daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #7261
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers77 View Post
The one fear I have with this building is how it will translate from its rendering. As we saw, Trump Tower looks much better in person. I'm afraid this building won't look so grand in real life. I really hope they don't "smooth" the curve out and keep it as originally planned. Also, I can think of too many possible bad nicknames for this thing if it doesn't turn out too well...

I really hope they are able to give it a spire again. I'd love to see it's height lifted to 2,300 feet!
Will never happen!
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #7262
damian89

Likes (Received): 4

The base is so small. It looks like this building is unreal to build :P Are you sure it won't collapse? :P
damian89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #7263
Badgers77
Hi

Likes (Received): 88

The other thing to realize is that in renderings, it does look like a drillbit. When it's actually built and is 2,000 feet high, I highly doubt it will look like anything just due too it's sheer height.
Badgers77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #7264
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

I think it's safe to say that the Spire has the best architects and engineers involved in the project. I wouldn't worry. If the project was so unfeasible I doubt they would have gotten this far in the construction before going "Oh shit, we can't do this!"
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #7265
msu2001la

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat76 View Post
Without speaking for everyone on here, I think its reasonably safe to say that most people here are fairly divided into two camps:

a) it's Calatrava, and it's different, and it's tall, and I like it.
b) it's fails to live up to its potential, it doesn't fit, it looks like a giant drill bit/phallus/*****/etc.

Chicago Joe on the street generally likes the fact that another really tall building is being constructed in the city. I guess there is no general consensus, but I'd say those in favor outnumber those opposed.

Most of us fit somewhere on the option A-B spectrum here, and I find myself leaning toward A. It could be better, but it's still a very nice addition. Symbols of a city are meant to be eclipsed, or at least joined by other symbols. When you look at a picture of the Hancock under construction 40 years ago, it looks ridiculous when compared to its surroundings, yet here it is with all of these other structures that have risen up to meet it. That's what is nice about the whole process. When you've got a new landmark going up, its up to the rest of the city to make it "fit" rather than the other way around.
If I can add another.

C. it will never get built.

I am firmly in the "A" category and can't wait to see some action out there, but most people I talk to or overhear discussing this building seem pretty convinced that it'll never be built (regardless of current construction activity on the site).

There's just too much uncertainty with the market, and it's been way too long since we were told the project was moving forward for people not to be skeptical.
msu2001la no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #7266
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat76 View Post
Without speaking for everyone on here, I think its reasonably safe to say that most people here are fairly divided into two camps:

a) it's Calatrava, and it's different, and it's tall, and I like it.
b) it's fails to live up to its potential, it doesn't fit, it looks like a giant drill bit/phallus/*****/etc.

Chicago Joe on the street generally likes the fact that another really tall building is being constructed in the city. I guess there is no general consensus, but I'd say those in favor outnumber those opposed.

Most of us fit somewhere on the option A-B spectrum here, and I find myself leaning toward A. It could be better, but it's still a very nice addition. Symbols of a city are meant to be eclipsed, or at least joined by other symbols. When you look at a picture of the Hancock under construction 40 years ago, it looks ridiculous when compared to its surroundings, yet here it is with all of these other structures that have risen up to meet it. That's what is nice about the whole process. When you've got a new landmark going up, its up to the rest of the city to make it "fit" rather than the other way around.

Nat76. I think many in this forum would agree with you. But this has already been discussed thousands of times. Can we kindly move on. This also goes for MSU2001 and Badger. Not trying to be mean. Just saving you guys some future grief.
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #7267
Helmet Yawn

it is going to be built. they are fabricating the floorplates as we speak....just not onsite yet. i don't know how kelleher's going to pay for it, but he's got the cash. the city is banking on this one getting built figuratively, though not literally to my ears. the spire is a significant salvo in chicago's effort to get the 2016 games.

addressing the other comment, 'move on' to what? he/she is expressing his/her view of the building. what do some of you think is "supposed to" happen on this site exactly? perhaps we didn't all get the special instruction kit when we joined so we could fit-in better.

please, give the attitudes a rest.....this isn't the junior high school locker room. it's a forum for fans of progressive high rises and the city of chicago.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #7268
antovador
space wanderer

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jef View Post
It won't be any higher than 2000 feet. Please view the posts above yours.
Until planes can take off and land vertically.
antovador no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #7269
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by antovador View Post
Some can already land vertically...
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #7270
fish

Likes (Received):

Hey damian89, how did you find those interior renders?

The Chicago Spire is the official website.
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #7271
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Hey damian89, how did you find those interior renders?

The Chicago Spire is the official website.
Those are waaay old. They were posted almost a year go.
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #7272
damian89

Likes (Received): 4

They was posted on the first page
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
Some can already land vertically...
Small planes. I don't see a boeing landing vertically :P
damian89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #7273
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by antovador View Post
Yes, in 2030, they can add on a 300 foot spire if they want.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #7274
backupcoolmen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian89 View Post
They was posted on the first page

Small planes. I don't see a boeing landing vertically :P

actually boeing made the MV-22 Osprey, although it is only used by the marines, it is a huge plane that can take off and land vertically, and in mid air the propellers turn forward so it goes faster
backupcoolmen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #7275
Deepfield

The Harrier can land verticaly too. But we are going off-topic now...
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #7276
Nat76

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeps View Post
Nat76. I think many in this forum would agree with you. But this has already been discussed thousands of times. Can we kindly move on. This also goes for MSU2001 and Badger. Not trying to be mean. Just saving you guys some future grief.
Geez, I was answering a new poster's question. About a skyscaper. The Spire specifically. In Chicago. On a skyscraper board in the Chicago forum in a thread about the Spire. The novelty. I know this stuff has been posted ad nauseum on this board--it's hard not to find repetitive posts on a thread with 1200+ posts. But, if someone asks a question, I'm going to go out on a limb and say anyone can answer it without catching flack.

It's simple really...discuss the topic of the thread. If you don't agree with something someone says, tell them why, but don't tell them not to post something that relates directly to the thread topic. It's the message board equivalent of telling someone to shut up (kindly as it may be put). That is bound to rub people the wrong way.

Sorry for the interruption, back to the Spire...
Nat76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #7277
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Aug 27 - noon

From above

higer res
2007 series
2008 Q1 series
2008 Q2 series
2008 Q3 series

CASE loading up the last of their stuff.

Lined up by size - awaiting a transporter ?
Note (some of) the forms for the whaler are back up on top - far left of frame.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #7278
fish

Likes (Received):

Harryc, that is awesome in one of your shots, you have Trump overlooking the CS.
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #7279
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

In a few years time it will be the Chicago Spire overlooking Trump
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #7280
fish

Likes (Received):

Can you imagine Sears looking up at the CS

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower