daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #6601
urbanpln

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
i've always said that i was surprised as to how much i ended up liking the sculptural quality of trump's building and i have repeatedly used it as a specific benchmark for not liking 1 museum park, a highrise that appears to only attempt to look good from certain angles.

i also don't like aqua because as i've mentioned before, it is a facade-ectomy of a jim lowenberg building ordered by the city's planning department for the last lakeshore east pad. jeanne gang's husband mark is the real brains of the operation and i wish he was allowed to take more credit for it.

the spire is a great opportunity for this city to make a next step architecturally, but in a world where developers can't even make a 200 unit building work in this current market, i often point out that a lot of people i know who are authorities don't really know what to make out of kelleher, a man who left chicago as a painting contractor and returns a few years later as a renowned developer.

the best high rise in the city is contemporaine and i hold that as my current favorite of the new breed.

i joined this site not to make friends or maintain friendships. i wanted to find a place to talk to professionals but also ordinary people about chicago architecture. when one works in this business for over 35 years, one can often get stagnant in his tastes. a board like this is a great chance to stay current. that's why i joined. that's why despite a brief self-imposed break from it, i'll continue to voice my opinion.

welcome netgeek77. looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
I welcome your opinion even if I don't agree with all your post. Sometimes I think people take it a little too personal and you can't blame them for reacting to your comments. Many are really excited to see the city blossoming. I also love this city and have been blessed to work in urban planning which gives me an opportunity to help improve my little corner of this wonderful place. After traveling to many parts of the world, I am cofident in knowing it is one of the world great cities but, that doesn't mean everything we do here is perfect or can't be improved. There were a lot of wonderful and bull shit buildings constructed during the last building boom so, I am happy that there are forumers like yourself who can discuss the good and the bad intelligently although you do lean more towards the bad (personally it's fine with me). Anyways I hope you continue to post your searing comments, they helps me look at these project differently.

Last edited by urbanpln; July 6th, 2008 at 06:12 PM.
urbanpln no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #6602
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Somewhere in India.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #6603
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

the deepest wishing well in the world, lol.
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #6604
Inertia
Bloody Agent

Likes (Received): 128

I heard that if anyone takes a photo of the bottom of the hole they will die in 2000 hours? (height of the building)
Inertia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #6605
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
I heard that if anyone takes a photo of the bottom of the hole they will die in 2000 hours? (height of the building)
Shit, I hope not!

BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #6606
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

i thought it was deeper than that ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #6607
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 906

is the building supposed to be 2000ft below grade? or above? looking at the pics Id say it's below ... I wonder if they break ground before end of the decade ...
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #6608
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sock View Post
i thought it was deeper than that ?
It's about 65' deep.

They will have to excavate another 10' - 15'
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #6609
CMack
///M

Likes (Received): 2

guys, the site will become very interesting in the second half of this year, particularly as we march closer to 2009... hang tight until then - it will be worth the wait!
CMack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #6610
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
even deeper, they came out on the other side of the earth already!
So instead of the China Syndrome we will have The Spire Syndrome
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #6611
coexist

Likes (Received): 0

Apparently the Chicago Spire is actually a skyscraper being built in China, with a long tunnel leading out to Chicago.

Now it all makes sense.
coexist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #6612
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

No it's actually a wormhole...if you hop in you will wind up in the Andromeda Galaxy!!
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #6613
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 325

I think this thread is wandering off topic. Boredom I suspect?
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #6614
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

yes, stay on topic guys!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #6615
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

dig, dig, dig, dig, dig
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #6616
Danillo
National Parks Artist

Likes (Received): 220

Quote:
if this building was designed by someone named joey calatrava and not santiago calatrava, would you honestly be as excited by this CURRENT version? the original fordham version is still the best out of all of them.
I think this is a really interesting question. A building like this, designed by such a famous architect, is (if you'll allow my extended metaphor) sort of like reading the Bible or the Koran. Almost nobody picks up the Bible without preconceived ideas about it's contents. So when one does read it, there's so many messages in there that while they may learn some new things, most people will find the bits that fit reinforce the ideas they came into it with.

In the same way, you can't possibly set aside that this building is a Calatrava, the man's reputation precedes him so much and his status was so central to how this project has been marketed from the start. If this was designed by John Doe it almost certainly wouldn't be as well received as it is, but with the design as it is and the preceding reputation, people can pick out things they like/dislike and love/hate the design based on that. To be fair, I'm not sure any of this is bad (given the chance, I'd rather own a Picasso than a painting of equal technical ability by a lesser know painter), it just is.

I was actually surprised though when Chicagophotoshop posted the earlier version, as that one had always been my favorite. But now that I'm used to the current design, I think I like it better. Thought I do think that Helmut may be right in that some combination of the two could be even better still. At any rate, I think it lives up to the hype associated with it's designer, and can't wait until it's built.
Danillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #6617
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

I know I'm an ******* for saying this... but this hole is taking a hell of a long time to be filled!
I'll come back in fifty pages... to myself
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #6618
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
if this building was designed by someone named joey calatrava and not santiago calatrava, would you honestly be as excited by this CURRENT version? the original fordham version is still the best out of all of them.
Not once in the past five years that I've been following the threads on this forum have I seen any slavish starchitect worship; it's always been about the buildings. The Spire, like the Trump, would still be a significant architectural and design achievement even if Tony Rezko were its creator. That said, I do share several observations that you have made concerning these buildings; that's in the nature of things.
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #6619
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjbolton View Post
I know I'm an ******* for saying this... but this hole is taking a hell of a long time to be filled!
I'll come back in fifty pages... to myself

sir are u in denial?
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #6620
drew.magoo

Likes (Received): 17

the chicago spire is in fact not a building at all
it is the drill bit that is digging said hole from china to chicago
drew.magoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower