daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM   #6581
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Yawn... please go away!

Zefire liked this post
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:06 AM   #6582
andydie

Likes (Received): 25

new update video online!

Hiya fans and friends,

here comes a new video update for the awesome Spire for you all to enjoy :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdzFp4X6GEw

Music: Megara vs. DJ Lee - Full Intention (Club Mix)
andydie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:08 PM   #6583
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
What an excellent view one must get from those houses!! Although to some, having a massive construction site next door is detrimental, I'd gladly move in.
The Pimp from "SSP" is selling his house next door to the Spire. He's moving do to the construction. All it takes is a cool million plus.

Zefire liked this post
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:23 AM   #6584
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
....are we ready to stick a fork in this one yet?
Yesterday, on the radio, I heard that over 30% of the units are already sold.
What is your beef?

Whether you like it or not, this building is going to be completed

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:49 AM   #6585
Helmet Yawn

Likes (Received): 0

i 100% hope it gets built and that they'll find enough buyers worldwide to sell out. it will raise the bar in residential architecture in this P & H and lowenberg lowest common denominator city once and for all. i'm still a little suspect though because left & right, experienced chicago developers with a track record in this city and marketplace have commented to me this project is iffy at best especially in this current financial market. i'm hoping the foreign investors are really going to come through in the end.

that being said...i also hope they finally give it a top....again..., because you have to judge architecture of this caliper- i.e., one that SAYS it's going to change the world in its ads- by what it IS, not how close it gets to what it could've been.

if this building was designed by someone named joey calatrava and not santiago calatrava, would you honestly be as excited by this CURRENT version? the original fordham version is still the best out of all of them.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:58 AM   #6586
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

you really think the original version is best?

Last edited by Chicagophotoshop; July 3rd, 2008 at 05:07 AM.
Chicagophotoshop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:59 AM   #6587
Helmet Yawn

i really think it is. the striations along the sides are more restrained (there's less of them) but project much deeper towards the core. their plan sections change as they rise as well, ultimately flattening out and becoming coplanar at the spire/antenna base.

overall, the building feels less static to me. i think the best part of the current design is the base. imagine that base on this tower....it just seems more like a completed architectural thought to me. but again, it's just my opinion. =)
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:44 AM   #6588
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

July 2, 2008

Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:20 AM   #6589
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeps View Post
The Pimp from "SSP" is selling his house next door to the Spire. He's moving do to the construction. All it takes is a cool million plus.
Haha, sorry, too poor!!

Thanks for the update
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #6590
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

July 02 - Lunch

From above

higer res
2007 series
2008 Q1 series
2008 Q2 series

Plumbing work

Neighbors

Some caisson tops re-buried

Updates will be a bit spotty over the next few weeks due to holidays, training, and camping.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #6591
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

I don't venture into this territory often but I just want to say well done Chicago on getting such a forward thinking and wonderful skyscraper.

If only we could build this in Canary Wharf, without the damn height restrictions.
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #6592
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
i 100% hope it gets built and that they'll find enough buyers worldwide to sell out. it will raise the bar in residential architecture in this P & H and lowenberg lowest common denominator city once and for all. i'm still a little suspect though because left & right, experienced chicago developers with a track record in this city and marketplace have commented to me this project is iffy at best especially in this current financial market. i'm hoping the foreign investors are really going to come through in the end.

that being said...i also hope they finally give it a top....again..., because you have to judge architecture of this caliper- i.e., one that SAYS it's going to change the world in its ads- by what it IS, not how close it gets to what it could've been.

if this building was designed by someone named joey calatrava and not santiago calatrava, would you honestly be as excited by this CURRENT version? the original fordham version is still the best out of all of them.
I wonder who the experienced developers you talked to are? Because it's obvious to me that the lack the balls, capital, will, and know how to even attempt a project of this magnitude.

Of course the market is iffy, why do you think Kelleher took this project on a world tour? His health?

The top is fine, it doesn't need a damn flagpole or spire to acomplish it's height goal or to be the exclamation point of the design.

If someone named Joey Calatrava had designed it, I feel we would all be just as excited as we are. Many of us aren't looking looking at a name in order to judge the tower, we're looking at the design itself. If Loewenberg himself has designed this tower (not that he has the artistic capability) we'd be praising it.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #6593
netgeek77

Likes (Received): 1

I don't understand why all the bashing on people when they express their opinion. Isn't what a forum is for?
netgeek77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #6594
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

July 2, 2008

Old July 4th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #6595
tigidig14
Mucho Mandingo Papi

WOW im glad, i pass through there once and wondered what was that hol
tigidig14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #6596
zYgote

I'm pretty certain that hole reaches the earth's core.
zYgote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #6597
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgeek77 View Post
I don't understand why all the bashing on people when they express their opinion. Isn't what a forum is for?
welcome to the forum. you are absolutely right. people are allowed to express any opinion they want. and others are allowed to give an opinion on that opinion

you'll notice a trend with yawn's posts. he consistently says buildings like trump and 1 museum park are ugly, and the spire wont get built, blah blah blah. bottom line, is these buildings are not ugly. and if one thinks that, then they really cant appreciate skyscrapers....as most of us do around here. and whats annoying is that he claims to almost be some authority on what a good building should look like.
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #6598
Helmet Yawn

i've always said that i was surprised as to how much i ended up liking the sculptural quality of trump's building and i have repeatedly used it as a specific benchmark for not liking 1 museum park, a highrise that appears to only attempt to look good from certain angles.

i also don't like aqua because as i've mentioned before, it is a facade-ectomy of a jim lowenberg building ordered by the city's planning department for the last lakeshore east pad. jeanne gang's husband mark is the real brains of the operation and i wish he was allowed to take more credit for it.

the spire is a great opportunity for this city to make a next step architecturally, but in a world where developers can't even make a 200 unit building work in this current market, i often point out that a lot of people i know who are authorities don't really know what to make out of kelleher, a man who left chicago as a painting contractor and returns a few years later as a renowned developer.

the best high rise in the city is contemporaine and i hold that as my current favorite of the new breed.

i joined this site not to make friends or maintain friendships. i wanted to find a place to talk to professionals but also ordinary people about chicago architecture. when one works in this business for over 35 years, one can often get stagnant in his tastes. a board like this is a great chance to stay current. that's why i joined. that's why despite a brief self-imposed break from it, i'll continue to voice my opinion.

welcome netgeek77. looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #6599
netgeek77

Likes (Received): 1

I like the original design as well. It looks classier and more contemporary. The antenna creates an illusion that it gets slimmer on top, thus feels more complete. In contrast, aside being too phallic, the current design looks like a braided bread from certain pictures.

With that being said, I still like the current design and hope that it gets built, not just because I have a bet with a friend but I think it would add a very distinguish flavor to Chicago architecture along the river.

By the way, how do you post images here?
netgeek77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #6600
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

even deeper, they came out on the other side of the earth already!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower