daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #9481
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

I don't think they are slaves. A slave is somobody who was taken away and made to work without pay. I mean we did it against people's wish. So to call people who come on their own and get paid (yes I know it is low wage but still paid) more than they would get in their own country isn't exactly slavery.

Yes they should be treated better and have more rights, but to call them slaves isn't describing the situation. Washington DC on the other hand was built by slaves. Dubai was built by courageous men who are willing to put up with around $2 a day so they can send home. I am not sure that defines slavery. Cheap labour... yes. Slavery... not quite.

Correct me if am wrong.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #9482
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby_ View Post
thanks again for the pictures harry. realy alot of ice in the hole now, must be a record.

btw, that lakeshore drive isn't very pretty, is there any plans to put it in a tunnel or something?
Actually it looks much better in most places that it does here. Most of the way it is at grade instead of elevated its only elevated here because of the bridge. There is certainly no plans to put it in a tunnel, after the disaster with the "Big Dig" in Boston I don't see anything like that will ever be done again.
Old January 18th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #9483
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Actually it looks much better in most places that it does here. Most of the way it is at grade instead of elevated its only elevated here because of the bridge. There is certainly no plans to put it in a tunnel, after the disaster with the "Big Dig" in Boston I don't see anything like that will ever be done again.
Big Dig disaster didn't stop Seattle at all. Seattle is going to have "Little Dig" to replace Alaskan Viaduct (elevated highway on Seattle waterfront).Construction expected to begin next year and be completed in around 2015. I heard Portland, Oregon is considering to do "Big Dig" to bury all downtown freeways as well. I think Chicago might consider that someday. Who knows?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #9484
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
The worst issue with The Big Dig was the subterranean water that seeped into everything and drove constuction costs to astronomical levels. Chicago has the same problem. There are numerous tunnels beneath the Loop and serious flooding has ocurred. To do a Big Dig so close to that mess would be foolish. Seattle has seismic issues as does Portland, to go with the nearby water. They went with the best political option, not the best engineering one.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #9485
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
Washington DC on the other hand was built by slaves. Dubai was built by courageous men who are willing to put up with around $2 a day so they can send home. I am not sure that defines slavery. Cheap labour... yes. Slavery... not quite.
Correct me if am wrong.
Parts of DC were built by slaves including the WH and Capitol. However in 1865 the population was around 75k where later at its peak it was near 800k so clearly most of the city was not built by slavery.

I would say indentured servitude qualifies for Dubai. Many owed a nearly a years wages for the processing and tickets just to get them to Dubai. Then when there many had paychecks and passports withheld, salary terms decreased, and put in awful work/housing conditions. Anyway, this isn't about that building so talk should continue on about the CS.
Old January 18th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #9486
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
The worst issue with The Big Dig was the subterranean water that seeped into everything and drove constuction costs to astronomical levels. Chicago has the same problem. There are numerous tunnels beneath the Loop and serious flooding has ocurred. To do a Big Dig so close to that mess would be foolish. Seattle has seismic issues as does Portland, to go with the nearby water. They went with the best political option, not the best engineering one.
Other problems included poor supervision of the construction, corruption that allowed contractors to use inferior materials to increase their profit margin and politicians and union officials who were always bickering. The biggest problem with any project of the scope is control and that was totally lost in the case of Boston. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like Portland and or Seattle look at the engineering aspects carefully, just the geopolitical ones.
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #9487
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2609

Debating the beauty or non-beauty of the WTC, photoshop thought experiments in hypertall height, labour situations in Dubai and during the construction of Washington DC, Boston's Big Dig and similar projects in Seattle and Portland, gotta love how this page covers pretty much every topic except the Chicago Spire...
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:52 AM   #9488
Moby_

Likes (Received): 5

this is the old picture of the site from wikipedia, taken in '63. I realy don't recignize the place. where would the hole be in this picture, is it in the left on that "peninsula" in the background?
Moby_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:52 AM   #9489
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:

this is the old picture of the site from wikipedia, taken in '63. I realy don't recignize the place. where would the hole be in this picture, is it in the left on that "peninsula" in the background?
Approximately here - thanks for the photo - brings back memories - the billboard was a wild climb

Another view - 1937

and 1941

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic

Last edited by harryc; January 23rd, 2010 at 04:00 AM.
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:19 AM   #9490
CrazyAboutCities

It is amazing to see how much that part of downtown Chicago changed since then.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:32 PM   #9491
Moby_

what I thought was trucks and stuff parked down at the bottom of the '63 picture is actually lot's of railway cars (didn't see it 'cus of the low resolution picture). The area have change dramatically since then marinas, skyscapers and stuff, we even have a big hole
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:47 PM   #9492
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
It is amazing to see how much that part of downtown Chicago changed since then.
Definitely for the better!
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #9493
cowboywill

Likes (Received): 0

still lets build the darn thing
cowboywill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #9494
cowboywill

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywill View Post
still lets build the darn thing
lets get yhis off the ground
cowboywill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #9495
Moby_

well someone need to borrow that kelleher guy some money. If I only had a few hundred million in the bank I might offer him good intrest rates on a loan hehe. We've been staring down this hole for two years now I realy realy want this thing to get build.

There's been so little news from the developers(no news from anyone realy), and I'm asking myself if no news is good news? or if that just means that this project is slowly dying...
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #9496
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
There's been so little news from the developers(no news from anyone realy), and I'm asking myself if no news is good news? or if that just means that this project is slowly dying...
I would think no news is good news, people have been saying the project is slowly dieing for 2 years now. So, you know...you would think it would have died by now. I feel this time next year we will still be here with a hole in the ground and not much news. But I assume once the market recovers they probably will build it.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #9497
adam_uk

Likes (Received): 13

build it.
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #9498
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDleSsWaLtZ View Post
Definitely for the better!
Yes. Only one thing it will get much better when Chicago Spire becomes reality! Still keeping my fingers crossed for this one.
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #9499
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

How much money, per month, does it cost to 'let it sit' Vs. interest on a loan (at today's ridiculously low rates) for the construction?
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #9500
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Jan 28

From above

higer res 2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa - Autostitch - Photomatix HDR

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower