daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:23 AM   #6921
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight_2008 View Post
Whats going to go in that enormous hole in the ground? Sorry first time Ive visited the thread and can't be bothered to go through 280+ pages.
That's for the core of the building (there are caissons in the bottom of it that go to bedrock), around it are seven pairs of caissons that also go to bedrock (the top of one set is to the top right where the excavation is). The building will start rising from the core in these caissons and the parking garage which covers almost the entire visible area will be built top down. There are also caissons buried throughout the garage area to support the garage floors is that excavation takes place. There's a video on Youtube showing the construction process.

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2008, 07:03 AM   #6922
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

"An ongoing project is the marketing, advertising and branding work for Chicago Spire, a $4bn development which will be the world's tallest building when it is completed in three years."
http://business.scotsman.com/mediale...dio.4352283.jp
Old August 3rd, 2008, 07:57 AM   #6923
aleph_null
¾

Quote:
Whats going to go in that enormous hole in the ground? Sorry first time Ive visited the thread and can't be bothered to go through 280+ pages.
it's a tunnel to China...
aleph_null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM   #6924
JACK NAPIER
"Think about the future!"

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post

"An ongoing project is the marketing, advertising and branding work for Chicago Spire, a $4bn development which will be the world's tallest building when it is completed in three years."
http://business.scotsman.com/mediale...dio.4352283.jp
I tried telling people this months ago. The Chicago Spire will have a spire on the top like the original design years ago. It will be the tallest building on earth with the overrated Chicago based SOM's Burj Dubai coming in at second tallest.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 09:42 AM   #6925
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

That would be soooo cool if true.

*sigh*
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:18 AM   #6926
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK NAPIER View Post
I tried telling people this months ago. The Chicago Spire will have a spire on the top like the original design years ago. It will be the tallest building on earth with the overrated Chicago based SOM's Burj Dubai coming in at second tallest.
1st its NOT going too happen, so mine as well get that out of your head.
2nd what do u mean overrated Chicago based SOM's Burj Dubai ????
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:07 AM   #6927
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densetsu View Post
Sears Tower is a bit dwarfed by Chicago Spire. Its looks even shorter because of perspective.
There's massive 167.3 metres height between 2 building's roofs, Chicago spire with its spire only shortens it to 82.3 metres, therefore chicago spire is massive.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:13 AM   #6928
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
1st its NOT going too happen, so mine as well get that out of your head.
2nd what do u mean overrated Chicago based SOM's Burj Dubai ????
1. I agree about the spire.
2. Chicago office of Skidmore Owings & Merrill (SOM), is the architecture firm that designed the Burj Dubai.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM   #6929
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Google Earth

I'm sure this has been mentioned here before, but some folks may not know that you can insert a 3D render of the Chicago Spire into Google Earth. When I found a viewpoint to match cbotnyse's picture, I thought it would be cool to see CS and Trump. I found them at:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...6a345bb8a381ff

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...bf&prevstart=0

There may be better renders, but these were the first I came across while searching. Under "Layers" turn on the "3D Buildings" option plus the "Photorealistic" and "Gray" sub-options to see CS among all the other skyscrapers.

Last edited by Swiddle; August 3rd, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:25 PM   #6930
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazardously_wasted View Post
it's a tunnel to China...
That`s a good answer. I don`t think there is anybody actually ignorant of that ` Great Hole`.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM   #6931
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
That`s a good joke!
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:29 PM   #6932
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Is the utility work they are going to be doing for awhile on site or off site? I ask because I'm curious how they are going to tie in the utilities with the still unexcavated site.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #6933
EMPIREOFLIGHTS
FINISH THE CHICAGO SPIRE

Likes (Received): 2

Nice to imagine it being the tallest in the World but...

I think it looks great the way it is planned. Quite a gap between the top of this though and the BD. It will easily surpass anything here in North America with the exception of some Transmission Towers.
EMPIREOFLIGHTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #6934
JACK NAPIER

This building is 610 meters to the roof, your telling me you can't see a 220 meter tall spire on this thing. That's how tall the spire will be on the BD. The John Hancock building has almost a 200 meter tall spire/antenna, and it's only 350 to the roof.

Of course the FAA won't be happy about a spire on the Chicago Spire, but it could easily be 830 meters tall.
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #6935
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

excellent tower. one question... how often is carbon fiber used in buildings?
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #6936
Palm-Bangkok
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Palm-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #6937
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Quote:
This building is 610 meters to the roof, your telling me you can't see a 220 meter tall spire on this thing. That's how tall the spire will be on the BD. The John Hancock building has almost a 200 meter tall spire/antenna, and it's only 350 to the roof.

Of course the FAA won't be happy about a spire on the Chicago Spire, but it could easily be 830 meters tall.
..ahhh, yeah, in fact, we're all telling you that we CAN"T see "a 200 meter tall spire/antenna...on this thing"
Tell me wise guy, what will the spire be made out of?? have you seen any renders or models of CS having a 200m spire on top? Do you know that FAA has placed a 2000ft limit on structures in Chicago? Do you know that there will be a light at the top of the spire shining up into the night sky, effectively giving the illusion of a spire on top of the building anyway? do you know what a spire is???

Secondly. the spire on burj dubai is not a cheap looking thin stick sitting on top of a building such as those on sears and hancock. It is a very elegantly designed tapering "pinnacle", as us guys in the BD forum label it as being, that enhances and compliments the overall appearance of the tower. We refer to the spire of the BD as the last 50m of the pinnacle which is pretty much a relatively thin steel pole with a aircraft becon on top.

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #6938
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
That's for the core of the building (there are caissons in the bottom of it that go to bedrock), around it are seven pairs of caissons that also go to bedrock (the top of one set is to the top right where the excavation is). The building will start rising from the core in these caissons and the parking garage which covers almost the entire visible area will be built top down. There are also caissons buried throughout the garage area to support the garage floors is that excavation takes place. There's a video on Youtube showing the construction process.
Here are the Vids on the construction technique of CS (uploaded by me )

Part One

Part Two

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #6939
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor650 View Post
excellent tower. one question... how often is carbon fiber used in buildings?
I don't even think they're used for the modern skyscrapers, at least not much. It costs so much as well.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #6940
JACK NAPIER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrasuper Planet View Post
..ahhh, yeah, in fact, we're all telling you that we CAN"T see "a 200 meter tall spire/antenna...on this thing"
Tell me wise guy, what will the spire be made out of?? have you seen any renders or models of CS having a 200m spire on top? Do you know that FAA has placed a 2000ft limit on structures in Chicago? Do you know that there will be a light at the top of the spire shining up into the night sky, effectively giving the illusion of a spire on top of the building anyway? do you know what a spire is???

Secondly. the spire on burj dubai is not a cheap looking thin stick sitting on top of a building such as those on sears and hancock. It is a very elegantly designed tapering "pinnacle", as us guys in the BD forum label it as being, that enhances and compliments the overall appearance of the tower. We refer to the spire of the BD as the last 50m of the pinnacle which is pretty much a relatively thin steel pole with a aircraft becon on top.
You obviously don't know what a spire is. Your great BD has a roof height of around 640-660 with almost a 200 meter tall patheticlly thin spire on top, in fact 50% of this tower has floorplates the size of my living room.
I don't really care that much, because the current building is awesome and anything over 400 meters to me is tall enough. If the FAA (as I mentioned before) would allow for a taller building I bet Shelbourne would of done it.

Back on topic, nice new model shots

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower