daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM   #8001
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomlord_uk View Post
I think they should rename it the Chicago Aspire

If they've only 'sold' (whatever that means, probably just signed contracts) 1/3 of the units then there is no way they can justify progressing, and my guess is that they are losing sales momentum fast.

They really should just grass over it and turn the hole into a fishpond for the 10 years it will take to get this project going again. I'm sure it will be built one day.
In troubled times, those who take a chance, might be the future winners.

They could wait 3-4 years for the market to recover, and then resume the construction, or continue now, and have a finished tower by then, while oters are just starting new projects.

P.S.
If the economy is not back on its feet in 3-4 years, and things will go from bad to worse, Chicago (US and the World) would have bigger problems than Chicago Spire not to be built.

luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM   #8002
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5439

This is by far the best tower to reach construction stage in the US in recent times.

If it doesn't go ahead it is hella bad for the Chicago skyline, you will always look at it and go 'what if...'.
Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:18 PM   #8003
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

What is the purpose of that red crane/tractor looking thing moving? LOL
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:43 PM   #8004
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

Showing some presence and all... keeping the staff occupied.
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM   #8005
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton12 View Post
336 pages for a basically a hole in the ground. Talk about most overrated forum in history.
I'll give you that but aren't those pics making you sad in a way?
I was looking forward so much to see the core finally rise.
I'm gutted...
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:18 PM   #8006
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton12 View Post
336 pages for a basically a hole in the ground. Talk about most overrated forum in history.
Hahaha, that's what I was also thinking. Page after page with photos of nothing but a hole. You would think after 200 the thing would have sprouted above ground.
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM   #8007
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
Hahaha, that's what I was also thinking. Page after page with photos of nothing but a hole. You would think after 200 the thing would have sprouted above ground.
I can see you and your buddy are new around here. my guess is you are also new in knowing how long it usually takes for the foundation of one of the worlds tallest buildings to be built. please take your ignorance elsewhere.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM   #8008
mattbennett13590
going to be an Engineer

Likes (Received): 10

I don't see why they just don't continue construction anyway.
The great depression didn't stop the Empire state building from being built. (even though it was nicknamed the 'empty state building', because of the time it took to be completely occupied, which was about 20 years.)
Can't wait for something to start happening again.

My LEGO Burj Dubai
mattbennett13590 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM   #8009
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

How can they continue with the construction despite all, when the developer has less wealth/assets then the cost of building the tower?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #8010
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

I don't know this has been posted already. But here you go.

Spire pay dispute spurs doubt
Calatrava among consultants filing millions in liens against developer

By Mary Ellen Podmolik and Blair Kamin | Chicago Tribune reporters | October 18, 2008

The Chicago Spire's penthouse may be sold but there is growing doubt whether the project will rise out of the hole that's been created at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive.

Consultants on the project are starting to line up seeking payment for their work on the development, designed to become the tallest skyscraper in the United States and one of the tallest in the world. The most well-known of the consultants, architect Santiago Calatrava, filed a lien on Oct. 8 through his Lente Festina Ltd., seeking more than $11.3 million in payment from Spire developer Shelbourne Development Group Inc.

Separately, Chicago-based architectural design firm Perkins+Will Inc. filed a lien against Shelbourne for almost $4.85 million in payment. The two liens were filed with the Cook County recorder of deeds.

The liens suggest the project's financing, as well as its feasibility, is shaky.

Reached at the family's home in New York, Calatrava's wife, Tina, declined to comment. Perkins+Will did not return phone calls for comment.

A spokeswoman for Irish developer Garrett Kelleher said the firm knew that the liens were coming and continued to have dialogues with the companies. However, Shelbourne disagrees with the amount the firms say they are due.

"These guys have been paid well," said spokeswoman Kim Metcalfe. "It's clearly a four-year project. The project payment and delivery is over that four years. The amounts are under dispute."

The Spire captured the public's imagination, not only because of its great height and uniquely twisting design, but also because of the charismatic Calatrava's involvement. He has been the public face of the project, not only involved in every aspect of the project right down to custom door handles, but also wowing crowds as he made sketches of the design at public meetings.

Along with the city's bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympics, the iconic proposal came to symbolize Chicago's aspirations to become a "global city," a worldwide center of culture as well as commerce.

But a faltering economy and seized-up credit markets have brought visible work on the project to a standstill. Currently the site is simply a circular hole, 76 feet deep and 110 feet across, that is surrounded by caissons to support the skyscraper's concrete core. The East Water Place Townhome Association, which had been conducting weekly meetings with the developer about the project adjacent to its building, told residents earlier this month the meetings had been discontinued because the Spire's construction had been halted.

News of the liens was first reported by Crain's Chicago Business.

Just 21/2 weeks ago Shelbourne sought to inject a bit of optimism into the beleaguered project by announcing that Beanie Babies magnate Ty Warner had signed a contract to buy the two-level penthouse, a unit that was listed for sale at $40 million.

To date, 395 of the building's 1,194 units have been sold.

"The sales are going very well," Metcalfe said. "This is the normal course of business for companies to protect themselves, and the market is obviously the 800-pound gorilla in the room."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7369971.story
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #8011
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

ive been waiting for that well they mine as well refund the 395 units, becuase the chances of the tower being built is looking more slimmer every day...
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #8012
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagophotoshop View Post
I can see you and your buddy are new around here. my guess is you are also new in knowing how long it usually takes for the foundation of one of the worlds tallest buildings to be built. please take your ignorance elsewhere.
lol
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #8013
Frankus Maximus

Likes (Received): 735

Only just seen that this one is on hold, a great shame for Chicago. I hope it does get built, such a great design.
Frankus Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #8014
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
I don't know this has been posted already. But here you go.http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7369971.story
It had in post #6634 on the date it was written.
Old October 25th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #8015
spire1000
watchin you from above...

Likes (Received): 0

i heard some people talking that santiago calatrava quit the project because of the 11million he was supposed to be paid. did anyone buy the project after that?any news that any of you would like to share?

always here for help
spire1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #8016
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Oct 24 - lunch

From above

higer res
2007 series
2008 Q1 series
2008 Q2 series
2008 Q3 & 4 series

Crane being removed

From the upper deck.
Ramps

Dusable park

Along the river

Across the river

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #8017
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Are you getting bored of taking pictures harry? with such little progress. I would have given up.

I hope this project goes on. I'm fascinated by it. Had the opportunity to walk right next to the site in April, when work was going on at a rapid pace. But I guess hopefully it is resolved soon, but I definitely have my doubts on it.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #8018
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

....also, the port-a-potty that was at the back of the site has disappeared!! Soon everything but the trailer will be gone.
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #8019
wonwiin

Likes (Received): 28

It stands now right next to the trailer.
wonwiin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #8020
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

That one is a different one. Look at Harry's pics from a couple days ago. They were both there then.

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower