daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #9101
xombie
Дыхание сердец! <3

Likes (Received): 99

There's a chance this project will suffer the same fate as Russia Tower! But i'm an optimist. Hopefully they'll build it (and Russia Tower too).
xombie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #9102
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyguy View Post
When will the property market recover in the United States? I live in Sydney, Australia and the commercial and residential property markets are showing signs of recovery and interest rates are going up again.

Why can't Barack Obama send some stimulus money and declare this a project of national significance and get it built. After all it is his home town.

The longer we wait the greater the chance that this will be cancelled. That would be very depressing news.
If the WTC doesn't have 100% government funding what makes you think an expensive condo tower will get government subsidies?
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #9103
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by xombie View Post
There's a chance this project will suffer the same fate as Russia Tower! But i'm an optimist. Hopefully they'll build it (and Russia Tower too).
I am more optimistic Chicagospire will come alife some day.If I may ask, how are you sure the Russian Tower will be built?
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #9104
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=42,8,...WDVirdcQb6lkTn

They talk about the Spire and the Old Post Office in the Oct. 19th business segment of Chicago Tonight. They start talking about it at 6m05s in.
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #9105
Moby_

Likes (Received): 5

the economy is slowly recovering in aisa and in europe, when the economy realy gets going i'm sure the tower will be build
Moby_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:43 AM   #9106
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyguy View Post
When will the property market recover in the United States? I live in Sydney, Australia and the commercial and residential property markets are showing signs of recovery and interest rates are going up again.

Why can't Barack Obama send some stimulus money and declare this a project of national significance and get it built. After all it is his home town.

The longer we wait the greater the chance that this will be cancelled. That would be very depressing news.
Property market is recovering, just slowly (as it is supposed to be, or it would probably create a new bubble).

Barack Obama will not send "some stimulus money" because:

1- The stimulus money is used to inject it in key aspects of the infrastructure (bridges, railways, highways, high-speed internet) as well as energy issues (construction of smart grid, implementation of renewable energy).

2- The money is assigned to projects based on state and regional needs through a scale of importance for the local economy/infrastructure and needs of the local communities.

3- The Spire does not fulfill eather point 1 or 2: it would simply be goverment spending (therefore money gathered with taxes that the population pays) to finance a luxury condo skyscraper for millionaires.

Please tell me you see what is wrong in my last phrase or it would be useless to continue this discussion...
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:18 AM   #9107
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post

1- The stimulus money is used to inject it in key aspects of the infrastructure (bridges, railways, highways, high-speed internet) as well as energy issues (construction of smart grid, implementation of renewable energy).

2- The money is assigned to projects based on state and regional needs through a scale of importance for the local economy/infrastructure and needs of the local communities.

3- The Spire does not fulfill eather point 1 or 2: it would simply be goverment spending (therefore money gathered with taxes that the population pays) to finance a luxury condo skyscraper for millionaires.

Please tell me you see what is wrong in my last phrase or it would be useless to continue this discussion...
You sure have a lot more faith in goverment man most people do. You very eloquently described how the money was supposed to be spent. While I agree some of it is being spent in this way much of it is being spent the same way Congress always spends money, on pork barrel projects! Projects that only do good for politically connected portions of the population instead of for the general good. I have seen many examples of that locally as I'm sure many people have. Spending so the stimulus funds on the Spire would be a lot better use of the funds than many of them.
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:24 AM   #9108
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=42,8,...WDVirdcQb6lkTn

They talk about the Spire and the Old Post Office in the Oct. 19th business segment of Chicago Tonight. They start talking about it at 6m05s in.
For anyone who doesn't want to sit through 6 minutes of random economic talk (and there's no seek button that I can see on the vid), it's nothing new. She just summarizes what we all already know - liens, evictions, etc but kelleher insists it's still moving forward.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:45 PM   #9109
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by xombie View Post
Russia Tower is cancelled.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:50 PM   #9110
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
Property market is recovering, just slowly (as it is supposed to be, or it would probably create a new bubble).

And considering that the United States is now almost $12,000,000,000,000.00
in debt and our illegal president has no money to put forth to erect this giant 2000ft. tall glass dick, I would be extremely surprised if they built this.
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM   #9111
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
And considering that the United States is now almost $12,000,000,000,000.00
in debt and our illegal president has no money to put forth to erect this giant 2000ft. tall glass dick, I would be extremely surprised if they built this.
First: our president is not illegal. If he was, he wouldn't be president.
Second: stop trolling and going off-topic.
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:00 PM   #9112
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
our illegal president
I'm always gobsmacked when someone actually admits to other people that they are a birther.

You've seen the birth certificate, you've seen local news clippings from Hawaii mentioning his birth, what more do you want?

You lost, get over it.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM   #9113
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
You sure have a lot more faith in goverment man most people do. You very eloquently described how the money was supposed to be spent. While I agree some of it is being spent in this way much of it is being spent the same way Congress always spends money, on pork barrel projects! Projects that only do good for politically connected portions of the population instead of for the general good. I have seen many examples of that locally as I'm sure many people have. Spending so the stimulus funds on the Spire would be a lot better use of the funds than many of them.
OT

Not some of it, most of it. You can just read the bill (there should be a full version of it on internet, maybe also in the library of Congress database (as well as the archives). Read it, and you know exactly the amount spent in pork barrel (that is, single projects that have not gone through the "normal" bid process, maybe a project promised by a local authority to a community or part of electors to make them happy and therefore not going through the normal selection process but by "convincing the congressman of the state to insert it in the bill).

Yours is useless speculation: read the entire bill (just a couple hundred pages, nothing prohibitive) and comment the facts. The rest are just suppositions.
End OT

As for the financing of the tower, it will be built or not based on the need for it: if there is not a market for it, you will be sure it wont be built (unless there is unnecessary political/personal intervention). If there is (or will be) it will be built when the time is right. There has to be an economically viable solution, not building something because "it is iconic" or "looks good in the skyline".
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:18 PM   #9114
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
First: our president is not illegal. If he was, he wouldn't be president.
Second: stop trolling and going off-topic.
Oh, boo ******* hoo if your a Obama supporting communist, but he was born in Kenya. And he isn't the president. We currently don't have a president. He has 37 lawsuits against him currently, but he is a millionaire and is doing all that he can to shut them up. That is why you don't hear about this on Communist News Network (CNN) or Faux (Fox) News both of which are supported and owned by Rupert Murdoch who supports Obama.
And to your second woe, I was not trolling, just simply responding to above comments as to why Obama doesn't put any money in to this building.Not that we have any money anyway.
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:25 PM   #9115
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC1987 View Post
I'm always gobsmacked when someone actually admits to other people that they are a birther.

You've seen the birth certificate, you've seen local news clippings from Hawaii mentioning his birth, what more do you want?

You lost, get over it.
Bullshit. You have been goaded into believing the media. He was born in Kenya and holds duel citizenship which means that he can't be president. Go learn somthing for real that you didn't get off the news. The birth cirtificate is fake.So actually try finding real information before you speak you clueless blowhard. Oh and you lost? Damn right I lost! With him as president everybody loses. I would then infer that you think I am some kind of bitter republican, but you would be wrong. McCain is just as bad. Democrat=Republican light. They are both communists. And I don't give a shit if you think I am trolling. The truth must be told.
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:29 PM   #9116
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Bullshit. You have been goaded into believing the media. He was born in Kenya and holds duel citizenship which means that he can't be president. Go learn somthing for real that you didn't get off the news. The birth cirtificate is fake.So actually try learning something before you speak you clueless blowhard. Oh and you lost? Damn right I lost! With him as president everybody loses
Are you a close relative of the president?How come you know much about him that anybody else?
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:55 PM   #9117
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsofthecity View Post
Are you a close relative of the president?How come you know much about him that anybody else?
Because I pay attenion and actually read not-slanted news.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:53 AM   #9118
Birdboy08
Chicago!

Likes (Received): 0

Since when did this become a debate over whether or not the POTUS is a native to the U.S. or not? Seriously? This is a dumb question in itself (he is. NO DEBATE). Get back on topic, please.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:11 AM   #9119
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Bullshit. You have been goaded into believing the media. He was born in Kenya and holds duel citizenship which means that he can't be president. Go learn somthing for real that you didn't get off the news. The birth cirtificate is fake.So actually try finding real information before you speak you clueless blowhard. Oh and you lost? Damn right I lost! With him as president everybody loses. I would then infer that you think I am some kind of bitter republican, but you would be wrong. McCain is just as bad. Democrat=Republican light. They are both communists. And I don't give a shit if you think I am trolling. The truth must be told.
I suggest you leave the country then for you will be brainwashed by "communist" ideals if you continue to stay in the US who apparently, in your view, is run by communists.

As for the stimulus money going into this project? Umm no thanks. I'm willing to give my tax payer money for a tower that only millionaires can afford. It doesn't benefit the people of Chicago except for compromising a few people's ego, and it's definitely not worth any of the benefits to the country

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:15 AM   #9120
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Oh, boo ******* hoo if your a Obama supporting communist, but he was born in Kenya. And he isn't the president. We currently don't have a president. He has 37 lawsuits against him currently, but he is a millionaire and is doing all that he can to shut them up. That is why you don't hear about this on Communist News Network (CNN) or Faux (Fox) News both of which are supported and owned by Rupert Murdoch who supports Obama.
And to your second woe, I was not trolling, just simply responding to above comments as to why Obama doesn't put any money in to this building.Not that we have any money anyway.
Awwwww, isn't da wittle baby troll so cute!!!? Maybe when he grows up, he'll go troll political forums. As opposed to, you know, skyscraper forums. where nobody cares...

I won't even bother refuting your silly conspiracy theories, the mere fact that you believe in them so strongly is just adorable! Go cuddle up with your Glen Beck doll if us mean architecture enthusiasts laugh at you, nobody will judge.

On a more on-topic note, if this building is built, Chicago will most certainly have one of the most eclectic skylines in the US. The amount of different cladding styles is crazy, and a little disconcerting when viewed from the air. But from street level, it makes a very exhilarating impression!
-The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.

-Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life (1923)
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower