daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #7441
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

I say: lack planning, at least.
Soroban no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #7442
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

How can u start such a project without having everything thought through? For me that also includes finding a contractor...

Who knows whether what was done in the last months fit the next contractors intention? Every firm has it's different method to do the job. Especially firms that are really specialized in a specific sector.

And building the spire... what could need more specialization?
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #7443
Dimension
I have class

Likes (Received): 25

There must be a ton of what in that whole.
Dimension no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #7444
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Waiting for Bovis and McHugh to finish Trump, maybe? Perhaps they want the same crew working on the spire since they did such an awesome job on Trump.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #7445
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkblk View Post

And building the spire... what could need more specialization?
Or.......... need more money

Soroban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #7446
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3088

I've been lurking on this thread for months now and looking at all those pictures that seem to show next to nothing going on except a big hole in the ground. However, there was an article in this weeks New Civil Engineer (published by the British Institution of Civil Engineers) which describes what has been done to date.

Basically the tower will consist of a central concrete core with perimeter steel columns. Each floor slab will have an identical arrangement of core and 21 columns with the 'twist' caused by curved cutouts in the edge of each slab, which are offset with each floor. These cutouts do not affect the arrangement of the structural columns which are inboard of them.

The central core is founded on twenty 3m diameter rock caisson piles. These are large diameter concrete piles installed with a permanent casing, which pass through the 8 storey basement and are socketed 3m into the rock beneath.

At ground level, there will be seven perimeter columns, each supported on a pair of rock caisson piles.

All of the rock caisson piles have now been installed.

In addition to the rock caisson piles, there are smaller 910mm diameter x 25m. long under-reamed piles that will support the floors of the basement. There are two types. The lighter loaded piles are filled with concrete all the way up to ground level. The heavier loaded are only filled with concrete up to basement slab level and then steel drop in columns are installed on top of them to support the basement floors. These steel columns are installed within casings, which are later removed. However, the shaft is filled with sand or slurry to ensure that the sides of the shaft do not collapse when the casing is removed - this is essential to prevent the presence of voids that could endanger future excavation of the basement.

The basement will be constructed top down with the highest basement floor constructed first. The floors will then brace the slurry walls around the perimeter of the site and permit excavation to the next floor level. That explains why the large coffer dam has been constructed as the core will need to be formed prior to the construction of the basement slabs as it serves to support them.

The report states that the main basement work will commence when a general contractor has been chosen - tenders have now been invited - and then work will really speed up.
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #7447
andydie

Likes (Received): 25

latest Spire update video online!

Hello friends and Spirefans,

here comes my latest video update for the one and only Calatrava Spire:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=2GOySS23H6I

Music: R.I.O. - Shine On (Mondo Remix)

Enjoy!
andydie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #7448
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH View Post
Oh, are you working for the contractor that will build it? Have you seen the project schedule? You seem to know an awful lot about this project. When is the next phase of the work going to begin?
I was merely responding to people making comments about the nice hole while doubting this will ever rise... Were there not a lot of people bitching about how long its taking to build this foundation??? its a 2000ft monster, and I was responding appropriately; thank you very much!!

However my hypothesis here is, judging by the way they cleaned up the site (its immaculate!), it seems like the next phase should roll out soon and they can begin the top-down construction on the garage. Hopefully there is not too much of a delay - I still think this will surprise everyone and rise pretty quickly like the Burj Dubai (slow at first, but then speeds up significantly along the way).

Last edited by Indica; September 15th, 2008 at 12:00 AM. Reason: typo
Indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #7449
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

It'll be fast once construction passes ground level. However they have to get a main contractor for which they need a lot of funding.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #7450
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
...snip ...
The heavier loaded are only filled with concrete up to basement slab level and then steel drop in columns are installed on top of them to support the basement floors. These steel columns are installed within casings, which are later removed. However, the shaft is filled with sand or slurry to ensure that the sides of the shaft do not collapse when the casing is removed - this is essential to prevent the presence of voids that could endanger future excavation of the basement.
...snip...
At last an explanation for the thingies - thank you.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #7451
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/st...927-qqqx=1.asp

Kelleher firm has €140m debt

14 September 2008

By Gavin Daly

One of property developer Garrett Kelleher’s companies has reported a bank debt of almost €140 million last year.

Clarinabbey’s accounts showed a sharp increase in activity last year, when the firm made a pre-tax profit of €7.1 million, up from just €122,000 the previous year.

At the end of March 2007, the company had retained profits of €9.1 million. However, the value of the company’s ‘‘stock and work in progress’’ fell to €22.1 million from €30 million, and its net debt rose by more than €55 million as a result of a new bank loan.

The firm had transactions with 15 related companies during the financial year, and was owed more than €156 million by group companies.

‘‘Amounts owed by group companies have no fixed repayment terms and earn no interest,” said the accounts for Clarinabbey, which had no direct employees during the year.

Clarinabbey, which is part of Kelleher’s Shelbourne Property Group, is behind various projects, including Parnell Plaza in central Dublin.

Kelleher’s Irish interests include the former Department of Justice building on St Stephen’s Green in Dublin, and he is also behind plans for the 150-storey Chicago Spire building.
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #7452
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
No, YOU read the post. The rest of the world (non-USA) refers to September 10, 2008 as 10-9-08 and September 12, 2008 as 12-9-08. The poster asked if there were holidays in Chicago during those days, to which the answer is "no".
Just because you don't understand the original post, or my response, doesn't make my response stupid.

The hole will be an outdoor pool, at best, until some sort of enclosure is built over it.
go back and read a first post again plz and stop making yourself looks like an ass, wannabe supervisor of the project. My response had nothing to do with a dates. Let me write this in bold since you are blind "I think posts" doesn't count without valid source.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #7453
Storm9

Likes (Received): 15

I'm thinking Walsh Group is probably a strong contender to get the contract.
Storm9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #7454
Godzilla Ranger NYC
LOL

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by south View Post
I've said it before and i'll say it again... here's the Chicago Spire in the year 2260:

LOL^
Godzilla Ranger NYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #7455
RogerioAndrade

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Ranger NYC View Post
LOL^
hahhahahahahahaha

Now, for the building, I find it kind of weird.
RogerioAndrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #7456
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

@ south. Spot on.
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #7457
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

ahhahaha
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #7458
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

http://classifieds.chicagoreader.com...=oid%3A1574594

Extras Casting Call - Shoot at NBC Tower - Spire Model
posted 09/15/2008

We are looking for extras for a scene in a Graduate Thesis film. We are seeking attractive men and women between the ages of 25-65 to play the part of party guests at a multi-million dollar penthouse. We are looking for "James Bond" types, "Mr. Big" types, model type women, as well as sophisticated women like Nicole Kidman and Keira Knightley. If you are interested in participating, please email us at [email protected] and be sure to include a headshot. We will be shooting at the Spire model in the NBC Tower, on the night of Saturday, September 20. The call time is 7pm. Our website is http://www.thewardrobefilm.com/. Please feel free to check it out and email us if you have any questions. Meals will be provided.
Old September 16th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #7459
backupcoolmen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlewis91 View Post
let me know when this is a building and not a hole

k thanks
haha agreed, when it is a soaring tower i will be laughing, and remain in awe
backupcoolmen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #7460
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Sept 15 - am

From above

higer res
2007 series
2008 Q1 series
2008 Q2 series
2008 Q3 series

Air presssure pipe on the left, sump pump hose on the right.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower