daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #821
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

The last rendering posted by Kngkyle completely leaves out Trump, which will look HUGE from that angle.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #822
jobecob

Likes (Received): 43

The best building in the WHOLE WORLD
jobecob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #823
SNT1

Likes (Received): 12

and if you pan the camera a litlte more to the west... BAM, Waterview.

Good times for Chicago.
SNT1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #824
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Wow, this is the best rendering so far. I can't wait for this to be underway.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #825
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

WOW, the last rendering is awesome

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #826
Phobos

This is really an impressive project.BUILD IT!
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #827
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10102

so is this bldg ALL RESIDENTIAL? thus becoming worlds tallest units? what a great iconic structure. beautiful
Old March 28th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #828
ricardo

Likes (Received): 1

Once this building is done Chicago will take a 360 degree into a new era of architecture.
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #829
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
Once this building is done Chicago will take a 360 degree into a new era of architecture.
I hate to be the geometry police, but when you take a 360 degree turn, you end up going in the same direction as you were going initially.

Perhaps you meant that Chicago would be taking a 180 degree turn.

Hey, you might get people thinking, or at least head-scratching, if you say that Chicago would take a 270 degree turn.

Ouch. I sat on my protractor. No, I mean "compass." Oh, you get my drift.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #830
Chi649

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
yes, these new models have a very inspiring design.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #831
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
so is this bldg ALL RESIDENTIAL? thus becoming worlds tallest units? what a great iconic structure. beautiful
Yeah, the hotel and retail were removed a while ago, so now it will only be residential.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #832
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

like virtually all of you, i really like this building and would love to see it build. i'd like to throw out a couple of questions to you guys and one of them is negative:

• What effect would having such a building like this built here have on Chicago? How would we be different and how would others preceive us differently.

• Chicago Spire would look spectacular from Lake Michigan if on a ship off of Navy Pier seeing the way it split the skyline in half. The view from the west (let's say from the Eisenhower, particular further into the west side where the whole skyline is better seen) would also be more pleasing. The building would add more power and grace to the already mind boggling view coming in on the Kennedy. However, I'm not so sure about the north/south views, . Is there a chance that the Chicago Spire would be so off center, so far to the right or left that the views coming inbound on the Ryan or inbound on N LSD through Lincoln Park would be, perhaps, unpleasingly off-balanced???

Zefire liked this post
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #833
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

I prey that the Chicago Spire get build and gets built soon. The new renders have got me giggling like a little school girl with excitment. I hope they start the cassion work soon!
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #834
UniversalDiablo

Likes (Received): 0

For some weird reason I actually like this design alot more than the other designs. For some reason, my mind keeps thinking that the building renders are leaning to the right more. Anyone else seeing this? or is it just my imagination?
UniversalDiablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #835
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

OMG... those renders look awesome!!!!! This building is realy awesome!

(googles for buying an appartement in this beauty)

Cheers
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #836
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder28.article

Mayor aSpires to something that'll never be built

March 28, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER Sun-Times Columnist
You can say this for the Chicago Spire -- it's gotten people's interest. There were at least 500 people Monday night at architect Santiago Calatrava's presentation of the 150-story building at a meeting called by the Streeterville Organization of Active Residents.
My Sun-Times colleague, Kevin Nance, said there were about 200 people at another community meeting Calatrava and the project's developer Garrett Kelleher, starred in earlier in the day.

This was the dance City Hall imposes on developers. It requires them to show their faces and plans to the people. The mayor's planning department might already have approved the plans, but they want the public meetings just so they aren't blindsided by concerted opposition or even well-reasoned criticism.

If all goes well at the meetings, then the project sails to approval, all political tradewinds in its service.

And make no mistake: This new "nation's tallest building" for the lakefront will be approved. Mayor Daley wants it badly as a symbol to the world of Chicago's sophistication.

Adding a millionaires' residence under the Calatrava signature on a Chicago postcard could do that for the city. Now in its fourth public version, Calatrava's design is dramatically better than Version No. 3, and has the potential to dazzle. He's devoted great care to how the building relates to human scale. This is no giant that lands with a thud.

But it will never be built. At least not to the current scale or design.

The building is financially illogical to the extreme. Kelleher, the man in charge of the logic, cannot satisfactorily explain how he will bring it about.

He is the anti-Donald Trump. Kelleher shrinks from the public eye, his hair raises no suspicions as to its origin, and he is by all accounts a devoted husband and father. Good for him. It's all perfect for a guy rehabbing three-flahich is pretty much how he started in Chicago in the 1980s before leaving for Dublin.

But he's also befuddled about the attention and the rude questions aimed at him now that he's backing what would be one of the most prominent buildings in the world. Kelleher spent a generous amount of time with me Monday afternoon to discuss his plans, but his answers were lacking. (Excerpts from the interview ran in Tuesday's Sun-Times and are at suntimes.com.)

He couldn't explain why, as the sole equity owner, he has a peculiarly open checkbook from his financier, Anglo Irish Bank. Kelleher repeated that he can start construction with no advance sales of the 1,200 condominiums he plans to bring to an elite market. Other condo developers must live by pre-sales. Not him.

I asked Kelleher three different ways what major project of his in Europe qualifies him to take on the Chicago Spire. What's his largest project to date? Which one is he most proud of? Each time, he answered in generalities about each project carrying its challenges.

His Shelbourne Development Ltd. has completed residential and commercial buildings in Dublin, London, Brussels and France. Yet he cited none by name or location.

Kelleher said he is risking "a significant portion" of his net worth on the spire. So what's the harm here? Only this:

Let's say he goes up 20 stories, and runs out of cash, with no sales in sight.

Construction crews retreat, and the property gets tied up in foreclosure or other litigation. The required costs are so staggering that no other investor dares take on the risk.

The spire becomes a stub. Or more to the point, what was to be a showpiece becomes a skyline ruin. It has happened before with projects of less importance or ambition. Think of the stub as Block 37 gone vertical.

Now there's a scenario that might get the attention of planner-in-chief Richard Daley. Kelleher owes us all a few more answers before the Chicago Plan Commission's scheduled blessing of the spire on April 19.

He owes us even though he'll get sympathy just from the Don Quixote nature of his quest. So in that spirit, here's an offer to Kelleher. If he can top off this construction project, he's got beer and burgers at the Billy Goat on me.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #837
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 879

March 28, 2007

You can say this for the Chicago Spire -- it's gotten people's interest. There were at least 500 people Monday night at architect Santiago Calatrava's presentation of the 150-story building at a meeting called by the Streeterville Organization of Active Residents.
My Sun-Times colleague, Kevin Nance, said there were about 200 people at another community meeting Calatrava and the project's developer Garrett Kelleher, starred in earlier in the day.

This was the dance City Hall imposes on developers. It requires them to show their faces and plans to the people. The mayor's planning department might already have approved the plans, but they want the public meetings just so they aren't blindsided by concerted opposition or even well-reasoned criticism.

If all goes well at the meetings, then the project sails to approval, all political tradewinds in its service.

And make no mistake: This new "nation's tallest building" for the lakefront will be approved. Mayor Daley wants it badly as a symbol to the world of Chicago's sophistication.

Adding a millionaires' residence under the Calatrava signature on a Chicago postcard could do that for the city. Now in its fourth public version, Calatrava's design is dramatically better than Version No. 3, and has the potential to dazzle. He's devoted great care to how the building relates to human scale. This is no giant that lands with a thud.

The building is financially illogical to the extreme. Kelleher, the man in charge of the logic, cannot satisfactorily explain how he will bring it about.

He is the anti-Donald Trump. Kelleher shrinks from the public eye, his hair raises no suspicions as to its origin, and he is by all accounts a devoted husband and father. Good for him. It's all perfect for a guy rehabbing three-flahich is pretty much how he started in Chicago in the 1980s before leaving for Dublin.

But he's also befuddled about the attention and the rude questions aimed at him now that he's backing what would be one of the most prominent buildings in the world. Kelleher spent a generous amount of time with me Monday afternoon to discuss his plans, but his answers were lacking. (Excerpts from the interview ran in Tuesday's Sun-Times and are at suntimes.com.)

He couldn't explain why, as the sole equity owner, he has a peculiarly open checkbook from his financier, Anglo Irish Bank. Kelleher repeated that he can start construction with no advance sales of the 1,200 condominiums he plans to bring to an elite market. Other condo developers must live by pre-sales. Not him.

I asked Kelleher three different ways what major project of his in Europe qualifies him to take on the Chicago Spire. What's his largest project to date? Which one is he most proud of? Each time, he answered in generalities about each project carrying its challenges.

His Shelbourne Development Ltd. has completed residential and commercial buildings in Dublin, London, Brussels and France. Yet he cited none by name or location.

Kelleher said he is risking "a significant portion" of his net worth on the spire. So what's the harm here? Only this:

Construction crews retreat, and the property gets tied up in foreclosure or other litigation. The required costs are so staggering that no other investor dares take on the risk.

The spire becomes a stub. Or more to the point, what was to be a showpiece becomes a skyline ruin. It has happened before with projects of less importance or ambition. Think of the stub as Block 37 gone vertical.

Now there's a scenario that might get the attention of planner-in-chief Richard Daley. Kelleher owes us all a few more answers before the Chicago Plan Commission's scheduled blessing of the spire on April 19.

He owes us even though he'll get sympathy just from the Don Quixote nature of his quest. So in that spirit, here's an offer to Kelleher. If he can top off this construction project, he's got beer and burgers at the Billy Goat on me.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #838
Cristovão471

Is that some kind of joke?
Cristovão471 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #839
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Coruscant View Post

March 28, 2007

definitely has that Sun-Times ring to it, doesn't it?

Zefire liked this post
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #840
ricardo

Likes (Received): 1

Wow mr roeder is very negative. How do we know kelleher dos not have a waiting list. Remember the condos are beeing sold international not just in chicago. I beleive that if keller did not have the money,he would have back off allready before making himself look stupid like the fordham company.
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower