daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #6881
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

What's wrong with the lake? Navy Pier, sailboats, Olive Park, Oak Street Beach, heck, if you are high enough you can probably see Detroit's skyline!
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #6882
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

From SSP, thought it was worth posting here as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratenate
It's exciting to see new progress -- especially something we haven't really seen before. I comped together HarryC's most recent images to show all the super caisson spots in one image. The second photo has overlays of what looks started/done (green) and still to do (blue).

Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #6883
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

what's the next thing after 2 more of them around the perimeter? apart from more digging in the hole?
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #6884
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

do the outer rectangles take the outer skin on the tower , and how deep do they go please ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #6885
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texan View Post
READ ALL ABOUT IT, CHICAGO SPIRE WILL NOT GROW OVER NIGHT, NEWS FOUND SHOCKING TO MANY ONLINE THREAD READERS, WILL TAKE MANY YEARS!
Many years!?
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #6886
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sock View Post
do the outer rectangles take the outer skin on the tower , and how deep do they go please ?
Yes the load from the skin, and floors, will be on the outer 7 columns, The rectangles are where 2 11' dia caissons(1) are tied together, they go down 110' + to bedrock. In addition there are a large number of caissons, also going down to bedrock, in the bottom of the hole.

(1) Most quote these as 12' ( 4 Meter ) diameter but I am pretty sure the 12' dia tubes were caisson tops, with 11' dia caisson sleeves inside of them.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #6887
ChicagoBuilder

Likes (Received): 0

Plus you might be able to look DOWN on the fireworks every Wed and Sat.

Lake views are a personal preference and considering how many condo buildings there are on Lake Shore Drive with only these views I am sure there are people who like them.

The Spire will also be able to see Michigan from certain heights.
ChicagoBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #6888
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaxaca_One View Post
The thing I don't get about this building are the views that residents will have if their condo faces the lake. With so many of the floorplans only having one or two sections of window, and the fact that the condos are so high, won't that mean that these people will only be able to see blue lake and horizon??

For me, I wouldn't want to plunk down this kind of money to see... Lake Michigan. Will the east-facing condos be cheaper because of this?

I have read nearly all of the banter in this thread since its inception, but I don't remember anyone bringing this up.

Love the Spire, though!
^ Are you on crack? Lake Michigan is gorgeous! I'd take a lake view over anything else. Nothing but peace and tranquilty after a stressful day at work
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #6889
Helmet Yawn

actually, a lake/city view is more "valuable" than a pure lake view because after the sun sets, all you see is basically blackness....at least that's what coldwell bankers swears by.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #6890
Oaxaca_One

I have no beef with Lake Michigan - it is a beautiful lake and it provides a wonderful setting for Chicago. I'm just surprised that members of a skyscraper forum would not be bothered by an all-lake view.... I would expect that from the guys over at the "Large Fresh-Water Body" forum.

I myself would FAR prefer a view of the beautiful man-made mountain range that is Chicago! And Helmet has a great point about the night-time blackness vs. the sparkly skyline.

Different strokes for different folks! I'm actually glad to hear that some people prefer lake views, gotta sell those units too!
Oaxaca_One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #6891
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

thanx harryc.
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #6892
Helmet Yawn

i think you're going to find this board is less about discussing varying architectural opinions than it is about some individuals ganging up on the few people that put forth an opinion that the masses don't agree with.....or let me put it to you this way, if you never got pants'd and thrown into the jr. high girls locker room, then congrats...you've come to the right place. =)

welcome aboard, bro.

Last edited by Helmet Yawn; July 31st, 2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:13 AM   #6893
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaxaca_One View Post
I have no beef with Lake Michigan - it is a beautiful lake and it provides a wonderful setting for Chicago. I'm just surprised that members of a skyscraper forum would not be bothered by an all-lake view.... I would expect that from the guys over at the "Large Fresh-Water Body" forum.

I myself would FAR prefer a view of the beautiful man-made mountain range that is Chicago! And Helmet has a great point about the night-time blackness vs. the sparkly skyline.

Different strokes for different folks! I'm actually glad to hear that some people prefer lake views, gotta sell those units too!
I'm 100% with you on this. If I had my choice of units in the Spire, I'd prefer a south or west view. But it is complete personal preference. Looking out over a vast inland ocean is highly preferred for many people, just probably not us skyscraper fans.

IMO, it would be amazing (looking down on fireworks twice a week!) in the summer, but quite depressing in the winter.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:08 PM   #6894
Danillo
National Parks Artist

Likes (Received): 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
IMO, it would be amazing (looking down on fireworks twice a week!) in the summer, but quite depressing in the winter.
If the sales are as international as it seems they are aiming for, I wonder what % of occupants will even be in their units at any time during the winter.
Danillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:43 PM   #6895
Oaxaca_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Yawn View Post
... at least that's what coldwell bankers swears by.
I'm curious as to what you mean by this? Have you verified that lake-view-only condos sell for less than their city-view counterparts? It would make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
If I had my choice of units in the Spire, I'd prefer a south or west view.
North would be OK too - just not pure east. That's the thing that I like about the design of Lake Point Tower - all condos have a 270 degree view (this is an assumption - never been in it!). Other buildings have condos that only face one way, but have a balcony to increase the view. Not so with the Spire. Which is why I'm wondering if the view is factored into the pricing of the Spire units.
Oaxaca_One no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 10:21 PM   #6896
Helmet Yawn

condo value is obviously based on a lot of things: location, amenities, views, design....etc. but lake views will always demand more in the market place.

the reason i said "valuable" in quotes is because a lot of investors prefer a lake/city view to allow for a more diverse taste in their product types because the lake really does go away at night.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:03 AM   #6897
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
From SSP, thought it was worth posting here as well:

T thought those green spots are already dug out?
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:10 AM   #6898
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

they are....hes just highlighting the last two large caissons that need to be dug out.
thats the blue area.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:34 AM   #6899
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texan View Post
READ ALL ABOUT IT, CHICAGO SPIRE WILL NOT GROW OVER NIGHT, NEWS FOUND SHOCKING TO MANY ONLINE THREAD READERS, WILL TAKE MANY YEARS!
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:30 AM   #6900
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

July 30 - AM

From above

higer res
2007 series
2008 Q1 series
2008 Q2 series
2008 Q3 series

Work continues

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower