daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #5601
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyperu34 View Post
Wow ! Very interesting updates. There is so much work at ground and underground. Will it rise above street level before the end of June?
not a chance
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #5602
Perennial Quest

Likes (Received): 34

Thank you for the update Harry. The pics are very very interesting!
Perennial Quest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #5603
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Jello View Post
Something just crossed my mind about the Spire. It might look really cool before the cladding is put on.
i am sure that chicago spire will look amazing without the cladding
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #5604
Northerly

Likes (Received): 0

Fantastic pics. The first thing you notice is how close those nice looking apartments are to the construction activity... were there any planning/amenity issues with the project?
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #5605
ChicagoNight

Likes (Received): 4

thanks for the pics harry c. and thanks for the comments, they really help people like me who have no idea whats happening in the foundation stages
ChicagoNight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:12 AM   #5606
ChicagoNight

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
Fantastic pics. The first thing you notice is how close those nice looking apartments are to the construction activity... were there any planning/amenity issues with the project?
I think I remember several articles in the news solely about the uproar those apartment people were in. They probably tried to bring the project down without much luck at all. But honestly, thats just the risk of living near empty lots in a thriving, build-crazy downtown.
ChicagoNight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #5607
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
The few residents I have spoken with are less than thrilled at having a large construction site next door. On the other hand it was inevitable that a building would be built here and an ALL RESIDENTIAL building - upper crust at that - is much better than a cineplex and bar.

It is soo European
Lanark Scottland ( a close )

Chicago Ill ( real close )

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #5608
Taller & Taller
AKA Whynottaller

Likes (Received): 19

All that stuff you've showed us in all those pictures (thanks a lot, harry! ) reminds me the construction of Marina City (which also are residential towers with rounded footprints ):

--> http://www.marinacityonline.com/history/page05.htm

Enjoy it!!

Last edited by Taller & Taller; March 28th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.
Taller & Taller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #5609
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

My contribution

03/28/08

BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #5610
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

My contribution

03/28/08

Old March 28th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #5611
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

now i'm getting a bit scared. I think this thing is going to poke through deep down on the china end of things quicker than going up above ground level in chicago. what is going on in that hole for so long or do i really not want to know.

Zefire liked this post
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #5612
Doomlord_uk

Likes (Received): 5

forgive the ignorance, but what are they doing with those 'caissons'? Are they using them to dig out shafts to put the piles in for the foundations? Or building support walls or something around the site? How deep are they driving those things in to the ground? I'd really like to know what they are actually doing at this stage of construction/site prep. It looks like some of the caissons are being sunk inside the hole, and some around the site so they must have different purposes. And is the site all grey mud? It looks like they haven't hit bedrock yet, which I assume is what they want to build on. Thanks for any info you can give!

Last edited by Doomlord_uk; March 28th, 2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: speling
Doomlord_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #5613
WesternburbsTony23

Likes (Received): 0

pure rumor and speculation, but I heard that they are not going to build up until a certain number of units are sold. Again, just heard from some guys downtown I know in construction.
WesternburbsTony23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #5614
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomlord_uk View Post
forgive the ignorance, but what are they doing with those 'caissons'? Are they using them to dig out shafts to put the piles in for the foundations? Or building support walls or something around the site? How deep are they driving those things in to the ground? I'd really like to know what they are actually doing at this stage of construction/site prep. It looks like some of the caissons are being sunk inside the hole, and some around the site so they must have different purposes. And is the site all grey mud? It looks like they haven't hit bedrock yet, which I assume is what they want to build on. Thanks for any info you can give!

They will place a permanent liner (steel) into the caisson holes, place a rebar cage into the hole then fill it with concrete. Those particular caissons are going to bedrock.

It's clay.

The big-big hole where you see the drilling equipment is for the core and it's about 65' - 70' deep. Bedrock is about -110'.
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #5615
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

many thx victor for the pics!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #5616
harryc

March 28 - AM

From above

higer res
2007 series
2008 series

Busy site - even at 7am

Frosted caisson sleeves ( liners )

Core caissons staging area

More pieces for the frame - still not sure what this is for or what it will look like.

Way to go Victor - you are the master of access.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
Old March 29th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #5617
Doomlord_uk

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
They will place a permanent liner (steel) into the caisson holes, place a rebar cage into the hole then fill it with concrete. Those particular caissons are going to bedrock.

It's clay.

The big-big hole where you see the drilling equipment is for the core and it's about 65' - 70' deep. Bedrock is about -110'.
Ah, ok thanks

So they dug down 70' so they'd only have to drive the caissons down another 40' or so? Or they're putting in some kind of structure or concrete bed over those before building in the hole? It's easy to see what's happening but much harder to see why. One thing that strikes me too is that the hole is just for the core - the building is wider than that therefore. Don't foundations generally need to be as wide as the building (if possible)?

image hosted on flickr

And what are those caissons for? The outside of the structure then?

Thanks!
Doomlord_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #5618
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

How sure is this tower to be built? I've read on other forums that their is no financing and it won't be built at all according to his source. Instead, another smaller building will use these foundations.

Zefire liked this post
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #5619
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

A link from my friend over at SSP and a great citizen at SSC too!

Sorry if I beat you to it TUP but there are peoples on-line right now talking about this building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Chicago reaches for the sky
By Hal Weitzman

Published: March 29 2008 00:42 | Last updated: March 29 2008 00:42

A giant blue-and-white painted porcelain egg hangs from the ceiling next to the reception at the Chicago Spire sales centre. Like almost everything else in the space, the egg is the work of Santiago Calatrava, the Spanish star architect. The impact is *powerful and immediate and its message clear: the place you are entering is dedicated to art, design, beauty and perfection. If you do not get it, you probably will not be walking out of the door an hour later clutching a contract for a property in one of the most talked-about developments on the planet.
Financial Times
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #5620
harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomlord_uk View Post
Ah, ok thanks

So they dug down 70' so they'd only have to drive the caissons down another 40' or so? Or they're putting in some kind of structure or concrete bed over those before building in the hole? It's easy to see what's happening but much harder to see why. One thing that strikes me too is that the hole is just for the core - the building is wider than that therefore. Don't foundations generally need to be as wide as the building (if possible)?

image hosted on flickr

And what are those caissons for? The outside of the structure then?

Thanks!
They dug down 70' (60' ?)to put in the mat - a thick web of concrete and rebar - this sits on top of the caissons being installed now. Doing it from the bottom of the pit is new ( to me ).

Most buildings have a central core ( the elevator shaft ) with caissons around it, so does this, the outer pairs are buried now ( at least 3 of the sets ) and are at The N, E and W edges of the site.

The ones you highlighted are for the 70' deep parking garage.

--Niko Bellic

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower