daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #641
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
This looks like its going into the constuction phase. I didnt read the whole thread so can anyone tell me if its going to really happen? If Chicago doesnt have the worlds tallest anymore it will have the US by far. New York...ur turn.
Well, the design is forever being refined, but there is a little preliminary work on the site as we can see by the above pic posts by Retrograde. It had to go back to Council for re-approval, therefore we now see a further refinement. So we would assume @ this stage it almost seems a certainty.

More from BVictor1 on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
CHICAGO SPIRE UPDATE 02/16/07

-This project probably won't come before the planning commission until April

-The development team has been meeting with different city departments over the past few weeks.

-They still want to begin drilling caissons sometime in July. I was told July 1, but we know how that usually goes.

-A sales center should be opening around the same time as the drilling of caissons begin. Sometime in July.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #642
JR
Never Forget

Likes (Received): 0

Wow.. It actually sounds like this might happen. Chicago really deserves to have the tallest in the US. Awesome city.
JR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #643
Chitowner245

I was in love with the two earliest versions. I hate this building more and more as they keep re-designing it. The JHC and Sears may have been "out of place" when they were built, but this thing has become just plain ridiculous. It's not intimidating, awe-inspiring, and has absolutely no reflection of Chicago, or Chicago architecture. If they put a spire on it to make its summit better (and the building taller) I'll never say anything bad about it again, but as it stands now I hate it and hope my beloved city doesn't let this thing get built as is.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #644
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

So is the scaling more accurate now?

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #645
SNT1

Likes (Received): 12

^enemy of the state!

hahah, j/m, your opinion, although I never really saw someone who doesn't want it built. Lots of ppl prefer the statue, I mean ver A and B, but would rather see CS built anyways, even if its ver C D or this one (Is this still ver D?)
SNT1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #646
SNT1

I realized, that put a spire on this latest render (the beam of light works) and it has the silhouette of Petronas. Maybe its just me, though
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #647
Chitowner245

It's certainly just my opinion. Chances are if built, it'll probably just "grow on me" or something of that nature. I just get a little sad when I see earlier renderings of this building; they were truly spectacular. IMO.
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #648
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
This looks like its going into the constuction phase. I didnt read the whole thread so can anyone tell me if its going to really happen? If Chicago doesnt have the worlds tallest anymore it will have the US by far. New York...ur turn.
Well... USA has many cities... We don't always have to depend on Chicago or New York City for next world's tallest buildlings. There are many US cities can do it too. Las Vegas is getting there too but not tallest building in the world but one of them.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #649
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
I was in love with the two earliest versions. I hate this building more and more as they keep re-designing it. The JHC and Sears may have been "out of place" when they were built, but this thing has become just plain ridiculous. It's not intimidating, awe-inspiring, and has absolutely no reflection of Chicago, or Chicago architecture. If they put a spire on it to make its summit better (and the building taller) I'll never say anything bad about it again, but as it stands now I hate it and hope my beloved city doesn't let this thing get built as is.
If only people were truly this passionate about some of the actually craptastic stuff going up instead of the CS...
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #650
Chitowner245

^ This is something I speak out against more so than other buildings simply because of its significance in our skyline and pure size. A lot of other buildings I don't like at all are hidden in the city more, but you're still right. I should definitely take stronger stands against less significant buildings as well. This one just gets me so worked up since it'll over take the Sears, and become an icon for our city with its height and unorthodox form. It could be the building I want it to be, but it's fallen from my graces for the time being. I think Mr. Trump isn't just talking trash about this building; I think he may be right in a lot of ways with his criticism.
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #651
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
Nice redesign... now I don't know whether to hate it or smoke it.

This tower went from ugly -> beautiful -> doobie.

Any guesses on shapes future redesign iterations before its finalized?

... -> umbrella? -> onion? -> parakeet? --> ?....
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #652
ricardo

Likes (Received): 1

I disagree with chitowner. First Mr Trump has hated this building since the day it was anounced do to the fact that is taller and is being design by calatrava. Mr Trump has always wanted his buildings to be the best. I thank god that his new building is not gold. Lets wait to see more renderings of the spire and then we judge. I learned one thing regarding renderings they never seems to look like the final product.
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #653
SNT1

I'm kinda curious about a 'next rendering' as it may very well be an entirely new shape once again Then theres that final product that wont be looking like the final rendering anyway <.<

As for Trump, well... I believe he is most definitely just talking trash indeed; he won't ever admit CS' advantages over TTC; her wants people to just buy his damned condos
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #654
prelude91

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
... now I don't know whether to hate it or smoke it.
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #655
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1 View Post
I realized, that put a spire on this latest render (the beam of light works) and it has the silhouette of Petronas. Maybe its just me, though
That's what I was trying to say....

But wuth the EMpire.

Silohuette

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #656
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

It was my fault for my lack of expectations management. They tried to warn us that it was more of a snubnosed bullet than a rocket.

Oh well, git 'er done anyway.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #657
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Hmm... I would HATE putting a spire on this. It's already similar to the Petronas Towers, adding a spire would just seal the deal. Hell, why don't we just hire Pelli to replace Calatrava while we're at it?

I want something NEW to become Chicago's icon, not a tower inspired by the building that stole our record by cheating. Say what you will about every version prior to this, but they were all unique, creative, and revolutionary.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #658
Ithaqua

Looks awesome.
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #659
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

oh the thin top looks so retarded
zee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #660
ricardo

Likes (Received): 1

I Don't think it looks like the petrona tower at all. This rendering of the building is from far away.
I really like this design, but i not going to judge anything untill the final rendering is out.
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower