

View to the south

View to the northeast

:slob:

A few things:
-The building is going to be clad with stainless steel. The glass is going to have a very very light blue tint so that birds will be able to see it and not fly into the structure. The tint will basically not be noticible.

-The core area is going to excavated about 75' down.

-The top residential floor is the duplex on floor 141 - 142

-The garbage chute is going to seperate materials so that items can be recycled.

-The maple ceiling that you've seen in the lobby will actually undulate. The wood will be attached to some type of mechanism that will move like a wave does across water. The wood will be jointed together so that it pivots.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower