daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2014, 04:36 AM   #10061
Chicity747

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
That might work. A top floor for the residents but could be groups or rented out. Something like the Gerkin in London has but without a full restaurant. An event venue sort of thing. Still wish they could fit a small 5 star hotel in there but that never was in the latest plan.

http://searcys.co.uk/venues/the-gher.../#.UzN4aMEo7mI

I think something like that would be a great idea, and they could probably charge an arm and a leg.
Chicity747 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #10062
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

If Related gain control of the site, do they get to build the tower themselves, ie are the architectural plans/submitted proposals come part-and-package with the plot of land?
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #10063
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

No! Related has a 2 tower plan for the site.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #10064
DFDalton
Banished from SSP

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
I am positive that almost anyone on this forum as well as in US would love to see something that extraordinary as Spire to really happen. Point is from the get go I thought that the way they are going about this tower is a bit light. Like you have a hunch these guys were not serious enough about it. I can only hope that this time around they will rethink this project.

One way of doing it is by making it a mix use and add stores, restaurants and observation deck on top. that will add tremendous amount of value to it and make it much more possible to build. it will require some change in the design, but it is very doable.
Stores: Won't work. The Spire location suffers by simultaneously being too far off the beaten path, and too close to a plethora of shopping opportunities on Michigan Ave. Trump Tower is arguably a much better location for stores, yet (and correct me if I'm wrong) Trump has not leased a single shop. The entire retail space is completely vacant and boarded up like a Chinese shopping mall.

Restaraunts: Again, there are already too many restaraunts in the area. I believe the original Spire plan included a small private restaraunt for condo owners and their guests.

Observation deck: The problem is twofold. First there isn't enough space for a separate entrance and elevator to a public observation deck and the site is too isolated to deal with the constant tourist traffic. Second, the building is being sold as an exclusive luxury condo tower. Do the elites buying into this building want to deal with Joe and Jane Sixpack from Joplin Missouri entering their exclusive enclave, stinking up the joint?

j-biz, Eric Offereins liked this post
DFDalton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #10065
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28168

I agree. Just residential should have a good chance of succes here.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 01:36 AM   #10066
SomeKindOfBug

They're doing up the park opposite, right? Throw in a Burger King and call the whole project 'mixed use'. Ha.
Old March 31st, 2014, 05:28 PM   #10067
OhioTodd

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDalton View Post
... The entire retail space is completely vacant and boarded up like a Chinese shopping mall...

... Do the elites buying into this building want to deal with Joe and Jane Sixpack from Joplin Missouri entering their exclusive enclave, stinking up the joint?
LOL! This actually made me laugh.

I hope this thing gets built finally.
OhioTodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 06:08 PM   #10068
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2613

They should just sign up to a crowdfunding site and post their link on all major skyscraper forums. Wouldn't pay for the whole thing, but with all the skyscraper nerds around I reckon they'd get a few million bucks.

Kanto liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:30 PM   #10069
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
They should just sign up to a crowdfunding site and post their link on all major skyscraper forums. Wouldn't pay for the whole thing, but with all the skyscraper nerds around I reckon they'd get a few million bucks.
I'm sure they would actually, I'd even probably donate a little money but unfortunately it would still be small change compared to the total cost of everything.

Wishing you the best of luck Atlas/Kelleher!

Kanto liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 12:06 AM   #10070
SomeKindOfBug

The absurdity of crowdsourcing a billion dollar skyscraper, a building designed by, and for, the super rich, is staggering. Next you'll be saying that car enthusiasts should buy Kanye West a new Ferrari just to see what shade of red it comes in.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old April 1st, 2014, 12:07 AM   #10071
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

I have less and less hope in crowdfunding. Even most interesting space projects can't rise much more than one million. And we are talking about billions worth of private project here. IMO They couldn't even crowdfund cost of moving machines back on site
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:40 AM   #10072
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3521usa View Post
No! Related has a 2 tower plan for the site.
No way that's an old design
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 08:33 AM   #10073
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

I'm sure related would put something pretty tall on the site but it would just pale in comparison with the spire, height and design wise, I hear they have a bad reputation.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:28 AM   #10074
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
The absurdity of crowdsourcing a billion dollar skyscraper, a building designed by, and for, the super rich, is staggering. Next you'll be saying that car enthusiasts should buy Kanye West a new Ferrari just to see what shade of red it comes in.
This is not to fund the construction, the sums involved are too large. This is to increase its symbolic value, and thereby increasing the rate at which units can be sold. Think of very simple rewards such as engraving the names of contributors into the steel beams used in its construction. The contributors would tell their family, co-workers and friends about having contributed to the construction of the building, creating a vast network of people who either directly contributed or know someone personally who did. This is to give the tower a symbolic feel of being built with the heartblood of all Americans - an opportunity missed for 1WTC. The prestige of living in such a tower will be far greater than that of a "simple", anonymous building. It is one of many effective advertising and value-increasing techniques available in the internet age. You are more likely to attract the super-rich with a universally admired symbol.

Some people still have their brains in the 1980s and compare the marketing power of the internet with some rapper's cars. Small-minded people do not see the big picture of today.

Kanto liked this post
Old April 1st, 2014, 12:34 PM   #10075
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Is that supposed to be a response to me? Because it basically ignores everything I wrote.

-edit- Let me just add two things: 1. Having been in Chicago and spoken to locals as well as other tourists, I can tell you first hand that nobody gives a rat's rear about who occupies the big towers there. 2. If the Spire was designed primarily for its occupants, it would be some dreck like 432 PA.

Last edited by droneriot; April 1st, 2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old April 1st, 2014, 01:15 PM   #10076
patrykus

I thought I have addressed your main argument of making crowdfunding an advertising campaign. Or didn't you read the whole thing? What advertising would it be if media would laugh at it and the campaign would collect only tiny fraction of the cost of the building? And does super reach really needs incentives like masses loving the building? Don't you think the spire being the tallest luxurious skyscraper in United States was and always will be the major factor for them? What do they care about people who engraved their names for a dollar? And since we are at that. You said people would be proud of contributing and I also responded to this. People don't care about this building. It won't even have observation deck. Sure tourists will come to Chicago to see "this tall twisting skyscraper", but you have to admit putting their money to build it is completely different thing. As I said it could work for 1wtc. But this tower will never be as symbolic as 1wtc. The latter was about US regaining power after 911. This one is about fancy living for 1% of the population. Apples and oranges really.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old April 1st, 2014, 01:36 PM   #10077
SomeKindOfBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
This is not to fund the construction, the sums involved are too large. This is to increase its symbolic value, and thereby increasing the rate at which units can be sold. Think of very simple rewards such as engraving the names of contributors into the steel beams used in its construction. The contributors would tell their family, co-workers and friends about having contributed to the construction of the building, creating a vast network of people who either directly contributed or know someone personally who did. This is to give the tower a symbolic feel of being built with the heartblood of all Americans - an opportunity missed for 1WTC. The prestige of living in such a tower will be far greater than that of a "simple", anonymous building. It is one of many effective advertising and value-increasing techniques available in the internet age. You are more likely to attract the super-rich with a universally admired symbol.

Some people still have their brains in the 1980s and compare the marketing power of the internet with some rapper's cars. Small-minded people do not see the big picture of today.
You sound like a Pharaoh trying to convince his slaves that they are as much a part of the pyramid complex as he is.

I'm not going to pay money out of my pocket to make the super rich feel a little bit happier with their ten million dollar apartment. Anyone who does is a hapless victim of the American class system.

Tower Dude liked this post
Old April 1st, 2014, 01:49 PM   #10078
patrykus

Actually I even think putting together crowdfunding and "10milion dollar apartment" would make it even harder at selling it. I mean you don't put 10% discount badge on new shiny Ferrari

Old April 1st, 2014, 09:06 PM   #10079
Spearman
NWO Henchman

Likes (Received): 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Actually I even think putting together crowdfunding and "10milion dollar apartment" would make it even harder at selling it. I mean you don't put 10% discount badge on new shiny Ferrari
It's an old idea, and they used to call it buying stock. They still end up with the money, and I don't have to feel like I'm a chump for financing the super rich. Shouldn't be so impossible.

If I could buy shares in this piece of art, I would certainly consider it, mostly to see it built. And I'm very poor, so it wouldn't be a significant contribution unless a lot of people joined me.

A bureaucrat is a device for turning coffee into frustration.

Kanto liked this post
Spearman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:05 PM   #10080
patrykus

But this is exactly what Kelleher is doing right now - looking for investors. You can always call them and ask if they want your money. But as does mr K I'm sure you understand it as well that few little contributions won't make any difference. That's why he's looking for big fishes out there who understands the market and potential profits this investment could produce. And I sure hope he success

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower