daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #8841
chicagofan112
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Calatrava sure did a great job with this project. It would be a shame if his amazing work didn\'t come to life. Thank god there\'s still hope.
chicagofan112 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #8842
inthemidway

carl sandburg once wrote about chicago's will to never give up and hard work to achieve goals. this tower WILL be built in a place where things actually get done. shelbourne will not go down before completing the spire. God bless Chicago!
inthemidway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #8843
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinpeace View Post
I showed some of my friends this building and they said it was shaped like something
How original! I bet a comment like this has only been made a couple of hundred times in this thread!
Old August 21st, 2009, 03:46 PM   #8844
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Looks like the crisis is not so strog anymore...A couple of towers around the world, which were on hold, are on the track again...Hope to see something good here soon...
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:19 AM   #8845
Mobius57
Virginia!!!

Likes (Received): 6

I suspect something may come soon!

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers." -Carl Sagan

For me, everything is remarkable.

Southeast Virginia.
Mobius57 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:41 AM   #8846
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

if chicago gets the 2016 summer olympics then that alone should be a reason to put the tower up. the spire wouldn't be finished much earlier than the commencement of the games. with the world's eyes on chicago and thousands of foreigners pouring into the city, anybody who is anybody will be wanting a piece of the tower. i'm sure the property values for the apts would skyrocket. i've got my fingers crossed that chicago clinches. we find out in november.

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #8847
Killatown

Likes (Received): 166

i hope that this proyect become true
Killatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #8848
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

I'm pretty sure (someone correct me please) that you can't just arbitrarily ask for money back?
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #8849
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

If your attorney is smart, they will make sure a clause like this exists in your pre-construction contract: "if the project is not done within x number of months of the planned delivery date, you get all your money back." The exact situation happened to my brother-in-law, when he put money down on a condo in Lincoln Park a few years ago. (that awful building on Fullerton, between Ashland and Clybourn). The developer was way over a year beyond their original delivery date, and he was easily able to get out of it and buy another place. Would have been stuck waiting for at least another year, which I believe happened to many of the other owners.

So it's entirely possible that some people are stuck in their Spire contracts, and would have to take a huge loss if they backed out. But others probably have it written that they can get out at some point, with minimal money lost. (just my opinion, of course.)
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #8850
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Aug 27

From above

higer res : 2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

Still pumping out the hole

And mowing the "grass"

making way for new growth

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa - Autostitch - Photomatix HDR

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #8851
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

lol
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #8852
quanghuynhchung
CENTRAL - Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 8

yes lol
quanghuynhchung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #8853
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 796

That looks like a nice ***** hehe
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #8854
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
That looks like a nice ***** hehe
LMAO I think this has been said on every page of this thread
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #8855
kingpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
if chicago gets the 2016 summer olympics then that alone should be a reason to put the tower up. the spire wouldn't be finished much earlier than the commencement of the games. with the world's eyes on chicago and thousands of foreigners pouring into the city, anybody who is anybody will be wanting a piece of the tower. i'm sure the property values for the apts would skyrocket. i've got my fingers crossed that chicago clinches. we find out in november.

I have been saying that for awhile now. I think they are waiting for the results of the bid. If we get the olympics, they will resume right away. But if we don't, it could be on hold for a long while. I have my fingers crossed.
kingpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #8856
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

The Olympics are probably headed to Rio.... South America has never held the Olympics...

I think the tower's construction has nothing to do with the Olympics. It has to do with getting the financing to secure construction costs... Once that occurrs construction will resume.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #8857
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

The 2016 Olympics will have no bearing on this tower being built or not. Having said that, this tower should be built irregardless. It's an incredibly beautiful building and will be one of the greatest ever made.

The Spire is a luxury condominium tower. It's purely residential. Sales both locally and internationally will not sprout up just because Chicago gets awarded a month long international sporting event. If this were a hotel or office tower, a more direct link to the Olympics might exist.
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:41 PM   #8858
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

yawn.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:50 AM   #8859
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
The 2016 Olympics will have no bearing on this tower being built or not. Having said that, this tower should be built irregardless. It's an incredibly beautiful building and will be one of the greatest ever made.
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #8860
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Jello View Post

Exactly what the inner grammar-nut in me felt as well. And I also disagree with the statement that whether or not Chicago gets the 2016 Olympics doesn't matter for the construction of this tower. If Chicago does win the bid, then the city, the US government and private investors all have a much larger impetus to get something like this built. Olympic games tend to bring new developments, infrastructure and prestige to a city. This will attract investors to this humongous project, and give the City Government and the US Government reason to get behind it.

Look at the CCTV tower in Beijing or the Shard in London. While they might have been built/approved anyways, I doubt that anyone could argue that being set for completion around the time that their respective cities were/are set to host the Olympic games didn't help at least a little.

If Chicago wins the bid expect more focus to be given to all Chicago developments, the Spire included. It may still be built even if Chicago loses the bid, but lets hope that they win it.
-The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.

-Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life (1923)
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower