daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #9501
回回
Regi-ser

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Let's keep our fingers crossed that the detailing remains the same as this:

I just noticed, this is like an inverted bay window!
回回 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #9502
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

me too
WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #9503
回回
Regi-ser

It would still work, because you would just view the east from western side of the apartment instead of the eastern side, etc.
Old January 29th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #9504
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

SU,SFU
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM   #9505
Moby_

Likes (Received): 5

If you had the money, where in the spire would you buy a condo? personally I feel that only the 4 bedroom condo has a big enough living room, so I'll go for that one. it's high up too . i would like one with a south east view i think...

where in the tower would you like to live? in what direction would you like to have the condo(north/south view)?
Moby_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:44 PM   #9506
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby_ View Post
If you had the money, where in the spire would you buy a condo? personally I feel that only the 4 bedroom condo has a big enough living room, so I'll go for that one. it's high up too . i would like one with a south east view i think...

where in the tower would you like to live? in what direction would you like to have the condo(north/south view)?
The sweet spot is in the 80s and 90s. low enough to engage the city vibe but high enough to piss on some millionaires!
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:21 PM   #9507
Moby_

didn't think of that. also this tower is so high you might get some low cloud cover spoling the view on the upper floors
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:55 AM   #9508
回回
Regi-ser

I can't stand the location, so I would get something in Trump Tower instead! The floor plans remind me of Marina City. It is like a modern version of it, but with one building instead of two!
Old February 4th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #9509
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

"Spire affiliate reports big loss linked to stalled tower
By Eddie Baeb and Thomas A. Corfman, Feb. 03, 2010

Crain's) — A Dublin-based affiliate of Chicago Spire developer Garrett Kelleher reported a $207.6-million annual loss, much of which is attributed to the stalled Spire project.

Clarinabbey Ltd. says in an annual financial report filed last week in Ireland that the company took a loss provision against loans made to other companies led by Mr. Kelleher – including one that’s been a major financing vehicle for the Spire. Clarinabbey says the provision stems from “uncertainty associated with the recoverability of amounts owed by group companies.”

Financial results were reported in Euros and converted to U.S. dollars.

The Spire project, a twisting, 1,194-unit condominium tower at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive that would have been the tallest building in the United States, may account for at least $135 million of the $197.7-million loss provision, based on a previous filing by Shelbourne Finance Ltd., which is the entity pegged to the provision in Clarinabbey’s filing. "

the rest of the article is below,

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=36979
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #9510
Moby_

I guess he regrets starting constrution before he got financing now. And the recovery has been going on for a while now, those damn bank should lend some money
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #9511
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Pulled from http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3428329.story
Quote:
Stalled Spire hurts developer back home

By Mary Ellen Podmolik, Tribune reporter
February 4, 2010

Chicago Spire developer Garrett Kelleher's effort to build the nation's tallest building in Chicago is threatening the viability of one of his Ireland-based firms.

Clarinabbey Ltd., a subsidiary of Kelleher's Shelbourne Property Group, lost $197.2 million for the year ended March 31, with much of the loss tied to an intracompany transfer of funds for the Spire. It compares with a loss of almost $11.4 million in March 2008.

The company said it made a provision of $187.8 million against money due it from sister companies because it was unsure that those funds would be recovered. That sum includes advances and loans made in 2008 totaling $153.4 million to Shelbourne entities associated with the Spire.

The annual financial accounting of the company was released Jan. 28 in Ireland.

The report said most of the covenants tied to the company's bank loans are "technically in breach" and that Kelleher and other directors are seeking a "standstill agreement" with its banks. Those lenders include Anglo Irish Bank Corp. Ltd., the Royal Bank of Scotland and Bank of Scotland Ltd.

If such an agreement cannot be reached, the directors' report submitted with the financial statements said "there exists a fundamental uncertainty over the company's ability to meet its obligations as and when they fall due."

Work on the Spire has been stalled for more than a year. In August, Bank of America Corp. sued Shelbourne Development Group and Kelleher, accusing the developer of defaulting on a loan and saying $4.9 million was due. Shelbourne since has countersued the bank.

Meanwhile, Shelbourne continues to seek alternative sources of financing to raise its Santiago Calatrava-designed twisting skyscraper from the hole in the ground at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive. Late last year, the company was seeking investment from the pension funds of construction trades unions whose members would directly benefit from the project.

Those discussions have yielded no agreements and ULLICO Inc., a labor-owned insurance and financial services firms with $5.4 billion in assets under management, turned down Shelbourne, confirmed Joe Harmening, the project's director of development.

Harmening said the company continues to have conversations with potential investors.

"The status hasn't changed," he said. "The conversations are continuing."
Is he chasing down sunk costs? Tanking one of his subsidiaries to try and keep the project afloat? However much I think we can stick a fork in this, I hope for both Chicago and his business's sake some good news starts trickling in.
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #9512
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Quote:
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....ire-hole-.html

February 10, 2010
Round two: Filling the Chicago Spire hole

More than 15 months ago, with the real estate market sinking faster than a mobster wearing concrete shoes, this blog asked the pressing question: How would you fill the Chicago Spire hole? And many of you answered, quite memorably: Put Blago in there and fill it with concrete....Would the Children's Museum fit in there?....Put the Obama Presidential Library there (it's the right lettter shape at least).

Now, with the Spire still going nowhere, the Chicago Architectural Club is asking, a tad earnestly: "What to do with the gap? Whether or not the [Spire] is resuscitated, what else can we do with this strategic and highly-charged site? Once the motor of real-estate speculation has stalled, what can we use to propel ourselves, and the discipline, forward?"

The club is running an international ideas competition for the site, which is smartly titled "Mine the Gap." It sounds fun and we all might learn what to do with this embarrassing hole--even if the likely outcome is that the site will continue to sit there forlornly until another developer comes along and plops an undistinguished high-rise on it.

Old February 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #9513
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Feb 11

From above

higer res 2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

Progress frozen

nice blanket of snow on the site

on the park

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa - Autostitch - Photomatix HDR

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #9514
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...34232&page=203

FROM FEBRUARY 2008
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #9515
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...34232&page=353

FROM FEBRUARY 2009

Lots more ice last year...
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #9516
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 22

Okay so outdated questions but...

1) What is the purpose of that rounded hole? Where the crane will go? Cuz if it's the core (elevators, etc.), wouldn't it be a squared/rectangular shape? What are the "rings" for?

2) Is there underground parking to be included?

3) Where is that off-ramp going to? Is it just for this building?
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #9517
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryve View Post
Okay so outdated questions but...

1) What is the purpose of that rounded hole? Where the crane will go? Cuz if it's the core (elevators, etc.), wouldn't it be a squared/rectangular shape? What are the "rings" for?

2) Is there underground parking to be included?

3) Where is that off-ramp going to? Is it just for this building?
1) The rounded hole allows the coffer dam to be built without cross bracing (as shown here at WaterView )

The rings are bracing that holds the coffer dam (metal wall) up against the pressure of the surrounding soil. The core of this building will be round - Same technique was used for OMPW - with a square core in the round hole.

2) Underground parking - 7 floors - the wall for the garage is in place surrounding the entire site down to 70'+

3) The off ramp (and the on ramp on the other side) are solely for the Spire - they will not be connected to East North Water.

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #9518
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Just a question, what is the circumference of that circle in meters? I'm designing a paper model so at least we can have a chicago spire on our desks
WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #9519
iamxeddiex
Wankel

Likes (Received): 307

Some people said it looked like a *****, they're wrong. It looks like a joint to me.
iamxeddiex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #9520
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 893

I passed by the site on Friday, man what could have been.

Of course there are the optimists here who think this project can still be brought back from the dead, but it looks very very unlikely.

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower