daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #5761
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
It looks more like a drill bit than a ***** to me.
***** never came to mind for me in this case though it did come to mind in the case of the Two International Finance Center in Hong Kong, which does look like a giant ***** to me! I hadn't thought of drill bit either, but it does sort of look like that. I'm glad Chicago is getting it anyway. Here in Miami, our supertalls can only be a few feet above 1,000 because of the proximity to Miami International Airport, and we had to fight to get that much.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #5762
south
always lost

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
What I'm a New Yorker by birth but I was raise in the Mid West. I'm not a fan of this building because, I'm just not and that's my right. Only a fool would point out something that isn't there. Plus even if it was in new york I still wouldn't like. Anyway we don't mike it a point to build skyscrapers in the shapes of a ***** lol. But I can also careless what you think.

a *****, huh? using that logic, it's looking very vaginal in the current construction pics.
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #5763
mightygoose

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by south View Post

a *****, huh? using that logic, it's looking very vaginal in the current construction pics.
I don't think i want to know what kinda women you are dating to make that association :P
Old April 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #5764
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

April 14 - AM

From above

higer res
2007 series
2008 Q1 series
2008 Q2 series

Working on the guide wall for the slurry wall work.

a few more later

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #5765
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Can someone post an overhead pic looking staight into the hole? So that we can actually see what's down there?

Or at least a cut-away? Thanks if you can.

Zefire liked this post
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #5766
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

next time I'll think before I say ***** on the thread. And one person not coming to NYC isn't going to stop the millions of people who come there every year from coming. It's like I said you didn't see a supertall till New York built one. And a skyscraper is any build that dominates the skyline. And yes the word skyscraper was coin in chicago. But that was just the word, the buildings were around long before the term.
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #5767
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I"m staying out of this argument...

Likewise!

Zefire liked this post
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #5768
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
Can someone post an overhead pic looking staight into the hole? So that we can actually see what's down there?

Or at least a cut-away? Thanks if you can.
these are from march 28th, probably not much difference until now:

[IMG]http://i27.************/e9vyb9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i32.************/21o8rc5.jpg[/IMG]
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #5769
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Yeah I'm a jackass I said it looks like a ***** just for his remarks toward me. I don't really think it looks like that. It's a good look building but what else does it have other then high and a twist to the ground. Give me more to look forward to, chicago seems to be the home town of ugly ass supertalls. But you might think I'm just hating and thats your right.

P.s I'm not saying this tower is ugly, I'm just saying some of the city other supertalls are.
Yes, you are a jackass and childish too. and I suppose NY is home of the beautiful supertalls? give me a ******* break...Look at the new ugly ass WTC and all the other ugly ass supertalls proposed in NY, with just one being the exception. You need to get your head out of ur ass before making these stupid comments.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #5770
3521usa

Quote:
Dude we had building over 100 and 200 feet when chicago was still farm land. The word skyscraper might have been coined in chicago but tall buildings weren't invinted there foo. Check you damn timeline NYC was Building taller the 100 feet before chicago had one that was 50. And let not forget your beloved chi town didn't have a supertall till the 1960's and NY has been building them since the 1930's, so who the granddad of tall azz building oh wait that would be New york.

Damn you're a fool. Chicago invented the technology to construct skyscrapers and built the first highrise building. Before telling people to check their timeline, do yourself a favor and check your history books.
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #5771
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

I've noticed that the height between each concrete rings get shorter as going down. WHY?
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #5772
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

No more bring it back up it's done. You people make me sick with your half ass reading of post. Maybe you should read how it start before you put your two cents in. So I deleted it. You talk about my city so I'll talk about your's, a eye for a eye. And I don't like many cities in the USA so being number 3 on my list really means nothing lol. I tried to be the better man know I could careless

Last edited by kingsc; April 17th, 2008 at 08:30 PM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #5773
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

chicago spire!!! more or less same height as russia tower and incheon tower. Incheon tower tallest in its design, but i reckon this competition will lead all three skyscrapers to becoming taller (trying to beat each other)

Last edited by buildmilehightower; April 14th, 2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #5774
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
I've noticed that the height between each concrete rings get shorter as going down. WHY?
It has to do with the fact that the external ground pressure is greater the deeper you go so the ring must be stronger to resist the compression forces. Much in the same way that submarines that go very deep must have hulls much stronger than surface ships.

The increase in force is dependent partially on the type of soil, looser soils create more pressure than harder soils.
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #5775
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

may it take 6 month to se this tower start riseing or how long ?
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #5776
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

[sears tower and wtc are both architectural brilliances.

New York City at dusk

Chi Town's finest
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #5777
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

How long would it take for chicago spire base to look like freedom tower base of now?

This photo of chicago spire base is weird. by looking at top of the picture or floors by the glass, the floors extend out to the edge (obviously), but looking at bottom ot the core, it looks like the tower itself is rising from just core size. Unlike other towers the base doesn't have floors wide as the whole tower, making it look like just core and tent wraping around the core and maybe less weight support for the outer floors above. (hope it makes sense)

Old April 14th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #5778
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

This is foundation from above time ago

[
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #5779
3521usa

Quote:
Chicago has a look at me state of mind. I mean what is it your city know for really. And you can't talk about WTC. Look how ugly the empty as sears tower is. I bet you think your doing something in the Chi don't you. I bet you even think chicago's a world class city. But I'm sorry to tell you it really isn't. Your city sucks I mean it really sucks. But I ain't here to trash chi town. Oh yeah you might want to get your face in a book and quit getting your info off the internet. I've read the time lines and chicago having the first skyscraper doesn't add up. They had what some could call the first skyscrapers in France.

But I'm sick of talking with a bunch of know nothings. I told the truth and facts if a buildings ugly it's ugly. But it's like I said this building isn't ugly but the sear tower is.

Now lets stop city bashing. There great city's in their own right's. All the nonsense aside chicago happens to be my second favorite midwest city beside Columbus. And it's my third fav city in the USA. We're all americans right guys, Where all humans. Then lets act like it. We should all be happy we have amazing buildings on our planet that we all can sure and be proud off.
Dude, you are pathetic and you're not getting off that easy, nice try though. It's sad when some New Yorkers who for whatever reasons are insecure about their city try to bash other cities to make themselves feel good. What's even more sad is when FAKE ass New Yorker wannabes do it. With that said, remember where you're from and stop trying to act all high and mighty by claiming New York. You're from the midwest, columbus? so don't let leaving in New York go to your head because you'll always be an Ohio native and I'm going to leave it at that. If Chicago had a look at me state of mind you would see flashy billboards and lights everywhere but you don't so quit pulling shit out of your ass because Chicago doesn't need to be flashy. Now, Sears tower might not be the best looking building and no one is claiming it is but at least it's still standing unlike those two ugly boxes called wtc. I bet you think you're doing something in New York but what is your hometown of Columbus known for? Your opinion of Chicago not being world class is just that an opinion and just like an ******* everybody has one but the fact is Chicago is a world class city. I know for a fact that you're getting your info out of your ass because all of it is bullshit and inaccurate. Anyway the whole wtc complex is ugly, both the new and the old ones.

Btw, I too am tired of talking with a know nothing idiot who's from columbus but now is clinging to ny's balls and now is trying to bash Chicago.

Now, lets stop city bashing. they're great cities in their own rights. New York happens to be my 3rd favorite city and half of my family lives there but I will check them or anyone who comes to Chicago thinking they're all high and mighty. Yes, we are all Americans and we are all humans so lets act like the civilized beings I know we are. I'm proud to be a Chicagoan as well as an American so God Bless America.

P.s. check your grammar.

Last edited by 3521usa; May 3rd, 2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #5780
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3521usa View Post
Damn you're a fool. Chicago invented the technology to construct skyscrapers and built the first highrise building. Before telling people to check their timeline, do yourself a favor and check your history books.
well said
Quote:
Chicago has a look at me state of mind. I mean what is it your city know for really. And you can't talk about WTC. Look how ugly the empty as sears tower is. I bet you think your doing something in the Chi don't you. I bet you even think chicago's a world class city. But I'm sorry to tell you it really isn't. Your city sucks I mean it really sucks. But I ain't here to trash chi town. Oh yeah you might want to get your face in a book and quit getting your info off the internet. I've read the time lines and chicago having the first skyscraper doesn't add up. They had what some could call the first skyscrapers in France.

But I'm sick of talking with a bunch of know nothings. I told the truth and facts if a buildings ugly it's ugly. But it's like I said this building isn't ugly but the sear tower is.

Now lets stop city bashing. There great city's in their own right's. All the nonsense aside chicago happens to be my second favorite midwest city beside Columbus. And it's my third fav city in the USA. We're all americans right guys, Where all humans. Then lets act like it. We should all be happy we have amazing buildings on our planet that we all can sure and be proud off.
boy, u dont know what your talking about. a skyscraper has be 10 or more floors to be called a "skyscraper". and you shouldn't be talking about Chicago, look at your skyline, i wouldn't even call it a skyline. its so f**king dense its pathetic. and new york has a shit load of boring box towers. and u guys call it architecture. at least Chicago looks how a building will affect its surroundings. not like new york. they just propose, app and build. they dont think about how it will effect the skyline. new york is a joke, for having a great skyline. And you said you can't talk about WTC, well at least the sears is still standing. the sears tower is more of a american icon the the wtc will ever be. every since the wtc was attacked it was finally known around the world. beofe the attack they where never really known. and it was even said by the architect of the wtc. but the sears is and was more known. yeah, at least Chicago isnt dirty, like new york. Chicago placed one of the cleanest cities in the usa. new york wasn't even on the top 5

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower