daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #9641
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

From Oct 09. very detailed info about Core, TMD, floor plates, etc.

http://blip.tv/file/2922908/

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #9642
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by perilouspete View Post
Just sharing my opinion, and likely the opinion of many outside of Chicago if it gets built (maybe more the average joes, not as much the architectural connoisseurs). I know everyone on this site is just gonna write me off as an idiot for thinking that, whatever. I'm sure there are famous buildings you all think are ugly/weird/out of place. This happens to be one of them for me. Like I said, take away the Santiago factor and the insane height and would it be as big of a deal? If it was 1000' and designed by some developer from Dallas, it wouldn't draw the same attention. Point being, many (not all, obviously not on this site) people are willing to accept the shape mainly because of the notoriety that comes along with the building and will give to Chicago. (And please don't take this as an "I'm jealous" rant, I do love Chicago).
If a developer from Dallas put together some architectural plan on this level of creativity even for 1000', you can bet there'd be a lot of attention. Just look at all the forum members going ga ga over Aqua or Legacy, and neither of those are that tall (relatively speaking).

That being said, I'm in the camp that every new supertall is out of place, simply by definition. The Eiffel Tower was also really out of place. Significant new buildings always lack a context - it takes time for them integrate into a location.
Old May 29th, 2010, 04:27 AM   #9643
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

Actually I agree with PerilousPete about the Spire seeming out of place. I highly doubt that if it did get built then it would just blend in with everything else over time, the reason being because of its location. Sitting right on the edge of the water and being that tall makes it stick out like a soar thumb and there really wouldn't be any way to cover that up since the river is on one side and the lake is on another. Now if it were built north of the loop probably off Clark or LaSelle then that would make more sense because they could build up around it over time. The only angle it doesn't seem out of place at its proposed location would be if you were riding past it on the lake, other than that it would be huge, out-of-place, and ugly... Imagine riding north or south on LSD and seeing that big Unicorn Horn sticking up out of the lakefront, in my opinion that would be a huge eyesore no matter how unique.

With that being said the building is cool but the location they chose was simply garbage and out-of-place so I guess I'm happy it didn't get built but I wish they changed its location to River North and continued construction. just my two cents
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #9644
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

amazing project
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #9645
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

amazing project
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #9646
DeMaFrost

Location: Too North for Lakeview, too east for Roscoe Village

Random question. If the Spire had gone through without any economic problems, where would we currently be at in the contruction process if you had to guess. I don't really remember the expected completion date, but 2012 seems to be in my head. I am assuming the tower would be clearly visible at this point in the skyline.
DeMaFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #9647
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMaFrost View Post
Random question. If the Spire had gone through without any economic problems, where would we currently be at in the contruction process if you had to guess. I don't really remember the expected completion date, but 2012 seems to be in my head. I am assuming the tower would be clearly visible at this point in the skyline.
It was scheduled for completion in 2014.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #9648
hopesupertallmexico

Likes (Received): 0

Calatrava demanda "coraje" para impulsar grandes proyectos durante la crisis
Por Agencia EFE – 22/06/2010

Río de Janeiro, 22 jun (EFE).- El renombrado arquitecto español Santiago Calatrava demandó hoy "coraje" a las autoridades para que, a pesar de la crisis, impulsen grandes proyectos arquitectónicos que contribuyan a mejorar la calidad de vida y dejen un legado para el futuro.

"No es el momento de replegarse porque la inversión a través de la iniciativa privada haya disminuido; al contrario, se debe fomentar la obra pública de grandes proyectos y tener planteamientos valerosos, visionarios y de futuro", dijo Calatrava en una entrevista con Efe en Río de Janeiro.

Para el arquitecto español, que acaba de presentar en la ciudad brasileña el diseño del Museo del Mañana, lo único que se debe temer en la planificación urbana es "el miedo".

Recordó que durante la Gran Depresión se construyeron en Nueva York obras como el puente George Washington y el Rockefeller Center, entre otros, y lamentó que por causa de la actual crisis se haya detenido su proyecto de la torre Spire de Chicago, que cuando sea retomada, se convertirá en el edificio más alto de Estados Unidos.

"De algún modo lo concluiremos (el edificio), aunque los tiempos no están ahora mismo para pensar que se produzca en muy poco tiempo", admitió.

He says they will finish the tower,even though he doesn't think that would be posible in a short time
hopesupertallmexico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #9649
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Man, until i noticed you gave an executive summary at the end, that was a huge test of my 2 weeks so far of spanish learning! I think I understood maybe like 25% of that.
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #9650
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

^So the Spire will eventually get built?? Can I get a translation please...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #9651
hopesupertallmexico

The renowned Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava sued today "courage" to the authorities so that, despite the crisis, promote great architectural projects that help improve the quality of life and leave a legacy for the future.

"This is no time to retreat because the investment by the private sector has decreased on the contrary, it should encourage large public works projects and approaches have courageous, visionary and future," Calatrava said in an interview with EFE in Rio de Janeiro.

For the Spanish architect, just introduced in the Brazilian city of design of Tomorrow Museum, the only thing to fear in urban planning is "fear."

He recalled that during the Great Depression in New York were built works like the George Washington Bridge and Rockefeller Center, among others, and regretted that because of the current crisis has stopped the project of the Chicago Spire tower, where it is taken up , will become the tallest building in the United States.

"Somehow I conclude (the building), though the times are not now to think that occurs very quickly," he admitted.
hopesupertallmexico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #9652
richardsonhomebuyers

So is this him hoping it is going to be built just like all of us?
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #9653
K.S.A
Jeddah Tower Lover

Likes (Received): 4363

great Spire ...
K.S.A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #9654
jorda

This is my favorite project. Hope it will be done! Greetings from Bulgaria!
Old August 7th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #9655
1Cent
Villager

If the spire gets built I'll feel sorry for Willis tower.
1Cent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #9656
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

Time to lock this thread. There is no news to report.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #9657
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

It makes it in the news every now and than. It still does not mean it will go up any time soon or ever but....

Quote:
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/good...ourne-20100810

The Chicago Spire: Dream, Eyesore or Reality?

Updated: Tuesday, 10 Aug 2010, 8:09 AM CDT

By Corey McPherrin, FOX Chicago News

Chicago - Dramatic, provocative, a real head-turner, but most important: unfinished. Designed by world famous architect Santiago Calatrava at 2,000 feet tall, the 150 story Spire would have dwarfed all of Chicago's iconic sky-scrapers and was destined to become the second tallest building on the planet.

After breaking ground in June of 2007, Shelbourne Development mounted a worldwide sales campaign and reportedly sold 30 percent of the building's nearly 1,200 residential units.

Much of the building's substructure is in place, but the project, facing difficult financial odds to begin with, collided with the worldwide economic malaise, and the Spire's ascent came to a halt before it ever got off the ground.

Five years ago, Donald Trump said “I don't think this is a real project. I think it's a charade.” It looks like Trump may have been right; instead of a glittering addition to our skyline, there is a great big empty hole.

The hole is 76 feet in diameter and more than 80 feet deep and located just north of the river and just west of Lake Shore Drive.

Chicagoans shouldn’t expect the eyesore to change soon. One prominent developer said the Spire coming to fruition is "an impossibility".

But not everybody is quite so pessimistic.

"Some developers are sitting back, waiting for the capital markets to open up; not Shelbourne Development. They are out there moving, moving, moving. As soon as they can secure partial financing, they will be up and running again,” said Gail Spreen of Streeterville Properties.

The Streeterville neighborhood continues to be bullish on the Spire. Spreen, the former president of the Streeterville Organization of Active Residents, believes the key to building the Spire is marketing the building and our city to an international market.

“Chicago is so cheap compared to other parts of the world, so if we can get the rest of the world to kind of see how great Chicago is and to see how great the Spire can be, I think that will pick up the sales market again,” Spreen said.

Kim Metcalfe, a spokesperson for Shelbourne Development, said the project may be on hold, but is very much alive. They intend to find the necessary financing, and she said, it's full-steam ahead.
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #9658
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

I'm now a full blown pessimist. Kim Metcalfe's job is to put a positive spin on things.
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #9659
Chitowner245

Just cancel this project and build the waldorf=astoria design on the foundation, but add 100ft to it- making it 1365ft. That would be superb and would make up for every bit of terrible design and disappointing cancellations through this real estate bust.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM   #9660
paytonc
Pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
The Irish Government is to take control of many developments around the world that were due to be financed by Irish development companies following the collapse of the property market in Ireland and globally into a new asset management agency. Shelbourne developments is one of them. This development is almost certain to be taken over by Irish taxpayers for the agency.
Anglo Irish's foolishness is going to cost Irish taxpayers plenty in the end -- it would be as if, relative to our much larger economy, a single U.S. bank racked up a $3+ TRILLION bail-out bill, or if AIG had been 25X bigger. For all the whining about how big TARP was, Anglo Irish is nearly five times larger! Best not mention the Spire to any Irish taxpayers soon. From a NYT article by Landon Thomas Jr.,
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/01/bu.../01anglo.html:

"While Mr. Mathews and the government may be opposed on how to handle the problem, they agree on how absurd the lending practices at Anglo Irish were.

"Even by the standards of the global banking collapse, Anglo Irish stood out. From a loan book of about 75 billion euros when the government took over in 2009, Anglo Irish says that it has only about 12 billion euros in loans that it classifies as performing. The bank is expected to transfer 36 billion euros in troubled loans to the asset management agency — about half its existing loans.

" 'It was mad — a credit cocaine run,' said Mr. Mathews, his voice rising in frustration...

"It is not just in Ireland that the bank’s aggressive lending stood out. Through its private client division in Boston, Anglo Irish was one of the most wildly eager property lenders in the United States. It financed the construction of skyscrapers in Chicago and shopping centers in Boston, not to mention lending more than $500 million to a series of troubled and in some cases failed real estate projects in New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMaFrost View Post
Have there been any other major buildings in Chicago that have been started and never finished?
Just a few years ago (like your post)...
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...52&postcount=5

And the MarchFirst headquarters-to-be sat as an abandoned reinforced concrete frame at Fulton & Ada for several years. Not sure whatever happened to it, though. Plenty of small condo projects (conversions & new construction) stalled out in marginal neighborhoods in 2009 and have been boarded up -- search the MLS for cheap multifamily buildings and you'll probably find them.

MarchFirst site photo:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where1...0607&encType=1

Last edited by paytonc; September 1st, 2010 at 07:25 AM.
paytonc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower