daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #7901
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

Not good
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #7902
backupcoolm3n
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

i hope someone else picks up this project
backupcoolm3n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #7903
NoAllegiance
Allegiance Aint What I Do

Likes (Received): 9

Dang guys, this is terrible. The CS is my favorite skyscraper. Terrible.
"There are new sights in the sky. Twenty years ago, when one gazed at the heavens, one would see the stars, the moon, the sun, clouds and an occasional comet or two. Now, however, here in the streets of New York City, a few neighbors have moved in. These are made, not of gasses nor water nor dust, but of steel and stone and concrete. These neighbors are not carved by the hands of nature, but by the hands of men. These neighbors are buildings that scrape the sky." -1930's quote, author unknown.
NoAllegiance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #7904
spire1000
watchin you from above...

Likes (Received): 0

this may kind of be a weird question for some of you guys but...

Q.if this tower is struggling to get built and the financial crisis all the other stuff thats happening to the tower,then why isn't freedom tower struggling to get built.i mean thats a really big project too.shouldn't it be struggling to get built because of the financial crisis too.
(its not like i dont want the freedom tower to not get built or anything like that but isn't that a really big project and shouldn't it be struggling against the financial crisis too.)

sorry if i was off topic.now back to the topic
spire1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #7905
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

It has a far bigger financial backing from what i've heard, so it'll keep going anyway.
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #7906
backupcoolm3n
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spire1000 View Post

Q.if this tower is struggling to get built and the financial crisis all the other stuff thats happening to the tower,then why isn't freedom tower struggling to get built.i mean thats a really big project too.shouldn't it be struggling to get built because of the financial crisis too.
(its not like i dont want the freedom tower to not get built or anything like that but isn't that a really big project and shouldn't it be struggling against the financial crisis too.)

much of the money has already been put down for the freedom tower, also the businesses building it arent hurting too bad from the financial crisis, and this is a project that is being constructed with help of the government so it is going to be built no matter what with the government involved
backupcoolm3n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #7907
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

FT and CS are completely two different stories. Calatrava packing up and leave is ... BAAAAAD
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #7908
Cunning Linguist

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

It is my understanding the commercial real estate market is not hurting as much in the States as the residential. Because the FT is mixed use/commercial, then the financial likelihood of it being built is much greater than the wholly residential CS.

Also, the value of the property in NY is far greater than for the CS, therefore letting it go undeveloped would be much more painful than letting the CS go undeveloped. In line with that, much more work has already been done prepping the FT area than the CS, so 'sunk' costs are far greater for the FT than the CS, meaning abandoning the FT would be far more painful than the CS.
Cunning Linguist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:40 AM   #7909
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12577

11.34 Million dollars ? For what? To do a few sketches?
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #7910
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:

At the beginning, Freedom Tower and the rest of WTC rebuild DID had its own struggles to get it rebuilt after years of delaying the project for various reasons. Finally they got it pulled it together to make it happen.

I hope the developer will find the ways to pay the architects and pull it together to build beautiful Chicago Spires.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #7911
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
No not just few sketches... It includes labors, CAD (Computer Aid Drafting), sketches, engineering, architect fees, hour of works, materials, numerous of meeting to discuss the projects, several 3D models, renderings, etc.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #7912
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Another in a long line of failed tallests for Chicago ?
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #7913
Birdboy08
Chicago!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
It's MUCH more than a few sketches...I'd know, lol.
Birdboy08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #7914
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 325

I would be very upset if the Chicago Spire is cancelled. So much anticipation and enthusiasm over nothing now. Not happy!!!
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #7915
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

The ultimate indignity would be having to hear Donald Trump say, "I told you so!"
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #7916
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Another in a long line of failed tallests for Chicago ?
What are you talking about? The entire foundation is already complete! One that supports a supertall, something big will go up there sooner or later, settle down.

On a positive note it's good to finally see the Spire under a proper construction label, "pending" was totally unacceptable. I'm also confident Shelbourne will sort out these problems with time. Historically speaking, large projects are known for their large delays; including the Shanghai World Financial Center and Freedom Tower. I'm not all that worried, the economy will come back again.

Last edited by Onn; October 18th, 2008 at 06:17 AM.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #7917
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

Likes (Received): 6

Regarding the Freedom Tower/Spire comparison:

In my view there is a huge difference between these, because the Freedom Tower will end up being the skycraper in the US with the most symbolic value and emotional attachment to it. The Spire is "just" an amazing building.

It would be disastrous if the Freedom Tower were never built.

P
Albania Austria Belgium Bosnia Botswana Cambodia Canada China Costa Rica the Czech Republic Croatia Denmark France Germany Ghana Greece India Iraq Italy Japan Kashmir Kosova Laos Liberia Macedonia Malaysia Mexico Montenegro Morocco Mozambique the Netherlands Norway Pakistan Portugal Singapore South Africa South Korea Spain Sri Lanka Sweden Switzerland Syria Thailand Tunesia Turkey the United Kingdom the United States of America Uzbekistan Vietnam Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #7918
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORONTOCOPENHAGEN View Post
Regarding the Freedom Tower/Spire comparison:

In my view there is a huge difference between these, because the Freedom Tower will end up being the skycraper in the US with the most symbolic value and emotional attachment to it. The Spire is "just" an amazing building.

It would be disastrous if the Freedom Tower were never built.

P
Then maybe your opinion but I'm sure the opinion of many Americans is different. Freedom Tower is just another tall building, there's nothing special about the design our height of the building. Sure it replaces the twin towers and the memorial to them is very symbolic but FT itself is just another building.

Chicago Spire on the other hand is a special building. It will be the tallest building in America by quite a bit, it will be the tallest all residential building in the world and it's the first building in America to reach the maximum "allowable" height for construction here.
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #7919
nilkiimas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Freedom Tower is just another tall building, there's nothing special about the design our height of the building.
Not quite right, the height will be 1776 feet, which is the year of the declaration of independence. So the height will special.
nilkiimas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #7920
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

stay on topic guys, please!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower