daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #801
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:

Please, build it now!
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #802
MWR

Likes (Received): 0

To Whom Do I Write Check for a Down Payment?

MWR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #803
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...l=chi-news-hed

Calatrava unveils tower's latest twist

By Blair Kamin
Tribune architecture critic
Published March 26, 2007

For the first time Monday, architect Santiago Calatrava made public an architectural model of his proposed, 2,000-foot, twisting tower on Chicago's lakefront -- and the model looked promising, as did a spectacular new computer animation of the tower, which would be the nation's tallest building. They reveal a design that twists subtly rather than grotesquely as it rises, the impression conveyed by a version of the design Calatrava was working on just two weeks ago.

But major questions still swirl around the project, called the Chicago Spire, chief among them how Dublin-based developer Garrett Kelleher would fund it. Indeed, the Monday afternoon event -- held in an ornate, mirrored ballroom at Symphony Center -- was as genteel as its Beaux Arts setting. Calatrava and Kelleher can be expected to face much tougher questioning Monday night at a hearing of the Streeterville Organization of Active Residents (SOAR), which begins at 6 p.m. at the Chicago Marriott, 540 N. Michigan Ave.

SOAR members live in the neighborhood where the tower would be built on what is now a vacant lot at the end of East North Street, roughly across Lake Shore Drive from Navy Pier. To them, it represents not just a piece of fantastic skyline sculpture, but a work of architecture and urban planning with which they will have to live -- for better or for worse -- everyday. The tower would house 1,300 high-priced condominiums.

In December, after he released a version of the design that was likened to a piece of licorice, Kelleher revealed a more graceful version of the tower, in model form, to neighborhood groups and leaders of Chicago's architectural community. Unlike those showings, Monday's hearing was public.

What also was different Monday was the variety of voices that a public hearing invariably brings out. A representative of the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation pressed Kelleher on funding for the pedestrian bridges with which Calatrava wants to link the planned DuSable Park east of the tower to the lakefront bike path. The developer was non-committal.

Most of what Calatrava showed Monday appeared to be a refinement of his previous design for the skyscraper, effort, yet he also flashed renderings that seemed overly twisty -- almost grotesque in their baroque dynamism.

Which is the latest version of the design? Probably the better ones, as represented by the model and the computer animation. But the design keeps changing. "I will keep on working on the shape of the building to the very end," Calatrava said afterward.

After Monday afternoon's hearing, consultants for the project said that half the traffic it generates will affect Lake Shore Drive while the other half will make its presence felt on East North Water Street, a two-lane road reachable by Grand and Illinois Streets. When someone suggested that Monday's night event would be the true baptism for Kelleher and Calatrava, Kevin Lentz, executive vice president with Knight Engineers and Architects, part of the project team, said: "I don't know if that's a baptism or a dunking."
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #804
trvlr70

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Please, build it now!
That's ******* incredible! (Pardon my expletives)
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #805
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

great new pics!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #806
SNT1

Likes (Received): 12

This is most definitely the best proposal in the world right now. That's right, the BEST.
SNT1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #807
mightygoose

Likes (Received): 10

droooooooling.....
mightygoose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #808
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Zefire liked this post
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #809
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Zefire liked this post
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #810
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

stunning entrance!!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #811
Anansi8172

I'm loving these new renderings. It isn't nearly as drab as the previous renderings. The white lines breaking up the glass every floor is a great improvement over the straight glass sheeting of the previous designs. I was hoping this wasn't going to be built until now. Now I've flip-flopped and I'm anxious for this one to get started. Oh, and also the base looks incredible.
Anansi8172 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #812
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1 View Post
This is most definitely the best proposal in the world right now. That's right, the BEST.
I don't see what people like about it so much. It looks like a ***** or a birthday cake candle. And it doesn't fit the skyline at all.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #813
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Same renderings but clearer

Quote:
And it doesn't fit the skyline at all.
I'm tired of explaining this over and over again, so you can look at the previous pages or threads if you wish. And please, come up with an original response next time.

Unrelated, but someone mentioned that the building will be clad stainless steel and glass.

Last edited by spyguy; March 27th, 2007 at 09:19 PM.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #814
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
And it doesn't fit the skyline at all.
Neither did Sears and Hancock. Now you can't imagine Chicago without them.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #815
SNT1

Quote:
I don't see what people like about it so much. It looks like a ***** or a birthday cake candle. And it doesn't fit the skyline at all.
Know anyone who uses a 20-inch "toy"?

and what people said about Sears and Hancock not fitting in when they were new.
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #816
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 500

I agree this design is the best of all seen. Bulk and class.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #817
SLKRR
recifense honorário

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I don't see what people like about it so much. It looks like a ***** or a birthday cake candle.
I'd say it's more like a giant doobie than either of those. Whatever, it's still a great design and worthy of being built.
SLKRR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #818
Kngkyle

Official renders compliments of NewcitySkyline

Old March 28th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #819
SNT1

I know, I know, 0% chance of an observatory being built, but damn, I wish we could at least walk up into that base up close >_< so so so so sweeeeettttt
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #820
Kngkyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1 View Post
I know, I know, 0% chance of an observatory being built, but damn, I wish we could at least walk up into that base up close >_< so so so so sweeeeettttt
You should be able too, the plaza out front will most surely be open to the public.

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower