daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #10021
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
You live in San Francisco? I've always wanted to see the fog and the Golden Gate Bridge (which is ironically red; did you know that some wanted to make it a rainbow color?) and the Transamerica Pyramid!

And 2000 feet is unbelievably tall in America, but not extremely tall in terms of world competition, and it's even more average in the proposed section compared to other asian proposed buildings. (I mean, there's a megatall proposal in Indonesia!) And if this does get built, it'll be a big win for Chicago, and it'll be mandatory for the Hudson Spire to be built. (Their names are ironically similar, huh?)

Who cares about world competition, 2000 feet would be just shy of Shanghai's tallest building and as high as the Burj Khalifa's roof, how is that not big enough for people? NY and Chicago are among the biggest/tallest skylines and they are the only ones in a truly developed country that isn't crying for attention. That says a lot.

I do live in SF and the Pyramid and Golden Gate are awesome in person

roballan liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #10022
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Even though the Chicago Spire is shorter than Burj Dubai, considerably so, it doesn't have that spindly appearance. It's fatter and more balanced in shape. It looks like a proper skyscraper, rather than a needle stretching for height. Same goes for the Shanghai Tower.

I think if you're willing to have 200m of mechanical and communication floors, and nothing else at the top, then yeah, you can have the tallest building in the world. But the Chicago Spire and especially the Shanghai Tower, despite being 700ft shorter, have more floor and office space anyway.

I'm not going to call the Burj Dubai a cheat. It's legitimately a marvel of engineering and probably ushered in the age of the megatalls. But it's the second wave of towers, not as tall, but more sensibly designed, that are going to define the next decade or two.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #10023
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

March 14 2014

higer res 2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic

desertpunk, Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by harryc; March 16th, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #10024
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Is that an ice pond at the bottom?
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #10025
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Is that an ice pond at the bottom?
Yes

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #10026
Ultros
Evil Octopussy

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Even though the Chicago Spire is shorter than Burj Dubai, considerably so, it doesn't have that spindly appearance. It's fatter and more balanced in shape. It looks like a proper skyscraper, rather than a needle stretching for height. Same goes for the Shanghai Tower.

I think if you're willing to have 200m of mechanical and communication floors, and nothing else at the top, then yeah, you can have the tallest building in the world. But the Chicago Spire and especially the Shanghai Tower, despite being 700ft shorter, have more floor and office space anyway.

I'm not going to call the Burj Dubai a cheat. It's legitimately a marvel of engineering and probably ushered in the age of the megatalls. But it's the second wave of towers, not as tall, but more sensibly designed, that are going to define the next decade or two.
My thoughts exactly... I do really marvel at the sheer height of the Burj Kalifa and the upcoming Kingdom Tower, yet I quietly find myself just as impressed, if not more so, by all the new towers that are "only" around the 2000 ft mark yet are achieving their heights with usable space almost all the way to the top.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Ultros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 03:23 AM   #10027
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Maybe it's time to spend some of that $75,000 in upkeep...

j-biz liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #10028
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...ed-spire-plan#

DuSable Park to Get Calatrava-Designed Redo Under Revived Spire Plan

By Lizzie Schiffman on March 17, 2014

If the Chicago Spire project moves forward, the developers have committed to investing $9 million in renovating DuSable Park. DuSable Park Renovations

STREETERVILLE — If attempts to resurrect the 150-story Chicago Spire project on Lake Shore Drive story are successful, DuSable Park is all but guaranteed a $9 million facelift.

A big-budget overhaul of the currently undeveloped park separated from the Spire site at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive was in the initial plans before the project was abandoned in 2007. At that time, a new park had already been designed by architect Santiago Calatrava, who also designed the Spire.

"The rubric we intend to pursue is the same plan and planning approval that we had back in 2007, 2008," Murphy said. "Under that outline of the plan for the building, we would be using DuSable park as a staging area for constructing the building ... [then] contributing to the development of the park so when the building is complete, the park will be complete."

He noted the 3-acre spot — which sits between the Ogden Slip and the Chicago River and just north of DuSable Harbor Boathouse — is difficult to develop.

"The community is very excited that the Spire is still planning to move forward. We've supported the project in the past, and we continue to support it. We want something very iconic to go in that location, [the Spire] is exactly what we hoped for that great parcel of property on the lakefront."

Restoring the park after the building was finished was part of that deal, but the park was left barren when the plan was abandoned.

Murphy agreed about the current state of the park. He said that's part of why developers are eager to reinvest in the area surrounding the tower.

"Everybody I've talked to in that community remains supportive and excited," Murphy said. "The public benefit that comes from building such a distinguished, urban design is that it works into the grid of the city of Chicago ... and therefore it doesn't impede, but enhances the city's plan."

Murphy said the small footprint of the building relative to its height will leave plenty of room for a park.

"When you have a very slender silhouette of the building that is 10 times as high as it is wide, it's very narrow, and it allows you to have a lot of open space, a lot of park space, and we're thrilled about that. We're thrilled to contribute to the community," he said.

"We're all on board with the plan of the developer using the space to complete the project, and with the ultimate commitment towards finishing DuSable Park," Rashid said.

The development group, headed by Garrett Kelleher, has until the end of October to pay more than $109 million it owes to Related Midwest for a buyout of the company's bankruptcy-inducing debt last fall, according to the terms of an agreement struck in a federal court Wednesday.

If Shelbourne can make that payment by Halloween — or takes an available deadline extension and pays a larger sum by March 2015 — Murphy says the DuSable renovation project will go on as planned, joining the underutilized waterfront Park District-owned lan via a bridge to the publicly-accessible plaza surrounding the Spire.

The current condition of DuSable Park.

Old March 18th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #10029
SomeKindOfBug

I think this is happening. Like a stone rolling down a hill, we're seeing a steady increase in the amount of news and discussion about the project. Don't think that would be happening if there weren't cogs turning in the background.
Old March 18th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #10030
SomeKindOfBug

Oh, I agree. I think the project is probably going to be scaled down a huge amount. But in terms of someone actually building something on the lot, I think we're a lot closer than we were a year ago.
Old March 18th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #10031
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Hopefully it will look like the model in the last photo.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #10032
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The problem will be financing. No one will finance a barely (if at all) profitable vanity project.
They were selling units right and left before the market collapsed, keep in mind it's also much cheaper to build in Chicago than say NYC... Maybe the project will be scaled back but as crazy as it seems I think Atlas/Kelleher will not disappoint.

And if not we have Related's pile of shit to look forward to
Old March 18th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #10033
SomeKindOfBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I agree. Something definitely will rise there, but I highly doubt that it will be this. Calatrava's involvement would be a further issue in getting financing. Many of his projects, while beautiful, are now being criticized for suffering from serious design flaws.
It doesn't help that his designs are like the literal worst possible shapes for cost-cutting measures. Which is kinda funny, really. Everything is curved and bespoke. Every window pane a slightly different size and orientation etc etc.

You've got to imagine some low-level engineer being tasked with 'cheapening the project', taking one look at the tower's design and having a nervous breakdown.

It's a shame, though, because I think we can all agree the tower as designed is beautiful. It's just designed for a rich world and we don't live in a rich world.
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #10034
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Hopefully it will look like the model in the last photo.
Hopefully it will be taller than the model.

Quote:
It doesn't help that his designs are like the literal worst possible shapes for cost-cutting measures. Which is kinda funny, really. Everything is curved and bespoke. Every window pane a slightly different size and orientation etc etc.
First thing I'd do is make the lobby a whole lot taller, because how many super-rich can you imagine proudly saying "Yeah, I live in the tenth floor of the Chicago Spire, I have a great view of just about nothing..."?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #10035
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Quote:
It's a shame, though, because I think we can all agree the tower as designed is beautiful.
No we can't! On top of how phallic the design is, the corkscrew twist is the worst kind of kitsch, and it's thankfully already on its way out of style.

I am hoping that something tall is ultimately built here (2000 ft. is pretty unrealistic in the US, but one can always hope), just with a completely different design.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #10036
SomeKindOfBug

There's no polite way to say this, but if your dick looks like a drillbit that is ten times as long as it is wide, you have some serious problems, man.

Chicity747, hybridy, Spearman liked this post
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #10037
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post

I am hoping that something tall is ultimately built here (2000 ft. is pretty unrealistic in the US, but one can always hope), just with a completely different design.

2000 ft. unrealistic? If the USA was building 400 meter buildings back in the 70's it can build a 600 meter one today. If Indonesia can try to put up a 2000 foot building, so can USA.

Enough with the self deprecating defeatist attitudes.

Msradell, Simfan34 liked this post
Old March 18th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #10038
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

I'm not talking about a Six Million Dollar Man "We have the technology, we can build it" sense of realistic. If a US developer had the will to finance a mile-high tower, we would be the first country to get it done.

But the saga of New York's 57th street towers (and in particular Extell's Nordstrom Tower) has demonstrated that, at least as far as luxury condos are concerned, around 1400-1500 ft. is the point at which the return-on-investment begins to diminish past what developers are willing to accept. It's helpful to remember that for the most part these are publicly traded companies with an obligation to their investors. They can't just decide to lose profit because of the whimsical notion that having the tallest or biggest anything matters.

It's not self-defeating to admit that there's just no economic incentive for developers to build that tall. If you're upset about it, blame capitalism, blame physics, and blame the sheiks and planned-economy governments who have chosen to eschew good economic sense for vanity projects. Frankly, given what the economy has been through, I'm comfortable with the knowledge that our developers are less interested in dick-measuring contests than in sensible investments.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #10039
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I'm not talking about a Six Million Dollar Man "We have the technology, we can build it" sense of realistic. If a US developer had the will to finance a mile-high tower, we would be the first country to get it done.

But the saga of New York's 57th street towers (and in particular Extell's Nordstrom Tower) has demonstrated that, at least as far as luxury condos are concerned, around 1400-1500 ft. is the point at which the return-on-investment begins to diminish past what developers are willing to accept. It's helpful to remember that for the most part these are publicly traded companies with an obligation to their investors. They can't just decide to lose profit because of the whimsical notion that having the tallest or biggest anything matters.

It's not self-defeating to admit that there's just no economic incentive for developers to build that tall. If you're upset about it, blame capitalism, blame physics, and blame the sheiks and planned-economy governments who have chosen to eschew good economic sense for vanity projects. Frankly, given what the economy has been through, I'm comfortable with the knowledge that our developers are less interested in dick-measuring contests than in sensible investments.

You're talking about New York though, a city where it costs easily twice as much to build a skyscraper than Chicago. The fact that they were all ready to go ahead with the project before the market crashed is a good sign, units were sold and everything. They might not make a huge profit but what's wrong with an ambitious vanity project every now and then? The US is overdo for one honestly.

Even though they swear to build the original spire at 2000 ft I do agree it is also a possibility that we will see a slightly scaled down, but still giant building with which I would be totally fine honestly.

LeCom liked this post
Old March 19th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #10040
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot
Hopefully it will be taller than the model.

First thing I'd do is make the lobby a whole lot taller, because how many super-rich can you imagine proudly saying "Yeah, I live in the tenth floor of the Chicago Spire, I have a great view of just about nothing..."?
So you'd like to trade building levels that you could sell for less for podium you couldn't at all
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower