daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #9401
fillmein05

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
...that building in the background by the highway must be where Harry takes his pictures from! It's the first time I've seen it.
Yes, that's where Harry C takes his photos. I been there for a few rooftop parties during the summers and it's awesome.
fillmein05 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #9402
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
Your missing one extremely important thing in all of that and thats supertalls dont make a city. Americas cities dont need one more supertall to still be the greatest in the world. In boston we have nothing even close to a supertall and its still an extremely vibrant energetic and a great city. Dont forget also that america is still building lots and lots of 500 footers and up. Many buildings in nyc that are 5x smaller than the burj dubai still have a lot more square footage inside than the burj. No pun intended a supertall is a facade. I love them and all but its far more important for cities to have density before a supertall. Dont forget that the main reason america doesnt want to build many new supertalls is because there are people that are hell bent on knocking them down, so we just accomplish the same thing with a smaller building.
Well we were out of the world's tallest building race a long time ago, it's not like that title is coming back any time soon. And you’re right that a single building doesn’t make a city. But there will be more supertalls in the future as the nation continues to grow. People just need to have some patience, the economy killed a lot of stuff and is not going to fully recover for a few more years. I certainly don't expect China and Dubai to keep building supertalls forever either, for both of them supertalls are eventually going to become to expensive to build. Right now there may be many but in the future there will probably be far fewer. We have some great projects still going right now too, like Freedom Tower and Beekman in New York. I'm pretty sure those projects are more exciting than what 85% of the rest of the world has going on right now.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #9403
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

I guarantee you Dubai is pretty much done with supertalls. The ones that are started may or may not get finished, but don't expect anything new from them for a while.

I'm thinking that when the US gets back to building supertalls China's real estate bubble will have burst and we'll be the only ones building.
Old January 5th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #9404
leogodoy

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
I guarantee you Dubai is pretty much done with supertalls. The ones that are started may or may not get finished, but don't expect anything new from them for a while.

I'm thinking that when the US gets back to building supertalls China's real estate bubble will have burst and we'll be the only ones building.
Don't rule out India and Brazil.
leogodoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #9405
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Thanks again for the interesting information.............

Cut the crap and keep it on topic. China en it's construction, very interesting but not related to this topic. Also people who can't resist to react on some replies over here. I'm getting so tired of this and you know what, anyone who crosses the line again in this topic will get a brig right away and won't be warned. Consider this as your warning.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #9406
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Dubai Has Tallest Tower; Chicago Has Hole
City's Spire Project Languishes, While UAE Celebrates Its Burj Khalifa Reporting
Jay Levine CHICAGO (CBS)
The Chicago Spire project has been stalled for months; this hole and foundation is all that has been completed.

It's now officially the world's tallest building. But while Dubai's Burj Khalifa, soaring half a mile high, towers over the United Arab Emirates, it was conceived right here in Chicago.

And the irony is that Chicago's own record-breaking effort – the Chicago Spire -- lies all but abandoned.

The Windy City built the first so-called skyscraper in 1885. The Home Insurance Building soared 138 feet tall. It's long gone now, demolished to make way for the LaSalle Bank Building.

After that, we often owned building bragging rights, with the Sears Tower the tallest in the world until 1998.

While there's a Chicago connection to the current record-holder, our own projects just can't seem to get off the ground.

All that's here now of the Spire project is the foundation for a 2,000-foot-tall twister, which would tower over the Willis and Trump towers. It's now just a hole, while Chicago architects and engineers celebrate their shining star in the desert.

"It came into our office in March 2003," Jim Pawlikowski of Chicago's world-renowned Skidmore Owings Merrill said. "So it's been here for quite a while, and at its peak, we had 90 people working on it."

Pawlikowski was the senior structural engineer on the Burj project, factoring in desert heat, wind and sand on a structure which would grow to 2,717 feet.

"You have a Chicago architecture firm doing this massive work on the other side of the globe," Lee Bey, executive director of the Chicago Central Area Committee, said. "And here in our own backyard, our own tall project seems to be stalled for now."

The Spire was introduced with great fanfare, sailed through the approval process, but fell victim to the recession. Work stopped. Lawsuits were filed. The only hope appeared to be a union bailout to put their members back to work.

Despite recent published reports that union pension funds have no interest in breathing new life into the project, the Chicago labor leader trying to play matchmaker isn't giving up.

"I talked to people this morning, and the jury is still out," Tom Villanova, who heads the Chicago and Cook County Building and Construction Trades Council, said. "We have up to 30 percent unemployment in some of our locals, so this is a light at the end of the tunnel."

Unlike the Burj, which had a sheik named Khalifa ante up when the project ran into trouble, the Spire has no sugar daddy to pull it out of this hole. And they haven't sold enough condos to attract one.

Bey said these factors need to be addressed: "Can you find the money now? Can you hold onto it now long enough so that all those pieces still stay in place by the time the tower is complete?"

"Will the Spire ever get built?" we asked Pawlikowski.

"That's a good question," he said. "It has already built the foundation and that's a large investment in the building. So I wouldn't say it wouldn't get built. Everything's possible."

The developers of the Spire weren't available for comment. City officials say their permit is not open-ended and that they must make substantial progress before it expires.

There's still time. But at this rate, it doesn't look good.

(© MMX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by desertpunk; January 6th, 2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: remove oddments
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #9407
Onn
BANNED

Well it doesn’t make sense that their building the world tallest building in a place where it's much less likely to succeed financially than in many other places in the world. But you have to realize that here one person invented the skyscraper, over there it's supported by the government. If our government supported skyscrapers everyone would live in them. I'm rather dumbfounded how there's money for a building like Burj Dubai and not for the Spire, however. I find it hard to belief that no one internationally wants to fund this thing. It is that Kelleher hasn't looked or there's just no support for it? You could use the argument that Chicago has too much new residential space already. But at the same time the Spire is far from your ordinary building. If it had some legs I think it would be a big draw for people all over the world in a city like Chicago.
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #9408
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

This from the article on the previous page whihc I think sums it up very nicely.

"Unlike the Burj, which had a sheik named Khalifa ante up when the project ran into trouble, the Spire has no sugar daddy to pull it out of this hole. And they haven't sold enough condos to attract one. "

I think the Spire was a product of a real estate market that no longer exists. The prices they can get for the condos no longer support the construction cost of the building.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #9409
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

The End.
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #9410
vano-2005

Likes (Received): 32

America can't build skyscraper - ha-ha! Dubai rulez!
vano-2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #9411
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
This from the article on the previous page whihc I think sums it up very nicely.

"Unlike the Burj, which had a sheik named Khalifa ante up when the project ran into trouble, the Spire has no sugar daddy to pull it out of this hole. And they haven't sold enough condos to attract one. "

I think the Spire was a product of a real estate market that no longer exists. The prices they can get for the condos no longer support the construction cost of the building.
Yeah, but there are other supertalls going up around the world still. People around the world will buy into the Spire, it's a 2,000 foot Calatrava designed all residential tower. On top of that, the US has more billionaires than any other country in the world. The buying money is most certainly there, someone just needs to step up and give some money. What about Samsung? They funded the Burj and their funding another 2000 foot+ tower in Seoul. You know, I wonder where their biggest market is for electronics?

I'm not saying the Spire's dead, because I still don't think it is. I'm just angry nothing is coming sooner. Perhaps someone else will pick up the project.
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #9412
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2618

Why can't it be mixed use?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #9413
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Why can't it be mixed use?
Whats the commerical vacancy rates like in Chicago?
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #9414
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle View Post
Whats the commerical vacancy rates like in Chicago?
Hard to say since so much has happened since the height of the property bubble. In 2007 and 2008 the vacancy levels in Chicago were the lowest since 2000, but since the recession hit they've gone up again. The data is a little misleading however, there's a difference between office space and modern office space; which is what most large businesses would probably seek today. Futhermore I don't see any data since March 2009.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=33487
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #9415
Vanzetti
go away

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vano-2005 View Post
"Can`t" and "don`t want" are not the same thing at all.

Somalia can`t build skyscrapers. USA certainly can.
Vanzetti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #9416
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Jan 07

From above

higer res 2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

Ice in the hole

Ice on the river

No ice on the ramp (used for access to the bridge which is being worked on).

Sledding hills.

Keeping the Ice off the grass

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa- Autostitch - Photomatix HDR

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #9417
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by vano-2005 View Post
get your trolling ass out of this forum and into a history book
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #9418
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Calm down, I brigged the guy. If anyone wants to be brigged too please step forward now
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #9419
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Was it snowing as you were taking those pictures Harry?
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:40 AM   #9420
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
Was it snowing as you were taking those pictures Harry?
Yes - and as I headed back to work the sky was dark with a heavier snow. I'm glad I take mainly lower level streets.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower