daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2009, 12:25 AM   #9381
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

I can only guess as to why Kelleher refuses to make it "official" that the project is dead. Perhaps there are strong legal and financial incentives to putting on the charade, but I think he's played his last chip. He's busted. With the failure to get backing from the union pension funds there is no hope left.

But, regarding making it "official": This is the frustrating thing about these big private real estate projects. No one ever holds a press conference to pull the plug. The projects just slowly wither, remain on life support for years, and die with a whimper. Same thing with Waterview. Everyone knows it's dead, it's even marked "cancelled" here. But no one has officially announced it; we just have to assume it based on the developer's actions.

We're unlikely to see this kind of risky speculation in real estate again for decades. But there really ought to be a law that a developer can not start above-ground construction - blocking public streets and sidewalks and creating a (hopefully temporary) eyesore - unless they have sufficient funding secured to complete the project.

It could be said that we lucked out with the Spire. Imagine if it had been started a year earlier and halted when the core was 20 stories tall. It would have marred the lakefront view for years with an ugly 20-story concrete silo pocked with holes and rusting rebar. Imagine if Trump started construction in a similar manner - without full funding in place - and started just a little later. We might have had a half-completed Trump Tower on one of the most prominent sites along the main branch of the Chicago River.

Yes, we lucked out with the Spire. The site is clean, the hole can be filled, the land sodded over as a temporary park, and the whole embarrassing failure can be as easily wiped away as the "We Back the Bid" posters that disappeared from all around the city mere hours after the Copenhagen debacle.

Last edited by DFDalton; December 31st, 2009 at 01:02 AM.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:50 PM   #9382
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Dec 31

From above

higer res 2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

Rabbit tracks

top of a secant beam pokes through the snow.

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa - Autostitch - Photomatix HDR

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:59 PM   #9383
spiller9

Likes (Received): 10

it is a real shame that this project has come to this. i visit chicago from overseas regularly (here atm) and had hoped to see this take shape in the years to come
spiller9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 09:49 PM   #9384
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

Looks like a rocket launch site! Is this the new US missile defence system?
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM   #9385
GeorgeGriffiths
Sheffield Wednesday

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotam View Post
I dont get you guys. this building is one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen and it's going to destroy Chicago's beautiful skyline!
No it isn't, it's going to be the best building in Chicago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotam View Post
I'll give you one from the Chicago-
Sears Tower. simple and beautiful.
and another one out of the new age-
International Finance Tower in Hong Kong.
The Sears - sorry, Willis - Tower is ugly. So is Aon. So is the John Hancock. This and Trump will certainly help Chicago's ugly skyline.
GeorgeGriffiths no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM   #9386
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeGriffiths View Post

The Sears - sorry, Willis - Tower is ugly. So is Aon. So is the John Hancock. This and Trump will certainly help Chicago's ugly skyline.
You take that back. Especially Hancock.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 09:15 PM   #9387
mr impossible

Likes (Received): 9

This might as well be cancelled.
No news at all!

ANARA WHAT COULD OF BEEN THE MOST AWESOME BUILDING EVER.
mr impossible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 09:42 PM   #9388
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr impossible View Post
This might as well be cancelled.
No news at all!
It wouldn't be fully built right now if there were news because the credit market is bad, so what's the point of your post?
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:22 PM   #9389
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Asia has skyscrapers popping up like mushrooms, yet the US now only has one supertall currently under construction (1WTC). I'm starting to get jealous...
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:13 PM   #9390
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

and europe?

Holland doesnt even HAVE a supertall..
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:34 PM   #9391
spiller9

Likes (Received): 10

Griffiths, you are WAY off the mark, especially considering Chicago's skyline is widely considered the world's best skyline. Willis isnt fantastic but it dominates so it doesnt need to be, AON is spectacular when lit up at night, as for the John Hancock, its in a league of its own, IMO its the most distinguishable skyscraper ever built. Better than the proposed spire, freedom tower and so on.
spiller9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:40 PM   #9392
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Quote:

Dude, wtf are you talking about.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:42 PM   #9393
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2613

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNameTag View Post
Asia has skyscrapers popping up like mushrooms, yet the US now only has one supertall currently under construction (1WTC). I'm starting to get jealous...
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=776476
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 11:41 PM   #9394
Yorkshire Boy
─ ★★★★★ ─

Likes (Received): 604

Quote:

I can't believe a fellow Yorkshire man said that! Shame on you! You are banished from this great county!

On behalf of all Yorkshire people, I apologise!
Yorkshire Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:13 AM   #9395
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Patience young grasshopper, projects will come.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:34 PM   #9396
fillmein05

Likes (Received): 0

Jan 1, 2010

fillmein05 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #9397
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillmein05 View Post
Jan 1, 2010

...that building in the background by the highway must be where Harry takes his pictures from! It's the first time I've seen it.
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #9398
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Might be stupid, but it's true. Not to worry, the US has a few in the pipeline.
That's what I'm hoping. I mean, we can't even get the funding for one 2000 ft structure wheras China gets:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=410003
^That

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=517647
^That

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=391698
^This

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=558031
^And that

Considering how I never see towers going on hold there, I expect all of those to actually get built, plus lets not forget all the towers going up/about to go up in South Korea and the Mid-East (although Dubai has been feeling the hurt of the "global" financial crisis as bad as the US).

I can feel the power/value of the American dollar decreasing year by year as the global financial markets turn their backs on America. It's friggin scary!
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #9399
stefano1895

Likes (Received): 9

wow i like the design
stefano1895 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #9400
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping. I mean, we can't even get the funding for one 2000 ft structure wheras China gets:

Considering how I never see towers going on hold there, I expect all of those to actually get built, plus lets not forget all the towers going up/about to go up in South Korea and the Mid-East (although Dubai has been feeling the hurt of the "global" financial crisis as bad as the US).

I can feel the power/value of the American dollar decreasing year by year as the global financial markets turn their backs on America. It's friggin scary!
Your missing one extremely important thing in all of that and thats supertalls dont make a city. Americas cities dont need one more supertall to still be the greatest in the world. In boston we have nothing even close to a supertall and its still an extremely vibrant energetic and a great city. Dont forget also that america is still building lots and lots of 500 footers and up. Many buildings in nyc that are 5x smaller than the burj dubai still have a lot more square footage inside than the burj. No pun intended a supertall is a facade. I love them and all but its far more important for cities to have density before a supertall. Dont forget that the main reason america doesnt want to build many new supertalls is because there are people that are hell bent on knocking them down, so we just accomplish the same thing with a smaller building.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower