daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #8361
Birdboy08
Chicago!

Likes (Received): 0

It's not like he's already paid $40 million. I'm sure hes only paid a tiny fraction of that. Do you pay for the entire house all at once when you buy it?

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #8362
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Feb 04 - Noon

From above

higer res
2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

Obligatory ice in core shot.

Hard to catch the full depth of the patterns in the snow without a polarized filter. Much more pronounced when seen through my polarized glasses.

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa - Autostitch - Photomatix HDR

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #8363
MichiganWolverine
Go Blue

Well I feel that this is good news. I was feeling for the longest time that nothing was being done and that the lack of funding was a reflection on the financial well being of the projects, but the developers are actively seeking funding and the projects themselves still seem to be sound business decisions. It may not happen for some time; however, it is nice to know they are being realistic about their timetable and just waiting the economy out. I really hope Chicago gets the Olympics in 2016, but if we don't then I hope the projects are not negatively affected because Chicago isn't "the" city to build in. Also does anyone know know what happens to the money in escrow if they are constructing the Spire but not finished in 2013.
MichiganWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #8364
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

im starting to think this project will never go on.
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #8365
gusgazman

Likes (Received): 641

You can give a good use to the hole, burying your former president there... The deeper the better!
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #8366
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

A couple of days hence, NURBN's proposal for an artificial lake — an aqueous inversion of Jakob Tigges' Tempelhof Mountain, really — in Berlin reminded us of one expensive hole on Chicago's lakefront, the one dug for the construction of the Chicago Spire. Because of the economic downturn and the developer's secrecy about a date for the resumption of major work on the building, some have wondered if the hole will remain unfilled, in which case, count another one in a growing list of cancelled prestige projects. No doubt many will see this gaping abyss as a delicious commentary on the excesses of this decade.

But what to do with the hole? Blair Kamin, the Chicago Tribune's architecture critic, has the obvious but probably best idea. Last year, he wrote:

Might the hole, 76 feet deep by 110 feet wide, be filled with water and become the world's deepest swimming pool? Perhaps demonic sports federation directors would threaten to send losers in Olympic swimming races there, forcing them to backstroke in circles for the rest of their lives.

By Pruned
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #8367
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 66

It gives out a soviet look with all this snow and ice on the concrete and rust , its quite nice!

Anyway, this thread needs
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #8368
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

MODERATORS! Please lock this thread! There's no useful information been posted in its just becoming a Bitch and Bash session.
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #8369
Birdboy08
Chicago!

Why should it be locked? I enjoy looking at the updates from harryc and the news articles that are actually related to the Spire. With the exception of the occasional few asking "when will construction resume?", this thread seems productive to me.
Old February 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #8370
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

I hope the developer will find the loans soon so we can see real progress on Chicago Spire site. I really want this beautiful tower to be built.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #8371
Msradell
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdboy08 View Post
Why should it be locked? I enjoy looking at the updates from harryc and the news articles that are actually related to the Spire. With the exception of the occasional few asking "when will construction resume?", this thread seems productive to me.
All the updates do is show how much snow Chicago has since there haven't been any changes on the site. I agree seeing the articles is nice but they could be mailed to the moderators for posting. There have been no productive posts added in a long time and I'm sick of seeing questions about when will it be done? It looks like a swimming pool. And the many other stupid things people have added here. It's just a waste of our time to check the thread and read that BS. If people were little more sensible and didn't post junk there would ever be a need to lock a thread but people just don't think before they post rubbish.
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #8372
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
All the updates do is show how much snow Chicago has since there haven't been any changes on the site. I agree seeing the articles is nice but they could be mailed to the moderators for posting. There have been no productive posts added in a long time and I'm sick of seeing questions about when will it be done? It looks like a swimming pool. And the many other stupid things people have added here. It's just a waste of our time to check the thread and read that BS. If people were little more sensible and didn't post junk there would ever be a need to lock a thread but people just don't think before they post rubbish.
I agree with you, this thread is just filled with pages after pages of no real news. Please
Old February 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #8373
RonnieR

Likes (Received): 2711

amazing with over 2 Million views.
RonnieR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #8374
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Give it a rest you all. Threads should only be locked in the most extreme of circumstances.

I think this bit from the article is most telling: Specifically, Mr. Kelleher is waiting for next fall, when the city will learn whether it will be the site of the 2016 Olympics. “If Chicago lands the Olympics, it will certainly be a boost to the local economy,” Mr. Kelleher said.

It seems that decision on the Olympics is going to be the deal maker here.....or deal breaker if it goes elsewhere.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #8375
_Venom_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Any news?
_Venom_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #8376
secondcity1
less is more

Likes (Received): 10

Kelleher already put close to $170 mil into this project so he'll probably get the CS built when the time is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Although the location strikes me as a bit odd (Lake Shore Drive is noisy), it is a truly great design and a brilliant project. Some time somebody will pick it up again, I'm sure of that.
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #8377
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcity1 View Post
Kelleher already put close to $170 mil into this project so he'll probably get the CS built when the time is right.
as much as i like to believe that, you also have to remember the saying - "don't follow sunk costs." i'm sure kelleher is aware of that idea.
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #8378
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

From above

higer res 2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

Starting to thaw

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa - Autostitch - Photomatix HDR

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #8379
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Someone's been driving around out there.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #8380
Msradell
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
Someone's been driving around out there.
They removed the Dumpster that was over next to the ramp.

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower