daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2009, 04:27 AM   #9201
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

@dnobsemajdnob: keep it on topic please
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:17 AM   #9202
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

I just got an e-mail from a friend in Chicago. He says everyone is full of hope and praying this project will commence again soon.
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:42 AM   #9203
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Bud View Post
I just got an e-mail from a friend in Chicago. He says everyone is full of hope and praying this project will commence again soon.
I hear they're temporarily rescinding separation of church and state, in Chicago, to get this built.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:58 AM   #9204
eagleguy

Likes (Received): 44

Great news..........
eagleguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:07 AM   #9205
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Lmao...you don't anything better to do, huh? What a boring life you must live. Get a new hobby already.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:08 AM   #9206
sasa_taisa
Hardcore Gamer

Likes (Received): 177

this thread is full of lol.

seriously guys, american humor>everything

But honestly, i hope this project begins soon. I really want that spire in chicaco's skyline!
sasa_taisa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:17 AM   #9207
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasa_taisa View Post
this thread is full of lol.

seriously guys, american humor>everything

But honestly, i hope this project begins soon. I really want that spire in chicaco's skyline!
I want to see the Spire begin because I want to see a lot of disappointed people on this forum.
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:27 AM   #9208
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

dnobsemajdnob, I recently asked you to stop the offtopic stuff. Please stop. I'm mercyful at this moment but the other moderators are probably not.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:29 AM   #9209
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

This building was 40% sold awhile back so it's not the wild "pie in the sky" speculative deal that some are pretending it is.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:46 AM   #9210
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
This building was 40% sold awhile back so it's not the wild "pie in the sky" speculative deal that some are pretending it is.
Those sales probably represent ~$500 million in sales. So it is impressive. But we don't know how many cancelled their deposits in the last year. Hopefully not many, but with this economy, many could've.

Kelleher really needs construction to resume so he can boost sales and hold onto his existing ones.

One guy who won't be happy if this project goes forward is Donald Trump. There go a lot of potential sales at his own Chicago tower.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:20 AM   #9211
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/Spire.l...2.1341879.html
Quote:
"If the Spire, with its planned multi-million-dollar condos, is never built, the unions have a fallback plan. That would be a downsized project of two condo buildings of 25 to 30 stories each. That's not as grandiose, but would still mean a lot of jobs."
Looks like the unions back up plan are some pint sized condos, meaning the Spire is the sole big cheese. It's all or nothing for the unions.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM   #9212
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
What is the timeline for construction (how long will it take to build) if and when construction resumes? By the time it is finished, we could be out of the recession.

In Baltimore, the Ritz Carlton completed its first ever condo project about a year ago. There were about 60 units out of 193 pre-sold, but of that number, over half failed to close, and only 23 have actually been finalized. But in a promising development, about 2 weeks ago, author Tom Clancy bought 3 penthouses, which Ritz combined for him, for a staggering (for Baltimore) 12+ million. So this is a sign things could be looking up. If it can happen in Baltimore, it should happen in Chicago.
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:59 AM   #9213
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
dnobsemajdnob, I recently asked you to stop the offtopic stuff. Please stop. I'm mercyful at this moment but the other moderators are probably not.
THANK YOU!!!

I hope they will work out and build the Spires soon!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:13 AM   #9214
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 6

Why has this thread been moved to the general under-supertall area? Last I checked it was still on hold?
-The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.

-Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life (1923)
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:12 PM   #9215
Prinz Eugen

Likes (Received): 59

this is THE project
Prinz Eugen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM   #9216
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiki24 View Post
Why has this thread been moved to the general under-supertall area? Last I checked it was still on hold?
Because there are other "On Hold" buildings in the general supertall section and it looks like this one is going forward, AND SOMEONE JUST MOVED IT BACK TO THE PROPOSAL SECTION!
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM   #9217
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobsemajdnob View Post
This belongs in the proposed section. When an entity actually provides a significant amount of construction financing (as opposed to the news that a union would provide a marginal amount to let Kelleher pay off liens), and crews appear on site daily, and it's confirmed that this tower --not a 500 foot tower -- will rise, then it should be moved.

PS: Please don't attack me for being realistic or is participation in this thread reserved only for those who believe in Santa Claus?
^ Mods ? There he goes again.
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:36 PM   #9218
shaberko

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
This belongs in the proposed section. When an entity actually provides a significant amount of construction financing (as opposed to the news that a union would provide a marginal amount to let Kelleher pay off liens), and crews appear on site daily, and it's confirmed that this tower --not a 500 foot tower -- will rise, then it should be moved.

PS: Please don't attack me for being realistic or is participation in this thread reserved only for those who believe in Santa Claus?

Why should it be "proposed," when millions of dollars worth of construction has already been done on the foundation. It is "on hold."

Last edited by shaberko; December 1st, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
shaberko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM   #9219
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaberko View Post
Whey should it be "proposed," when millions of dollars worth of construction has already been done on the foundation. It is "on hold."
I don't understand the big hang up on it being in "proposed". Obviously this isn't a proposal. It was u/c but not much work got completed before work halted. Unlike some other "on hold" towers, such as Al Attar Tower, which has had significant construction work completed before it has gone on hold. Since Al Attar is well over half finished, it should stay in the U/C forum.

"Proposed" section is just a hodgepodge collection of Proposals, Approved, Demolition stage, and Prep. When this one goes back to full blown "under construction", then it should be moved to the U/C forum.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:09 PM   #9220
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
It should be proposed because we don't know if it will ever be built. Clearly, something will be built there, but it's not clear that this proposal will or am I not allowed to say that?
Well there aren't any other plans for the site....so it’s not even a question of right now.

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower