daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:36 PM   #5901
UniversalDiablo

Likes (Received): 0

yea but GOL2007 and Krattle, remember this is Chicago, not New York.
UniversalDiablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM   #5902
Zabonz
Master Planner

Likes (Received): 1351

You don't need to run them out. Now the Land there will be more attractive so it will not be strange that some investor offers big money to owners of those condos to build building with allot more sq feet. They will probably accept such money or they will maybe get bigger apartment in new skyscraper that will investor build there.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:57 PM   #5903
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

looks easy for Alain Robert to climb up there
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM   #5904
DiazZ

Comparison

Because of the darkness of the mockup testing I don't think the spire will look as pure white and blue/greenish as showed on the renders.

here's a little comparison between the render and a photshopped render that looks more like a real picture. Because renders make things look really plastic and way too sharp
DiazZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM   #5905
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

that is a very tacky looking facade.
and whats with the green tint and tan panels? looooool
would of looked better plain and silver imo.

Does anyone have a height comparison diagram of the cs with other buildings in chicago, sears, aon...?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM   #5906
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak3m View Post
Does anyone have a height comparison diagram of the cs with other buildings in chicago, sears, aon...?
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?c4
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:29 PM   #5907
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

yeah, the facade looks a bit tacky from these mock ups but who know's if this is the real end result? i'll just reserve my judgement for later when this thing starts going up.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:51 PM   #5908
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

It will look a lot better when it starts to go up. Relax people.....
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:09 PM   #5909
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

that tan part looks like Gold behind glass to me, maybe is a last minute lighting design added for night effect.

Zefire liked this post
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:22 PM   #5910
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3521usa View Post
yeah, the facade looks a bit tacky from these mock ups but who know's if this is the real end result? i'll just reserve my judgement for later when this thing starts going up.
That's what I tend to do, reserve judgment until you start seeing some progress which is kinda hard to do.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:33 AM   #5911
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10143

sorry guys, didnt realise i couldnt post facade mockups, so deleted.
maybe next time ;-)
Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:57 AM   #5912
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Why not? Well thanks anyway though, that was a great contribution while it lasted.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM   #5913
DRH

From ChicagoRealEstateDaily.com

Spire developer missed property tax deadlines

By Thomas A. Corfman, April 23, 2008

(Crain’s) — Garrett Kelleher failed to pay nearly $430,000 in property taxes due nearly two months ago on the proposed site of the Spire, even as the Irish developer was launching a lavish, five-city Asian tour to trumpet the massive skyscraper.

The tax payments were due March 4 on a 2.2-acre site along the north bank of the Chicago River that Mr. Kelleher acquired in 2006, reviving a stalled proposal by another developer for a twisting tower to be designed by prominent architect Santiago Calatrava.

Three days after the taxes were due, Mr. Kelleher, executive chairman of Shelbourne Development Group Inc., began courting prospective condominium buyers during a lavish road show that started in Singapore and was scheduled to include Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

A spokeswoman for the 150-story Spire at first insisted that the property taxes had been paid. But later she confirmed that the taxes were past due and blamed an error in the address for the tax bills.

The 2,000-foot-tall Spire project would challenge even the most seasoned developers. And the failure to manage a routine task like property taxes raises questions about Mr. Kelleher’s ability to complete a multi-billion dollar project that demands the highest level of concentration.

“The attention to detail in this project itself is huge,” the spokeswoman said. “I can tell you from being part of some of the design meetings and some of the other projects that they have going within this building that the attention to detail is absolutely minute.”

The property taxes, which now total nearly $442,000 including penalties, were to be paid Tuesday afternoon, she said.

The Spire site, 400 N. Lake Shore Drive, is actually five adjacent parcels with separate tax bills. The Spire spokeswoman said four of the five tax bills were sent to the wrong address. But she could not explain why the fifth bill, which was sent to the correct address, hadn’t been paid.

A change-of-address form for all five parcels was submitted Nov. 12 to the Cook County Treasurer’s office, she said.

The March 4 payment date is at least the third time Shelbourne has been behind in its property taxes. The Dec. 3 payment was made 11 days late. The March 1, 2007, taxes weren’t paid until May 21 of that year.

The spokeswoman said she did not know why those tax payments were also late.

The tax gaffe is one of several missteps for Mr. Kelleher as he endeavors to build the 1,194-unit skyscraper. In November, he abruptly learned that he did not control a key parcel where he had intended to build.

While Mr. Kelleher has altered the below-ground plans for the project, a lawsuit filed by neighbors in Cook County Circuit Court is still pending.

In September, Mr. Kelleher pushed back the start of condo marketing until January because of a delay with regulatory filings required by the federal government.

Case Foundation Co. is expected to finish its work on the foundation in late June at the earliest, the Spire spokeswoman said. The Roselle-based contractor has been working on the project since June 2007.

Although Shelbourne has not yet hired a general contractor, but construction will continue uninterrupted after Case is finished, the spokeswoman said. Most developers hire all of the contractors through the general contractor. But Shelbourne’s “way of doing business” awarding some of those jobs directly to the specialized firms, she said.

“It’s not necessarily done the traditional way,” she said.
DRH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM   #5914
walrus357

Likes (Received): 1126

while scrolling on the hi def rendering posted by culwulla, i thought for a sec that the spire is actually rotating like a drill bit...try it.
walrus357 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:28 PM   #5915
FTL Beach Bum

Likes (Received): 656

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiazZ View Post
Because of the darkness of the mockup testing I don't think the spire will look as pure white and blue/greenish as showed on the renders.

here's a little comparison between the render and a photshopped render that looks more like a real picture. Because renders make things look really plastic and way too sharp

Perhaps. But I still think the saturation of the glass color needs to be up a notch or two. Your rendering appears almost solid grey, which may be the case with the (aluminum?) panels, but the glass should still show its color well under that particular lighting condition.

See Marina Blue, Miami...Appears to be the same shade on its southeast face as the Spire:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900Biscayneguy View Post
1/17/08
FTL Beach Bum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:50 PM   #5916
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

Congrats to Chicago

Its only natural that people will critique the positives and negatives of this tower....but I personally think this is a great building for Chicago. This is a truly unique design and the building will fit well with the skyline. I'm a New Yorker and that will always be my city....but....I'm happy to see that at least Chicago is stepping up to the plate and constructing a modern supertall. I just wish New York wasnt so influenced by the Nimby trash we have here....but ultimately I'm an American...and I'm glad to see this country, as a whole, keep the architectural edge.....even if its in Chicago instead of New York. Congratulations Chicago!!....
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #5917
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

April 23 - Noon

From above

higer res
2007 series
2008 Q1 series
2008 Q2 series

For really big plumbing problems ... call C.J. Erickson Plumbing Co.

Only a few sets ( 2? ) of slurry wall mats left.

Waiting for the next phase ?

Slurry action
Suck it up.

Seperate the heavy crud ( directly into scoop )

"clean" slurry out

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #5918
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10143

good update
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #5919
andydie

Likes (Received): 25

latest video update online!

Hiya guys,

enjoy my latest video update for the awesome Spire:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlF6bCAFyM

Music: DJ Wag - The Day the Earth caught Fire
andydie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #5920
rikarchitecten

Likes (Received): 3

Too bad the 7 South Dearborn design was never approved, that design was really astonishing to me:

rikarchitecten no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower