daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #7241
fish

Likes (Received):

Wow, awesome update, harryc!

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #7242
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

Is that final tube going into the hole? What kind of progress and work are we going to be seeing in the next few weeks?
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:12 AM   #7243
ericlewis91

Likes (Received): 9

how many places are on one floor? like how many apartments/ condos?

any floorplans
ericlewis91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #7244
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

As far as i know there are 6 different residences.
4 bedroom condos and galleries are at the higher part of the tower.
3 and 1 bedroom condos are in the middle of thetower.
Suits are below 3 and 1 bedroom condos.
2 bedroom condos are at the bottom of the building.

Have a look at the floorplans:
http://www.thechicagospire.com/building/floorplans/

Last edited by Densetsu; August 26th, 2008 at 04:58 AM.
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:28 AM   #7245
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 88

Is this still supposed to rise above ground Q3/Q4?
Badgers77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #7246
Mr. Met

Likes (Received): 3

I hate looking at updates now because it is a hole and is not that impressive, when will the actual above ground building start?
Mr. Met no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #7247
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Met View Post
I hate looking at updates now because it is a hole and is not that impressive
I feel your pain, Mr. Met.

I feel the same way about the WTC, but after all these years, we are finally seeing progress.

Join me by being patient for this project to rise.

Trust me, if we can wait all these years for the WTC (an even bigger hole in the ground), then we can wait for the CS to rise.
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #7248
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul305 View Post
And the test facade...anyone remember what page that was on?
None.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #7249
Mr.Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 1

great skyscraper...goes well with the chicago skyline
FC BARCELONA....El Club #1 Del Mundo
Mr.Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #7250
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Once they start digging out those old tunnels we'll have something to see.

I wonder if they'll start the top down construction job on the garage about the time the core rises to ground level?
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #7251
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
Once they start digging out those old tunnels we'll have something to see.

I wonder if they'll start the top down construction job on the garage about the time the core rises to ground level?
Here you have a video about how they will construct the Spire: http://www.chicagotribune.com/video/...080604spire-wn
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #7252
Milansson

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.magoo View Post
ok, it seemed to take a really long time for the external construction to start
but now that it has actually "started," everything seems to be going even slower!
well. i think, that the american guys are analysing the situation in the world and waiting for Burj Dubai completion.. the sidewalks are also a tough challenge, this will take some 6-9 months and then they will announce, that the spire will go even higher.. above 1 km
Milansson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #7253
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milansson View Post
well. i think, that the american guys are analysing the situation in the world and waiting for Burj Dubai completion.. the sidewalks are also a tough challenge, this will take some 6-9 months and then they will announce, that the spire will go even higher.. above 1 km
I'm not sure what the challenge of the sidewalks is? They certainly are extremely simple compared to everything else that must be done to complete this marvelous building. This building certainly will not go to 1 km. The first building to go above 2000' will take forever to get approved just to overcome the bureaucracy of the Federal government and its restrictions for building height since no one has ever challenged it before.
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #7254
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milansson View Post
That won't happen. As stated above there is a Federal prohibition on anything about 2,000 feet. That of course can be changed but the bureaucratic process to do so would likely take years.

Plus, to be blunt, there are economic factors at work here. This isn't all about who has the biggest d**k. There's no reason to try to take it higher. Making it higher than the Burj is pointless from the standpoint of any records because they'll be building something bigger in the Middle East somewhere anyway. It will be the tallest in the USA and by current law the tallest allowed in the USA. I am sure that's enough for the developer.

Plus, as far as we decorative spire-haters are concerned the Chicago Spire will be very nearly as tall as the Burj, when you look at useable space.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #7255
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 325

The United States height limit is almost as ridiculous as most cities of Australia not going above 330 metres.

Bureaucratic garbage if you ask me.

The Chicago Spire will still be the tallest inhabitable structure in the Americas. Oh well!
Westyguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #7256
bamboo stick

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
That won't happen. As stated above there is a Federal prohibition on anything about 2,000 feet. That of course can be changed but the bureaucratic process to do so would likely take years.

Plus, to be blunt, there are economic factors at work here. This isn't all about who has the biggest d**k. There's no reason to try to take it higher. Making it higher than the Burj is pointless from the standpoint of any records because they'll be building something bigger in the Middle East somewhere anyway. It will be the tallest in the USA and by current law the tallest allowed in the USA. I am sure that's enough for the developer.

Plus, as far as we decorative spire-haters are concerned the Chicago Spire will be very nearly as tall as the Burj, when you look at useable space.
This has already been discussed. A tower in the US can be built taller than 2,000 feet as long as it gets the requisite permission from the FCC (and the FAA if it is within close proximity to flight paths).
bamboo stick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #7257
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 88

The one fear I have with this building is how it will translate from its rendering. As we saw, Trump Tower looks much better in person. I'm afraid this building won't look so grand in real life. I really hope they don't "smooth" the curve out and keep it as originally planned. Also, I can think of too many possible bad nicknames for this thing if it doesn't turn out too well...

I really hope they are able to give it a spire again. I'd love to see it's height lifted to 2,300 feet!

Last edited by Badgers77; August 26th, 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Badgers77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #7258
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

It won't be any higher than 2000 feet. Please view the posts above yours.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #7259
Ichiban

Likes (Received): 5

What is the general consensus in Chicagoland about this building? On the one hand it's definitely a unique design but on the other hand I can't help but look at the renderings and think the building looks like a giant drill bit.

Maybe it's just me but the Sears Tower is such an elegant building and symbol of Chicago that I hate to see it eclipsed by this.
Ichiban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #7260
Nat76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
What is the general consensus in Chicagoland about this building? On the one hand it's definitely a unique design but on the other hand I can't help but look at the renderings and think the building looks like a giant drill bit.

Maybe it's just me but the Sears Tower is such an elegant building and symbol of Chicago that I hate to see it eclipsed by this.
Without speaking for everyone on here, I think its reasonably safe to say that most people here are fairly divided into two camps:

a) it's Calatrava, and it's different, and it's tall, and I like it.
b) it's fails to live up to its potential, it doesn't fit, it looks like a giant drill bit/phallus/*****/etc.

Chicago Joe on the street generally likes the fact that another really tall building is being constructed in the city. I guess there is no general consensus, but I'd say those in favor outnumber those opposed.

Most of us fit somewhere on the option A-B spectrum here, and I find myself leaning toward A. It could be better, but it's still a very nice addition. Symbols of a city are meant to be eclipsed, or at least joined by other symbols. When you look at a picture of the Hancock under construction 40 years ago, it looks ridiculous when compared to its surroundings, yet here it is with all of these other structures that have risen up to meet it. That's what is nice about the whole process. When you've got a new landmark going up, its up to the rest of the city to make it "fit" rather than the other way around.
Nat76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower