daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #601
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

^YAH! I forgot about that...somebody on here had to of attended it...PLEASE SHARE!
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #602
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Awww That remind me alot of my childhood back in southern California. When I see the construction site, I always like hey mom! look what they're building new shopping mall, homes, shopping center, office complex and apartment complex.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #603
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

There is some info about it in this Trib article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #604
ricardo

Likes (Received): 1

Great news. I love the idea of the swiming pool. As far as traffic what are they afraid of? Like all of the tendants are coming and going at the same time. Give me a break you are getting a masterpiece a park and a bridge shot the hell up and let it happen.
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #605
Chi649

Absolutely. Is traffic really that bad in the area? I really only go there on the weekends but traffic always seems very lite. I'd imagine at rush hour it is bad but where isn't it?
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #606
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Maybe the fact that the people living here will be very rich, which means they're not likely to be there a lot (other homes), and if they do go out, it will be via limosine should be told to SOAR.
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #607
Soulbrotha
abdulsharifshoots.com

Likes (Received): 41

that thing is amazing
Soulbrotha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #608
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

and lets not forget a large % will not be chicago residents and will only use the condos for businesss or leasure tripps . remember , hes trying to appeal to the intrenational crowd

Zefire liked this post
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #609
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Skyscraper details released

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

Skyscraper details released

By Blair Kamin
Tribune architecture critic

Published March 12, 2007, 9:23 PM CDT

Two weeks from disclosing their final plan for the nation's tallest building, the project's developer and architect offered fresh details Monday night, trying to calm fears about traffic and presenting their own plan for a nearby park to honor Chicago's founding father.

"We have given a lot of importance to the relationship to the city," said the skyscraper's architect, Zurich-based Santiago Calatrava, whose designs include the birdlike addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum.

But Calatrava and Dublin-based developer Garrett Kelleher did not win over the leader of the Streeterville Organization of Active Residents (SOAR), an influential citizens' group. SOAR will hold the first public meeting on March 26 about the proposed Chicago Spire, a 2,000-foot, twisting design that has won worldwide attention.

"They didn't get into traffic at all. We need a lot more information on traffic," Gail Spreen, SOAR's president, said in an interview after Kelleher and Calatrava made a presentation that dwelled on the project's ground-level features at the Chicago Architecture Foundation, 224 S. Michigan Ave.

Addressing Calatrava's plan for the lakefront green space that would recognize Jean Baptiste Pointe du Sable, a trader considered Chicago's first non-native resident, Spreen termed it "very interesting."

But she cited a coalition of groups that has worked for years with the Chicago Park District to develop a plan for the 3.24-acre park, which would sit just east of Lake Shore Drive and the proposed skyscraper. "To just dismiss their plans isn't right," she said.

Calatrava, however, stressed his plan incorporates many features suggested by the coalition, such as areas for education, fishing and wetlands, and he observed that his design would work with new pedestrian bridges he is proposing along the lakefront bike path.

"We put all of that together," he said, calling the coalition's efforts "heroic."

Meant to house about 1,300 high-priced condominiums, the 150-story Chicago Spire would rise on a now-vacant site west of Lake Shore Drive along two-lane East North Water Street in the already congested Streeterville neighborhood.

At 2,000 feet, it would be 550 feet higher than the 1,450-foot Sears Tower, now the tallest building in the U.S. The Chicago Plan Commission is expected to review the proposal April 19.

Addressing skeptics who contend he lacks the economic might to build the tower, Kelleher said that it would be financed through a combination of debt and equity, adding that the Anglo Irish Bank "is fully committed to the project." He did not offer details.

He also skirted questions about the price range for the condominium units, saying that the most expensive condos in Chicago sell for $1,200 per square foot while the top-of-the-market condos in London go for $9,000 per square foot.

Condos in the Chicago Spire, he quipped, would be "somewhere in there," drawing laughter from the crowd.

Kelleher has consistently declined to specify the skyscraper's construction cost.

Calatrava's DuSable Park plan calls for two hills at the park's west edge that would rise to the lower level of Lake Shore Drive, joining with tall trees to shield the park from the noise and pollution of car traffic.

The architect would leave room for passageways running beneath Lake Shore Drive that would lead to the park from East North Water Street and the walkway on the Chicago River's north bank.

Chicago architect John Syvertsen, chairman of the architecture foundation's board, was impressed with Calatrava's greening of the skyscraper's environs. "It seems as if it was harder, and now it's soft," he said of the landscape around the tower.

Addressing traffic concerns, Calatrava showed images of Zurich with narrow streets and other features meant to slow cars. He wants to "guarantee to neighbors how [North] Water Street will not become a highway," he said.

Calatrava also disclosed Monday that he is suggesting that the skyscraper have an above-ground, indoor circular lap pool that would allow condo owners to swim alongside the tower's glass walls, making the entire circuit of the building.

Kelleher said, though, that he hasn't signed off on the idea.

[email protected]
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #610
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

I don't like the new rendering at all why they scrapped the "spire"?
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #611
Chi649

To increase the number of condos. This will make the project more economically feasible.
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #612
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

and i think 150F sounds much better than 124F ( which is also a big number already)
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #613
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

New Renders:

Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #614
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

looking better than the others, not so thin at top
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #615
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Looks good, real good. But now it really does look like a *****.
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #616
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

Looks like the empire state building....

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #617
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoLvr83 View Post
If youre talking about the podium that the tower sat on in the first design, its no longer part of the project.
That is unacceptable!

The new "renders" are the best-looking since the original, in fact I may prefer this design!
Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #618
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvesterofsorrows View Post
I don't think it looks anything like the Empire State Building, if anything, it looks like one of the Petronas.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #619
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvesterofsorrows View Post
lol, the design has nothing to do with the ESP
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #620
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
lol, the design has nothing to do with the ESP
I think he may mean its so much bigger then anything around it, or maybe he's just crazy.

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower