daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #6641
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10123

latest diagram update
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/...e9b0e93a_o.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #6642
drew.magoo

Likes (Received): 17

thanks for the update
although i absolutely love dubai and the pentominium
i think its kinda sad to put a spire on a building just to be taller than another one
its quite pathetic, and a poor attempt to do so as well
drew.magoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #6643
wynngd
HRH

Likes (Received): 201

Chicago is always beaten by a Spire. Petronas and Sears tower. Although in my opinion, I do not include the spire in a high rise building. I always consider the rooftop height or the highest liveable floor.
wynngd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #6644
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2844

Oh for ****s sake shut up everyone. They haven't stuck a spire on the top of this so let's stop talking about it. The building in Dubai has not changed this building in any way at all. This is still the same beautiful design it always was, it's still 610m tall, it's still being built. Stop your ******* moaning
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #6645
cmj2k2

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezzybaby View Post
Oh for ****s sake shut up everyone. They haven't stuck a spire on the top of this so let's stop talking about it. The building in Dubai has not changed this building in any way at all. This is still the same beautiful design it always was, it's still 610m tall, it's still being built. Stop your ******* moaning
Amen
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #6646
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj2k2 View Post
Amen
I agree with your signature. Petronas is the worst offender so far.

Sorry for the off topic. I'm planning on taking a trip to Chicago within the next year. It'll be neat to see what the site looks like by then.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #6647
beeneverywheretwice

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynngd View Post
Chicago is always beaten by a Spire. Petronas and Sears tower. Although in my opinion, I do not include the spire in a high rise building. I always consider the rooftop height or the highest liveable floor.
Chicago, being the birthplace of modern architecture and design, is beyond playing the "tallest" attempts game now. Let's face it, no matter how tall we go in the U.S., there is always going to be some country/city in the East/MidEast who has something to prove. Like we did in the past. But with it's historical and international reputation, Chicago is beyond that kind of thinking. Also, Chicago is not the kind of City that believes in "fake height". This entire spire trend is not only played out, it's a pathetic attempt by some to pretend to be players in the supertall game and their not fooling anyone. It's a trend that even NYC has latched onto. We all understand NY's fear to build tall, but how many 50, 60, 70 floor building are they going to build(freedom tower just mention one of several of late) with a 500 ft. spire and continue to have credibility. It's a joke really. Even the Trump Spire is minimal, compared to the others popping up. The Chicago Spire at one point a technological spire of light, however, I'm sure if it is still a part of the plans.
beeneverywheretwice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #6648
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Clear conscience fears no accusation. If Dubai is building for height just to impress US as many people are alluding to here,so let be it. Time will tell how long the tallest building is going to remian in one particular country, as every developed and developing country is racing against height.

Most impressionable thing about skyscrapers to me should be the engineering, beauty, location and, of all security we should point our fingers to - aftermatch the 9/11 terror.

ChicagoSpire is no way just a skyscraper in it category but a special one that distinguishes itself from most modern skyscraper buildings cropping up all over the world. From this basic reason Spire seems to stand out distinctly and send a good message across why it`s Spire despite being a residential kind of building.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #6649
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

I believe US laws do not allow buildings over 2000 feet, so even if the Spire wanted to put a spire on top to hold the record, they'd have to apply to the FCC and the city which would take time and money, so who cares.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #6650
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

^ I think it is possible to build over 2000ft, but it requires a LOT more paperwork.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #6651
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

July 09 - afternoon

From above

higer res
2007 series
2008 Q1 series
2008 Q2 series

Surveying the Secant wall ( W side )

Making a hole for the water to get out... This is in the slurry wall on the E side

The thing back at work doing whatever it does.

Very quiet today

Larger

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #6652
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
I believe US laws do not allow buildings over 2000 feet, so even if the Spire wanted to put a spire on top to hold the record, they'd have to apply to the FCC and the city which would take time and money, so who cares.
I swear this thread is on one big repeating loop.

Anyone want to make a ***** comment?
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #6653
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Jello View Post
I swear this thread is on one big repeating loop.

Anyone want to make a ***** comment?
Did someone already mention that? I didn't see it. I think its relevant information for people from Dubai who come to troll in this thread. Its not important, but it does bring back the interesting debate about counting spires and the height to the roof.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #6654
TacomaBoy
Thorax O'Tool

good thing

As weak as the Pentominium spire situation seems to be, I actually think it's a good thing. Here's why:

We know Dubai isn't messing around when it comes to height, the Burj Dubai alone proves that. IF The Spire wasn't built, then the Pentominium would be the tallest all-res building, no questions. So if they're adding a spire (which appears to be just to exceed the Chicago Spire), then it indicates that they think the CS WILL be completed.
If super-tall crazy Dubai sees the CS as a real threat, then I say the odds of it being completed are very good.
they tumble blindly as they make their way across the universe
TacomaBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #6655
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

i say there being a very large hole in the ground is pretty good odds, not the sucker punch from a dubai developer lol.
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #6656
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaBoy View Post
As weak as the Pentominium spire situation seems to be, I actually think it's a good thing. Here's why:

We know Dubai isn't messing around when it comes to height, the Burj Dubai alone proves that. IF The Spire wasn't built, then the Pentominium would be the tallest all-res building, no questions. So if they're adding a spire (which appears to be just to exceed the Chicago Spire), then it indicates that they think the CS WILL be completed.
If super-tall crazy Dubai sees the CS as a real threat, then I say the odds of it being completed are very good.
this is going to be a little of topic a bit, but this needs to be said,
even if they burj dubai didnt put up a spire the tower will still be the tallest by a Huge margin. and it's only a 51m spire or 167ft which gives it 768m. but the Pentominium on the other hand really didnt put it there for Architecture purposes. like the burj dubai
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #6657
TacomaBoy
Thorax O'Tool

meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
i say there being a very large hole in the ground is pretty good odds, not the sucker punch from a dubai developer lol.
Tell that to Teng over on Waterview.
Maybe it's just a temporary halt, but such an event at the Spire would be even more tragic.

Don't count your skyscrapers before they're occupied.
they tumble blindly as they make their way across the universe
TacomaBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #6658
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

It makes me a little angry to see such an empty sight on Wednesday in the middle of the day. I guess it's because I really want to see a skyscraper covering that hole.
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #6659
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
Did someone already mention that? I didn't see it. I think its relevant information for people from Dubai who come to troll in this thread. Its not important, but it does bring back the interesting debate about counting spires and the height to the roof.
Two can play that game....

luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #6660
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2844

^Fortunatly the developers of this project are not retarded and realise that aesthetics are far more important than easily beaten records.

And let's be fair the Burj Dubai wouldn't look right without a spire!

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower