daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #7921
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

Likes (Received): 6

I know it is another just another building - that's why we are discussing it here. I personally do not care about what it symbolizes, but ever since 9/11 it was the plan to rebuild that site in order to show the World that the US can not be brought to its knees and Spire doesn't have that extra reason for staying on track which means that it will get build no matter what.

Yes, even in the case of the Freedom Tower market powers will rule, but obviously Spire cannot be built (at present) due to the financial crisis. I'll bet you that regardless of the financial situation Freedom Tower will be completed (or would have been).

And it is on topic - we are discussing Spire by comparing it with other projects

P
Albania Austria Belgium Bosnia Botswana Cambodia Canada China Costa Rica the Czech Republic Croatia Denmark France Germany Ghana Greece India Iraq Italy Japan Kashmir Kosova Laos Liberia Macedonia Malaysia Mexico Montenegro Morocco Mozambique the Netherlands Norway Pakistan Portugal Singapore South Africa South Korea Spain Sri Lanka Sweden Switzerland Syria Thailand Tunesia Turkey the United Kingdom the United States of America Uzbekistan Vietnam Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe

Last edited by TORONTOCOPENHAGEN; October 18th, 2008 at 05:47 PM.
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #7922
D.D.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

This is not a vs thread, it is a Chicago spire thread only. If you like to discuss comparisons then go to the rate my cities threads.
D.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #7923
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMaFrost View Post
Have there been any other major buildings in Chicago that have been started and never finished?
The 17-story apartment building at 6230 N. Kenmore stood unfinished from 1930–1941. In the early 90s, a six-story office building in Oak Brook stood as just the steel frame for several years.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #7924
Metalus

Likes (Received): 1

$11.34M just to Calatrava?
Metalus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #7925
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

AOL Keyword: dead
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #7926
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

See
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7369971.story for full story.

Spire pay dispute spurs doubt
Calatrava among consultants filing millions in liens against developer
By Mary Ellen Podmolik and Blair Kamin | Chicago Tribune reporters
October 18, 2008
The Chicago Spire's penthouse may be sold but there is growing doubt whether the project will rise out of the hole that's been created at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive.

Consultants on the project are starting to line up seeking payment for their work on the development, designed to become the tallest skyscraper in the United States and one of the tallest in the world. The most well-known of the consultants, architect Santiago Calatrava, filed a lien on Oct. 8 through his Lente Festina Ltd., seeking more than $11.3 million in payment from Spire developer Shelbourne Development Group Inc.

Separately, Chicago-based architectural design firm Perkins+Will Inc. filed a lien against Shelbourne for almost $4.85 million in payment. The two liens were filed with the Cook County recorder of deeds.

The liens suggest the project's financing, as well as its feasibility, is shaky.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #7927
spire1000
watchin you from above...

Likes (Received): 0

come on.can't we ever here good new about the cs.

always here for help
spire1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #7928
RON-E

Likes (Received): 35

lol, the title of this thread has changed a few times over the last couple of days.... pending...on hold....u/c....

make up your mind mods
RON-E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #7929
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
What are you talking about? The entire foundation is already complete! One that supports a supertall, something big will go up there sooner or later, settle down.

On a positive note it's good to finally see the Spire under a proper construction label, "pending" was totally unacceptable. I'm also confident Shelbourne will sort out these problems with time. Historically speaking, large projects are known for their large delays; including the Shanghai World Financial Center and Freedom Tower. I'm not all that worried, the economy will come back again.
Sounds like you need to chiilax yourself. If it's going to get built, it's going to get built.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #7930
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilkiimas View Post
Not quite right, the height will be 1776 feet, which is the year of the declaration of independence. So the height will special.
If the building itself was 1776 feet tall I agree it would be special but as it is based on a stupid looking spire on top to get that height which doesn't mean a whole lot. The best solution would have been the roof at 1776 and the top of the spire at 2001 feet.
Old October 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #7931
spire1000
watchin you from above...

Likes (Received): 0

ok ok no more fighting about freedom tower and cs.now lets get back to the topic.sheesh.too many fights on this thread.you know that the mods can lock this thread whenever they want if this gets out of control.look what happend to the freedom tower thread.its locked.look,the point is...stop fighting if you dont want this thread to be locked.

so just chill!!!

always here for help
spire1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #7932
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

Generally speaking, do you think there's a realistic chance the spire won't get built?
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #7933
sunshine_121

Likes (Received): 3

At least the waterview tower is well ahead of schedule
That I'm alive
Flowers thrive
Realise
sunshine_121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #7934
Skyscraperologist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
If the building itself was 1776 feet tall I agree it would be special but as it is based on a stupid looking spire on top to get that height which doesn't mean a whole lot. The best solution would have been the roof at 1776 and the top of the spire at 2001 feet.
I agree with you. That would be a perfect solution: 1776 AND 2001! That's a fantastic idea.

Of course, there is only one problem: In the USA, the maximum height of structures of any kind is restricted to 2,000 feet (609.6 metres). However, there are exceptions possible, if a taller structure would be in public benefit (like the KXTV/KOVR Tower) or, of course, if the structure is older than the restriction law, which was made in 1965, as in case of the KVLY/KTHI TV Mast. Under current laws, the US will never be able to surpass Burj Dubai
Skyscraperologist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #7935
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraperologist View Post
I agree with you. That would be a perfect solution: 1776 AND 2001! That's a fantastic idea.

Of course, there is only one problem: In the USA, the maximum height of structures of any kind is restricted to 2,000 feet (609.6 metres). However, there are exceptions possible, if a taller structure would be in public benefit (like the KXTV/KOVR Tower) or, of course, if the structure is older than the restriction law, which was made in 1965, as in case of the KVLY/KTHI TV Mast. Under current laws, the US will never be able to surpass Burj Dubai
interesting, do you have any idea if that restriction will change?
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #7936
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraperologist View Post
Yeah, but that's probably going to change one day, especially with the kind of government that's most likely going to be elected the next few elections. The 2000 feet is not binding, as you said, and the ordinance was made in 1965. A lot has changed since then, I don't think many would oppose a change in the law anymore. Chicago as a whole, for example, has been very supportive of building the tallest structure in North America. I can understand why they have the law in place, but a lot has changed in aviation technology since it was first introduced.

Last edited by Onn; October 19th, 2008 at 04:16 AM.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #7937
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

And all Chicago has is one deep ass hole to show for it.....

This project is dead.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #7938
FTL Beach Bum

Likes (Received): 656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
a lot has changed in aviation technology since it was first introduced.
But the FAA hasn't.
FTL Beach Bum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #7939
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL Beach Bum View Post
But the FAA hasn't.
Depends who gets appointed to the FFA, that's what I said. And if government doesn’t appeal the law, when it gets challenged by a developer (and it will), fine by me. They obviously have a good reason to keep it in place. The law may seem like a drag, until someone crashes a jet liner in the Burj Dubai. Unlikely, but who knows. We really don't need the 2000ft+ towers here anyway, we have plenty of usable land. And we're lucky to have that, because most countries don't. I’m sure one of our big cites will get something above that mark one day in the near future.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #7940
Lawcheehung
Toronto, I Love You

Likes (Received): 3

wow..is there really a restriction on towers being 2000 ft or less in the US?
Lawcheehung no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower