daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #9021
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
A 1500ft version of the Chicago Spire would actually work better. There's nothing magical about 2000 feet - there are already taller buildings in the world.
There actually is something very special because it would be the tallest all residential building.

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #9022
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
A 1500ft version of the Chicago Spire would actually work better. There's nothing magical about 2000 feet - there are already taller buildings in the world.
It would be a landmark, we already have a 1500ft building.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #9023
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC1987 View Post
All of that is made moot by the fact that eventually buildings will be built in Chicago that are between the height of the Willis Tower and the Chicago Spire, making the Spire's impact less dramatic, if that even matters.
Well if Shelbourne fails that makes the next person all the more determined to build something taller than the Willis Tower. But the architecture in the Spire is simply mind-blowing, I've been mesmerized by the design since I first laid eyes on it. If Chicago lost the project it would be a real shame.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #9024
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
You clearly don't want this building built.
actually he's being realistic
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #9025
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentStrike View Post
actually he's being realistic
No, he thinks it's all about finances. But that's not the case when you’re talking about North America's tallest building. There's definitely more at play than just that. He's not even thinking about the long term prospects.
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #9026
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
All of that is made moot by the fact that eventually buildings will be built in Chicago that are between the height of the Willis Tower and the Chicago Spire, making the Spire's impact less dramatic, if that even matters.

And I disagree about the location. I think a tower like the Chicago Spire *should* have a front and center spot in the skyline.
Your observation is good but I don't think there is better alternative to that location for a building of that height.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #9027
EMPIREOFLIGHTS
FINISH THE CHICAGO SPIRE

Likes (Received): 2

Willis Tower,Still can't believe the abrupt change. It's almost as bad as changeing the name of the Empire State Building to a different name.
EMPIREOFLIGHTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #9028
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Sorry for beeing offtopic, BUT for me it's still the Sears Tower!
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #9029
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Why can't some billionaire with money to spare give the money to finance this building?

I mean, if Oprah loves Chicago so much..
Between Oprah and Obama....maybe take a little out of the bailout money to 'finance' this project?
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #9030
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
Between Oprah and Obama....maybe take a little out of the bailout money to 'finance' this project?
Lol!Health Care reform is still there to take care of.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #9031
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Well, which is it, dead or starting in two years ? These guys sound like they were blowing stuff out their a$$e$.
It depends on the developer. They can choose to hold onto the property until the market picks up (2 years), or they can sell it, which would mean the project is canceled.
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #9032
Viperfreak2
BANNED

THAT's IT! Turn the Spire into the worlds largest HOSPITAL! lol
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #9033
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Oct 8

From above

higer res 2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

Working on LSD in the rain

Slipping away

Ramp from the drive

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa - Autostitch - Photomatix HDR

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #9034
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 325

I always had a dream that this site would be overgrown with grass and weeds and birds swimming in a puddle of water at the bottom of the hole.

Looks like my dreams are coming true.
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #9035
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 325

delete

Last edited by Westyguy; October 9th, 2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: double post
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #9036
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

That recession...or depression stuff was just a rumour wasn't it...anyway it's over if it did happen so just get into gear and get this thing up !
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #9037
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....calatrava.html

October 09, 2009

Spire awaits the next twist; reports of tower's death premature, says Calatrava

Dreams die hard, especially those of the jumbo skyscraper variety.

When Santiago Calatrava was in town last week for a lecture titled “Beyond the Spire,” I figured he was ready to stick an R.I.P. sign on his plan for the Chicago Spire, the famously unbuilt condo tower that would have twisted 2,000 feet into the sky at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive.

Wrong.

Calatrava counseled patience, saying he has done railway stations that have taken as long as 13 years to complete. The Spire was announced only four years ago. “My personal wish is that it is not dead,” he said.

The architect and engineer, a Spanish native who lives in New York City, has also run into turbulence at ground zero, where his World Trade Center transit hub is far over budget and behind schedule. But Calatrava is keeping his head above water during these trying economic times.

He just opened a smashing new high-speed train hub in Belgium. He’s part of a team that’s designing a big makeover of Denver’s airport. Last summer, the University of South Florida Polytechnic announced that he had been hired to design a new science and technology building on its Lakeland, Fla., campus, not far from Frank Lloyd Wright’s Florida Southern College.

“We have had some adjustment,” Calatrava said, acknowledging that he has had to make some layoffs in his three offices (Zurich, New York and Valencia, Spain). “But in general, I have to say things are going not bad.”

His lecture was a highlight of Wednesday’s opening of the nonprofit Instituto Cervantes of Chicago, which promotes the teaching of Spanish and Spanish culture. The talk, which I moderated, was a chance to get an update on all things Calatrava, especially the Spire.

Construction on the tower, which was to have been the nation’s tallest building, halted last year and the project remains an embarrassing hole in the ground. Many observers presume it to be dead.

But a spokeswoman for the Spire’s developer, Garrett Kelleher, said in a separate interview Wednesday that buyers are still coming into the project’s sales center, albeit in fewer numbers than before last year’s financial collapse, and that Kelleher has even arranged for some financing in the last few months.

“We’re definitely making headway,” said the spokeswoman, Kim Metcalfe, though she acknowledged that no date is set for construction to resume.

In addition, Metcalfe said, Kelleher has not settled with Spire contractors who filed liens against his Shelbourne Development Group Inc. Calatrava, for his part, is seeking more than $11 million in payments.
With the Spire at best an iffy proposition, I asked Calatrava after his talk if he thought the tower might be built instead in some skyscraper-happy Persian Gulf emirate.

No, he said, explaining that the Spire had been tailored to the Chicago riverfront and lakefront — an answer I took as a promise that he will only build the Spire in Chicago.

In an interview before his lecture, we discussed the troubles besetting his ground zero transit hub, whose above-ground, steel-and-glass pavilion bears a superficial resemblance to Calatrava’s addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum.

The project’s cost has ballooned to $3.2 billion and it is now not expected to be completed until 2014, five years after the original projected completion date.

The project, Calatrava said, is far more daunting than the pavilion would suggest. It has enormously long underground concourses and connections to a veritable thicket of subway lines. It had to be redesigned, with an added emphasis on security, after the terrorist attacks in Madrid and London.

In general, Calatrava said, “these horizontal buildings are enormously complex” because they must navigate an underground maze of city services and utilities.

Despite his troubles at ground zero, Calatrava is still widely recognized as a master railway station and bridge builder. The Guardian of London just hailed his new Belgian train station as “majestic, daring — and a destination in itself.”

I asked Calatrava to imagine that he were sitting in a room with Barack Obama and had a chance to advise the president on America’s infrastructure program. What lessons would he draw from his projects?

His answer was both wise and modest. He said he would ask Obama to look at Golden Gate Bridge, the Brooklyn Bridge, Rockefeller Center and other great American structures, particularly those that were built in hard times. These public works and buildings are evidence of American boldness and resolve, he said, quoting Franklin Roosevelt: “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #9038
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....calatrava.html

October 09, 2009

Spire awaits the next twist; reports of tower's death premature, says Calatrava

Dreams die hard, especially those of the jumbo skyscraper variety.

When Santiago Calatrava was in town last week for a lecture titled “Beyond the Spire,” I figured he was ready to stick an R.I.P. sign on his plan for the Chicago Spire, the famously unbuilt condo tower that would have twisted 2,000 feet into the sky at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive.

Wrong.

Calatrava counseled patience, saying he has done railway stations that have taken as long as 13 years to complete. The Spire was announced only four years ago. “My personal wish is that it is not dead,” he said.

The architect and engineer, a Spanish native who lives in New York City, has also run into turbulence at ground zero, where his World Trade Center transit hub is far over budget and behind schedule. But Calatrava is keeping his head above water during these trying economic times.

He just opened a smashing new high-speed train hub in Belgium. He’s part of a team that’s designing a big makeover of Denver’s airport. Last summer, the University of South Florida Polytechnic announced that he had been hired to design a new science and technology building on its Lakeland, Fla., campus, not far from Frank Lloyd Wright’s Florida Southern College.

“We have had some adjustment,” Calatrava said, acknowledging that he has had to make some layoffs in his three offices (Zurich, New York and Valencia, Spain). “But in general, I have to say things are going not bad.”

His lecture was a highlight of Wednesday’s opening of the nonprofit Instituto Cervantes of Chicago, which promotes the teaching of Spanish and Spanish culture. The talk, which I moderated, was a chance to get an update on all things Calatrava, especially the Spire.

Construction on the tower, which was to have been the nation’s tallest building, halted last year and the project remains an embarrassing hole in the ground. Many observers presume it to be dead.

But a spokeswoman for the Spire’s developer, Garrett Kelleher, said in a separate interview Wednesday that buyers are still coming into the project’s sales center, albeit in fewer numbers than before last year’s financial collapse, and that Kelleher has even arranged for some financing in the last few months.

“We’re definitely making headway,” said the spokeswoman, Kim Metcalfe, though she acknowledged that no date is set for construction to resume.

In addition, Metcalfe said, Kelleher has not settled with Spire contractors who filed liens against his Shelbourne Development Group Inc. Calatrava, for his part, is seeking more than $11 million in payments.
With the Spire at best an iffy proposition, I asked Calatrava after his talk if he thought the tower might be built instead in some skyscraper-happy Persian Gulf emirate.

No, he said, explaining that the Spire had been tailored to the Chicago riverfront and lakefront — an answer I took as a promise that he will only build the Spire in Chicago.

In an interview before his lecture, we discussed the troubles besetting his ground zero transit hub, whose above-ground, steel-and-glass pavilion bears a superficial resemblance to Calatrava’s addition to the Milwaukee Art Museum.

The project’s cost has ballooned to $3.2 billion and it is now not expected to be completed until 2014, five years after the original projected completion date.

The project, Calatrava said, is far more daunting than the pavilion would suggest. It has enormously long underground concourses and connections to a veritable thicket of subway lines. It had to be redesigned, with an added emphasis on security, after the terrorist attacks in Madrid and London.

In general, Calatrava said, “these horizontal buildings are enormously complex” because they must navigate an underground maze of city services and utilities.

Despite his troubles at ground zero, Calatrava is still widely recognized as a master railway station and bridge builder. The Guardian of London just hailed his new Belgian train station as “majestic, daring — and a destination in itself.”

I asked Calatrava to imagine that he were sitting in a room with Barack Obama and had a chance to advise the president on America’s infrastructure program. What lessons would he draw from his projects?

His answer was both wise and modest. He said he would ask Obama to look at Golden Gate Bridge, the Brooklyn Bridge, Rockefeller Center and other great American structures, particularly those that were built in hard times. These public works and buildings are evidence of American boldness and resolve, he said, quoting Franklin Roosevelt: “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #9039
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Sounds cautiously optimistic.
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #9040
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
Sounds cautiously optimistic.
"My personal wish is that it's not dead"? Well, it is his baby. And he hopes to get paid. Calatrava is in no position to determine the fate of this project and his carefully-chosen and completely neutral comment doesn't imply he knows anything or has discussed anything recently with Kelleher's team. Nor does it change my belief that this thing is indeed dead.

The spokeswoman's comments are boilerplate developer fluff, delivered by someone who is desperately clinging to her job. Completely meaningless. Did the reporter really expect her to say the project is hanging on by a thread or that you can hear crickets chirping in his sales center? In fact, her comments were so austerely "optimistic" for a real estate salesperson as to suggest she knows it's dead too.

In short, there's nothing new or optimistic in that report. My speculation is that they just need a little more time to determine the trend line after the Olympics loss before they pull the plug. Dreams like this do die hard.

Last edited by DFDalton; October 9th, 2009 at 08:21 PM.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower