daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #9621
Puja Bali
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Don't talk about "The Chicago Spire is dead".
I have an "On-Hold" status on this one.
Puja Bali no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #9622
perilouspete

Likes (Received): 10

In my opinion, this would've/still could be the greatest practical joke in the form of a building that would've/will ever be made. I honestly think that if it were to get built, Chicago will be ridiculed to no end. If it wasn't designed by a renowned architect, and wasn't poised to be "the next new tallest building in America," I highly doubt Chicago would be embracing this like it is. To state the obvious...it would be the world's largest tribute to "marital aids," front and center on Chicago's lakefront. I really think that Chicago can do much, much better than this. I've read all about this building, I've been following it since it was first proposed, and I still don't get it. It just seems like....an awful/clever joke by Santiago Calatrava.
perilouspete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #9623
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

I just wish a better developer would buy this project and get it started up. The market is there but no bank would lend to Kelleher at this stage.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #9624
airmale007
Central Illinoisan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by perilouspete View Post
In my opinion, this would've/still could be the greatest practical joke in the form of a building that would've/will ever be made. I honestly think that if it were to get built, Chicago will be ridiculed to no end. If it wasn't designed by a renowned architect, and wasn't poised to be "the next new tallest building in America," I highly doubt Chicago would be embracing this like it is. To state the obvious...it would be the world's largest tribute to "marital aids," front and center on Chicago's lakefront. I really think that Chicago can do much, much better than this. I've read all about this building, I've been following it since it was first proposed, and I still don't get it. It just seems like....an awful/clever joke by Santiago Calatrava.

Oh hey, it's the tired old "hurrr this building is phallic" statement.
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #9625
Chitowner245

Likes (Received): 0

I hope the waldorf=astoria design ends up getting built on this foundation, although I'm not sure if that's even possible. A smaller design in the 12-1600 ft range would be fine as long as it just gets done. The waldorf=astoria design would just be ridiculous on that lot- a blade of grass rising from the lakefront.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #9626
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

The future of this tower is unbelievably bleak. It's best to just forget about it, and if it comes back to life one day, you'll be all the more pleasantly surprised.
Old May 19th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #9627
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

waldorf-astoria is dead, dude.

Quote:
Oh hey, it's the tired old "hurrr this building is phallic" statement.
+1. if you want to see it that way, every building is phallic. sometimes a building is just a building.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #9628
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

I agree with Puja Bali. Until someone officially says its dead, we should leave it on hold
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #9629
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Things are looking more and more dire. How many canceled/unbuilt supertalls does Chicago have in the last 30 years now? Has to be more than ten. This and the Skyneedle...
Well, that's probably why we have more supertalls than many other cities in the world. Here, supertalls come and they go. Something is bound to get built eventually so no sweat. I'm sure a supertall or 2 or 3, better than the Spire, will we built and a few more will be canceled all before the end of this decade.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #9630
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

I just saw on the news today that there was a contest about what should be done with spire's hole and the main ones they showed were a bunch of different lame ass parks so, I think this building is pretty dead...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #9631
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

I think we can consider this the final nail. The elaborate sales office in the NBC Tower is now closed. They were evicted for not paying rent. Do we really need the silver shovels and Calatrava with a white glove? It's over. This project ought to be moved to the cancelled or "never built" column.

Read the details here:

http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.c...es-office.html
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #9632
perilouspete

Likes (Received): 10

Just sharing my opinion, and likely the opinion of many outside of Chicago if it gets built (maybe more the average joes, not as much the architectural connoisseurs). I know everyone on this site is just gonna write me off as an idiot for thinking that, whatever. I'm sure there are famous buildings you all think are ugly/weird/out of place. This happens to be one of them for me. Like I said, take away the Santiago factor and the insane height and would it be as big of a deal? If it was 1000' and designed by some developer from Dallas, it wouldn't draw the same attention. Point being, many (not all, obviously not on this site) people are willing to accept the shape mainly because of the notoriety that comes along with the building and will give to Chicago. (And please don't take this as an "I'm jealous" rant, I do love Chicago).
perilouspete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #9633
SirAdrian
♥ Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 49

I'm glad if there's clarity. I support closing the thread and letting it drop off the 1st page.
SirAdrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #9634
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I don't think it's weird or ugly, but I always worried it was out-of-place in the skyline, simply because of it's ginormous size. Keeping it 1000' or 1200' feet tall would certainly take away from the OMG factor, but it would fit better into the overall skyline.

That being said, I think Chicago's other supertalls looked a bit out-of-place when they were first built, until other tall buildings were eventually built around them. The Spire site doesn't have many (any?) buildable lots close to it. The east end of LSE does though, and I'm hoping we can get at least one supertall built there someday.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:00 AM   #9635
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

The fat lady has sung.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:34 AM   #9636
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Although I wouldn't close the thread until it is officially dead, I would say the fat lady has left the theater.
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:45 PM   #9637
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

damn drunk punch in the gut on this one. I'll wait for them to say it over before I start throwing dirt
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:21 AM   #9638
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Mine the Gap

http://ctbuh.org/Events/Competitions...B/Default.aspx

What to do with a big hole in the ground? This question was the focus of the 2010 Chicago Prize Competition called MINE THE GAP, an international design ideas competition organized by the Chicago Architecture Club. The competition examined one of the most visible scars left after the collapse of the real estate market in Chicago, being a 70 foot deep and 86 foot wide hole along the Lake Michigan shore that was to have been—and may yet be—the foundation for a spiraling 150-story condominium tower designed by Santiago Calatrava.

The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat acted as supporter of the competition. Also, CTBUH’s executive director Antony Wood served as one of the jurors. The winner was announced on Saturday May 15. The exhibition, which showed the finalists and a cross section of the more than 150 ideas that were submitted from all over the world, was on display at the John David Mooney Foundation in Chicago the week after.

The first prize, and the winner of the $3,500 grand prize, was won by Professor Alex Lehnerer and his team from the University of Illinois at Chicago with the idea to use the hole as a home base for an air balloon carrying a disc shaped swimming pool. The bright yellow color of the balloon reflects the name of the idea: The Second Sun. The surroundings of the hole would be transformed into a beach setting.

Second place went to ‘Return to Paradise’. This idea proposed to give the plot back to nature and allow it to transform itself into a natural landscape, in which the hole serves as an invitation to descend to the center of the earth. Third Prize was won by a project called ‘Lot 400’ which proposed to turn the gap into an exhibition space. Other ideas suggested a temporary cabbage field, a bungee jump facility, solar heated halo of water, water park, a fund raiser wishing well and a supersized lid.

Second place winner: Return to Paradise

Third place winner: Lot400
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:49 AM   #9639
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Didn't they want to build there because it was wasted land. Nature freaks need to move out of the city. I have a idea, build the damn spire. if your not going to do that, fill in the hole before some homeless dude falls in and their family sues.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:04 AM   #9640
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

LOL. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound. Otherwise, how would such whimsical ideas be rewarded? Problem is the coffer dam was intended to be temporary. I doubt it would be safe after a few Chicago winters.

My idea is still best: Tear down the Waterview hulk, pulverize it and use it to fill the hole.
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower