daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM   #8581
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
Though it is an interesting point - one that shows that CS might very well have the highest *residential* floors in the world, the BD does have higher occupiable floors.

You can gauge from the panoramas that the 140s is about even with Sears' antennas so ~1.707 feet. The 160s in BD are past 611 meters so that is already at least 2,000'+.

Sorry for just replying recently and not catching the last few pages of this thread since I recently was out of town but that seems to be the case. This building will surely have the highest *residences* in the world when it's completed... surely a wonderful thing!

Since we're on height, one other bit of food for thought is % of used ratio (not really "unused" but just not occupiable) of each building. I'm just guessing so please don't take the numbers as truth.

CS Highest floor = 1,750' (Lv 142) of 2,000' = 87.5% occupied.
BD Highest floor = 2,050' (Lv 162-M3) of 2,680' = ~77% occupied.

A bit of a difference but hey, different uses and structure so just an interesting thought.
Depends on what you consider occupiable. You could put a desk in a mechanical room and call it an office, or call an obsevation deck occupied, but the BD won't have any regularly "occupied" floors above 124 or so.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM   #8582
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
Depends on what you consider occupiable. You could put a desk in a mechanical room and call it an office, or call an obsevation deck occupied, but the BD won't have any regularly "occupied" floors above 124 or so.
That's not even close to being true, you know.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM   #8583
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC1987 View Post
The duplex penthouse will be on levels 141 and 142.

This is a link to a panoramic view from what will be the 140th floor, 2 floors below the top penthouse level.

http://www.thechicagospire.com/building/panoramas/140/

This is a diagram of the different floor/panorama levels, you can see how close the top the highest occupied floor/penthouse is.

http://www.thechicagospire.com/building/panoramas/

It looks a lot higher than the Sears Tower roof, which means that the Spire's highest occupied floor will be higher than the BD's.
bump
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:25 AM   #8584
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
That's not true. It has regular office floors up to something like the 158th floor.
In fact the BD has about 200 floors if you count the unoccupied ones (similar to the way the ESB has over 100 floors)
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:56 AM   #8585
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

The highest level occupied by tenants in the BD is 154 and its floor is at 574.5 meters.

The highest residential level in the BD is 108 and its floor is at 375.3 meters.

The CS will have residential levels higher than the BD but not the highest occupied level. Of course the BD's highest named level, roof, and pinnacle are much higher yet ...

Don't get me wrong - the CS is one of my favorite structures with an excellent design. It has photog coverage that is second only to the BD {Tokyo Skytree is getting good too). I have over 3500 shots of the CS foundation work thanks to HarryC and others which start at the first shovelfull (backhoe) of dirt moved for site prep.

The CS is on hold now but I can't wait for it to resume and once completed take its place in the Chicago skyline.

Old April 24th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #8586
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

April 23rd

From above

higer res 2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

The park - with Navy Pier in the background

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa - Autostitch - Photomatix HDR

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #8587
diskojoe
Registered Menace

Version A:

i like this version
diskojoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #8588
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
Version A:
i like this version
? In my opinion it's certainly not as functional as the one now planned. It's just a decent looking building with a stupid looking spire stuck on top to make everyone think it's taller than actually is, much like Freedom Tower!
Old April 24th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #8589
diskojoe
Registered Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
? In my opinion it's certainly not as functional as the one now planned. It's just a decent looking building with a stupid looking spire stuck on top to make everyone think it's taller than actually is, much like Freedom Tower!
imagine that, a building called the spire that has a spire.
Old April 25th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #8590
Birdboy08
Chicago!

Likes (Received): 0

or a building that doesn't have a spire, but IS one
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #8591
foxmulder_ms

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Version A:

i like this version
I am sorry but
foxmulder_ms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #8592
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Version A:

i like this version
oh god no
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #8593
gayscraper

Likes (Received): 3

yes, this is soooo damn ugly! Really love the design how it is now!
Old April 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #8594
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Ok! Enough.What did you guyz have in mind about the building when you are doubting the engineering behind this? Anything is possible with Americans.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #8595
Msradell
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
Ok! Enough.What did you guyz have in mind about the building when you are doubting the engineering behind this? Anything is possible with Americans.
?? I don't see any discussion about engineering, all I see is a discussion about the design of the structure! That has absolutely nothing to do with engineering.
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #8596
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
?? I don't see any discussion about engineering, all I see is a discussion about the design of the structure! That has absolutely nothing to do with engineering.
What?design or engineering - what I am saying is that the first require the second.Which many think here can not be realised by any construction firm available yet. Maybe you didn't grasp the term very well.

However, there is every possibility that what has been done so far is outstanding enough to prove the design can be constructed by Americans.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #8597
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
What?design or engineering - what I am saying is that the first require the second.Which many think here can not be realised by any construction firm available yet. Maybe you didn't grasp the term very well.

However, there is every possibility that what has been done so far is outstanding enough to prove the design can be constructed by Americans.
I believe that he grasped the term quite readily, design and engineering are two completely different things. The past few posts have been in discussion of the DESIGN of the tower, specifically that of an earlier render. While at an earlier date people might have been discussing the ENGINEERING of the tower, that discussion seems to be quite finished.

If you are referencing an earlier discussion, please make that clear instead of snapping at people who don't understand what your prattling on about.

Anyways, that old render IS godawful. I like the current design much better.
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #8598
Msradell
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiki24 View Post
I believe that he grasped the term quite readily, design and engineering are two completely different things. The past few posts have been in discussion of the DESIGN of the tower, specifically that of an earlier render. While at an earlier date people might have been discussing the ENGINEERING of the tower, that discussion seems to be quite finished.

If you are referencing an earlier discussion, please make that clear instead of snapping at people who don't understand what your prattling on about.

Anyways, that old render IS godawful. I like the current design much better.
Thanks for explaining to friendsofthecity the differences between design and engineering. Obviously he doesn't realize there's a significant difference. As you noted the ongoing discussion was just about designed and had nothing to do with engineering.
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #8599
Duzk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

I remember a bunch of people liked the first version back in the day.
Duzk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #8600
diskojoe
Registered Menace

such a heated debate. never thought such a silly comment would spark all that. but i like the new rendering too. i think it a more modern simplistic design without the spire. the spire addition is really more reminiscent of NYC and not Chicago. so try not to

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower