daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #8881
The_Bazz_92

Likes (Received): 3

So is there the possibility that this tower could be cancelled like it happened for Russia Tower ?
The_Bazz_92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #8882
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bazz_92 View Post
So is there the possibility that this tower could be cancelled like it happened for Russia Tower ?
Unfortunately, yes, and it's very likely.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #8883
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
Unfortunately, yes, and it's very likely.
NO PROOF that's it's "very likely!" NONE!
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #8884
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
All signs can be read either way. There is even less proof that it won't be canceled. While we can hope that it will be built, there is little more we can do. Unless you have the money to go buy a few units, that might help a bit.
-The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.

-Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life (1923)
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #8885
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
OMG its ONN LOL... seriously be realistic... u seem to have too much pride in ur country.
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #8886
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

How much percent of the space is sold?
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #8887
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
How much percent of the space is sold?
About 1/3 have pre-sold. But that information is from a year ago.
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #8888
phuonghoang
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

This is one of the specialest architecture that I have ever seen.
phuonghoang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #8889
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Quote:
It would have started already if they had the sales, and since they couldn't get them even before the property slowdown, it is very likely that they won't get them after the current slowdown. Sorry, but a goner's a goner, they didn't do the best advertising strategy, Chicago is not a global enough city to attract rich people living in Asia (or elsewhere). There is a very low chance that winning the Olympics may jump-start this tower, but since 1.) winning the Olympics is unlikely with Rio in the lead, and 2.) it doesn't affect getting financing, there probably won't be any change in status. Sorry but shut up if you make such a ridiculous claim such as there is "no proof," you've trolled enough threads already.
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #8890
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
It would have started already if they had the sales, and since they couldn't get them even before the property slowdown, it is very likely that they won't get them after the current slowdown. Sorry, but a goner's a goner, they didn't do the best advertising strategy, Chicago is not a global enough city to attract rich people living in Asia (or elsewhere). There is a very low chance that winning the Olympics may jump-start this tower, but since 1.) winning the Olympics is unlikely with Rio in the lead, and 2.) it doesn't affect getting financing, there probably won't be any change in status. Sorry but shut up if you make such a ridiculous claim such as there is "no proof," you've trolled enough threads already.
The property slowdown happened right after they started marketing the building! Stop being so pessimistic! Chicago has a very high chance of winning the Olympics, Rio is not in the lead. That proves you have no clue what you’re talking about, how can one city "be in the lead"? "No Proof" has nothing to do with trolling. There is "no proof" that the Spire has been cancelled! That's a fact! Stopping spreading crap.
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #8891
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
The property slowdown happened right after they started marketing the building! Stop being so pessimistic! Chicago has a very high chance of winning the Olympics, Rio is not in the lead. That proves you have no clue what you’re talking about, how can one city "be in the lead"? "No Proof" has nothing to do with trolling. There is "no proof" that the Spire has been cancelled! That's a fact! Stopping spreading crap.
Nobody said it was going to be cancelled, they just said that the chances of it being built are pretty low. After all, there has been no work on the site for over a year. There is probably grass growing out of the hole now!
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #8892
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
Nobody said it was going to be cancelled
What's this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian
"Sorry, but a goner's a goner..."
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #8893
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

it will most likely be canceled, it just hasn't been yet (just like with Russia Tower). Chicago has a low chance of winning the Olympics because the IOC is concerned, with good reason, that it might be a repeat of the debacle of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and also for the reason that South America hasn't had an Olympic ever, so I think they would be willing to give it to them for the sake of geographic diversity; there’s only ever been a handful of Olympics outside the US or Europe.
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #8894
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
it will most likely be canceled, it just hasn't been yet (just like with Russia Tower). Chicago has a low chance of winning the Olympics because the IOC is concerned, with good reason, that it might be a repeat of the debacle of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and also for the reason that South America hasn't had an Olympic ever, so I think they would be willing to give it to them for the sake of geographic diversity; there’s only ever been a handful of Olympics outside the US or Europe.
Listen, there is no reason for Shelbourne to cancel the Spire. They could hold on to the Spire site for years, it's not going to bankrupt them. I assume they are going to wait for the market to get better again, they can do that. It's not like there are other developers fighting for the site, it sat vacant for more than 20 years. Not only that, there has already been millions of dollars done in evacuation and ungrounded infrastructure work. Considering the importance of this tower and its sheer beauty, I would find it hard to believe the developer and city are going to give up that easily.

I'm sorry, but I think you're letting your personal preferences get in the way. There is no connection between Atlanta 1996 and Chicago 2016. Chicago is very well suited to host the Olympics, Rio is not yet. I don't see a way for Rio to build the amount of space that is needed to house 2 million tourists in time for the games. It's not economically realistic, even with cruise ships. Rio would have to start building large amounts of luxury hotels now, or even earlier. Brazil is just not there yet, there is a very good reason most of the Olympics so far have only been held in developed countries. They don't just do that because it's where the money is. Holding the Olympics is a very large job. I'm not sure I would exactly call the Beijing Olympics a huge success. It looked good, but for people who were there I'm not sure everyone had the same impressions. China spent a lot of money just to do what they did, and I don't see Brazil doing the same. In order to hold a successful Olympics, Brazil is going to have to spend equally as much as China did. OR Rio waits until they are ready to hold one, in which case the budget will be much more manageable. It's not just about money, but you have to have the internal infrastructure in place. This either takes 10+ years to build, or you throw money at the problem....but again, I don't see Brazil doing that.

Rio could win, I don't know. But I certainly don't think it's above Chicago by any stretch. Both cites have strengths and weaknesses. Obviously Brazil hasn't held one, but there's always next time. Long-shot bids rarely get picked the first time.

Last edited by Onn; September 11th, 2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #8895
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

it probably will be a shortened tower, they will eventually try to get a profit somehow and there most likely isn't enough buyers or financing for a full-size tower, so they can either have another tower design entirely, or the 1500 ft version with the 500 ft spire on top (ugly as hell, unfortunately, especially compared to the full-sized version).
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #8896
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
it probably will be a shortened tower, they will eventually try to get a profit somehow and there most likely isn't enough buyers or financing for a full-size tower, so they can either have another tower design entirely, or the 1500 ft version with the 500 ft spire on top (ugly as hell, unfortunately, especially compared to the full-sized version).
Well I'll wait for the render before I judge that...
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #8897
yangkhm

Likes (Received): 172

anyone know when will it start to build again?
yangkhm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #8898
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Well, if Chicago does get the Olympics, and the Spire still hasn't been built, they could fill the hole with water and use it for the high-diving venue!
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #8899
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast View Post
yes it was, if they stayed with that design it would of been my favorite design in the world, even better then the Burj Dubai
This one is really beautiful, Burj Dubai is pretty for sure. But somehow I too find this version much more appropriate and fit in the skyline of Chicago the best.

The other versien that most people talk about, somehow reminds me of projects in China.
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #8900
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Sept 10

From above

higer res 2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa - Autostitch - Photomatix HDR

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower