daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #561
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

RE: The Silk Exchange, Valencia and The Chicago Spire

"There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know."
-- Harry Truman

Very interesting posts.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #562
ricardo

Likes (Received): 1

Now that the mayor won again. How long do we have to wait for any new news, and lets hope is good.
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #563
creil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
Now that the mayor won again. How long do we have to wait for any new news, and lets hope is good.
More importantly, what happens if this holds up:

Alderman - Ward 42 - General
57 of 69 Precincts Reporting - 82.61%
Reilly, Brendan 5,613 54.19
Natarus, Burton (i) 4,745 45.81

And by "good" do you mean the people of Chicago not settling for this sorry replacement of a true masterpiece just so we can have the tallest building in the country?
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #564
lazar22b

Likes (Received): 0

Lets get Natarus out of there!!
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #565
Chitowner245

Quote:
And by "good" do you mean the people of Chicago not settling for this sorry replacement of a true masterpiece just so we can have the tallest building in the country?

Well said. This project lost its integrity. Most people want it built, but I think we Chicagoans shouldn't settle for great height alone. The original design was breathtaking to say the least. This project has proven to time and time again compromise Calatrava's original intent of architectural art in exchange for more profits. Not to say it's any surprise since it happens all the time in developments, but I'm still disappointed to have seen this thing progress the way it has.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #566
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
Well said. This project lost its integrity. Most people want it built, but I think we Chicagoans shouldn't settle for great height alone. The original design was breathtaking to say the least. This project has proven to time and time again compromise Calatrava's original intent of architectural art in exchange for more profits. Not to say it's any surprise since it happens all the time in developments, but I'm still disappointed to have seen this thing progress the way it has.
The first design was unrealistic, un-buildable and would have been unprofitable. You people need to get over the first design. This project by no means has lost its integrity, and no-one is settling on the design for its shear height, but because we believe it to be something special. Because of how the structure would have been, there would have only been a small part of sellable floor space.

I find it ironic that when Petronas won "the world's tallest building" title with the help of a spire, Chicagoans bitched and moaned, but when it's out turn for a mega-tall, and the spire is removed and replaced with actual structure, people bitch and moan again, but for the opposite reason.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #567
headcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazar22b View Post
Lets get Natarus out of there!!
Apparently he conceded.

I still don't know how I feel about Riley, the night we meet him everything he said was political double talk.

SSDD
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #568
headcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
The first design was unrealistic, un-buildable and would have been unprofitable. You people need to get over the first design. This project by no means has lost its integrity, and no-one is settling on the design for its shear height, but because we believe it to be something special. Because of how the structure would have been, there would have only been a small part of sellable floor space.
Honestly when I go back and look at the original design, I'm not nearly as excited about it as well when it first came out. Taken on their individual merits, I've liked every design of the building, but I like the original the least. I think this is like people talking about the "good old days", everything looks better in hinesight.

SSDD
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #569
ricardo

I really do not care how tall it is. I do like the new design. This is a masterpiece, if this building would have been in any other city most of us will be saying wow. All i am afraid of is that if this building is not build we might have another cheap box with glass.
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #570
creil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
I really do not care how tall it is. I do like the new design. This is a masterpiece, if this building would have been in any other city most of us will be saying wow. All i am afraid of is that if this building is not build we might have another cheap box with glass.
If people are going to build a cheap box with glass then they have several other lakefront locations to do it. That's the least of my worries. I don't like the idea of this building defining the Chicago skyline. If we have to go with this particular design I'd rather see it scaled down quite a bit so that it doesn't dominate.
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #571
creil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I know that the first design was difficult from a financial perspective, but I never heard that it was unrealistic and un-buildable. Can you explain?

Quote:
I find it ironic that when Petronas won "the world's tallest building" title with the help of a spire, Chicagoans bitched and moaned, but when it's out turn for a mega-tall, and the spire is removed and replaced with actual structure, people bitch and moan again, but for the opposite reason.
I could care less about the height of the spire vs. structure. In the end, can anyone stand at the base of Sears and then go stand at the base of Petronas and say, "Oh yeah, this one is higher, therefore making it superior"? No. I want a structure of this size to enhance the skyline, not dominate it. The first design had the elegence to do so. I'll take beauty over height any day.
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:03 AM   #572
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Taken from SOAR's website: http://soarchicago.org/Spire032007.cfm

March 26, 2007
6-7 PM
Kelleher, Calatrava, and Perkins + Will

Also mentions that CS will be on the April 19 agenda.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:00 AM   #573
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

is that good news or bad news

Zefire liked this post
megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:40 AM   #574
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I know that the first design was difficult from a financial perspective, but I never heard that it was unrealistic and un-buildable. Can you explain?
When the construction estimates ballooned from $500M to over $1B the building became completely unrealistic. The cost to purchase a unit in the tower would have been prohibitively high and no bank would have backed it.
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:31 AM   #575
creil

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
When the construction estimates ballooned from $500M to over $1B the building became completely unrealistic. The cost to purchase a unit in the tower would have been prohibitively high and no bank would have backed it.

Right, but there was no structural problem with the design, correct? Financials aside.
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM   #576
SNT1

Likes (Received): 12

I could also go on on how The Illinois is a much more awesome building than the Burj Dubai (as an example), but it doesn't matter; The Illinois is just a vision. Ver. A and B is pretty much like that, a vision. While the CS is also designed to attract people with its architecture, I honestly think its main purpose is to sell condos and make money. Ver. A and B. might as well be a very large statue.

Looking back, the antenna'd versions, estimated at 500 million USD, is way too optimistic.
SNT1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #577
spyguy
Expert

Didn't post this here for some reason

Taken from SOAR's website: http://soarchicago.org/Spire032007.cfm

March 26, 2007
6-7 PM
Kelleher, Calatrava, and Perkins + Will

Also mentions that CS will be on the April 19 agenda.
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #578
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

I got signed up to go to that meeting even though I'm not really from Streeterville. But I can't see the harm in attending. :-\
depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #579
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder07.article

CALENDAR NOTE:

At 5:30 p.m. Monday, the Chicago Architecture Foundation hosts a presentation on the Chicago spire, the proposed 2,000-foot-tall building on the lakefront by architect Santiago Calatrava. Developer Garrett Kelleher will do the presenting. It'll be interesting to see which version he uses. The event is at the ArchiCenter, 224 S. Michigan, and details are at www.architecture.org.
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #580
ChgoLvr83

Posted by LA21st on SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Good news from OUC (Office of Underground Coordination)!

They applied for more permits for borings. OUC said construction is getting closer. Its not caissons, but OUC said they are the next step.

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower