daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:53 AM   #10081
Spearman
NWO Henchman

Likes (Received): 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
And I sure hope he success
So do I!

Oslo cannot into skyscrapers...

A bureaucrat is a device for turning coffee into frustration.
Spearman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #10082
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Can someone tell me what this means exactly and what the implications are for the Chicago Spire?

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...-30154048.html

NAMA appoints receivers to 11 firms linked to developer Garrett Kelleher

DONAL O'DONOVAN – PUBLISHED 04 APRIL 2014 02:30 AM

NAMA has appointed receivers to take over assets of almost a dozen companies connected to Garrett Kelleher, the Irish developer who is planning to build North America's tallest building in Chicago.
Accountants Simon Coyle and Tom O'Brien of Mazars were appointed as receivers on March 28 to take control of the assets of a number of Irish companies, including Shelbourne Properties, Shamrock Building Company, and CWD Properties where the developer is a director. In all, the joint receivers have been appointed over some or all of the assets of 11 companies, according to papers filed with the Companies Registration Office.
NAMA had registered charges, or mortgages, against some of the assets involved as recently as last December.
However, the claims involved are understood to originally date back to property and development loans taken out during the boom.
At its height, Mr Kelleher's Shelbourne Development group had significant property interests, including a portfolio of Irish, UK and continental European commercial properties as well as the planned Chicago Spire.
The Chicago project stalled following the global financial crash but received a shot in the arm last month when a US court backed a deal struck by Kelleher, main US lender Related, and new backer Atlas.
The deal will result in them coming together to develop what is set to become the landmark €1.5bn Chigaco Spire. (Additional reporting by Bloomberg)
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #10083
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

NAMA is the National Asset Management Agency.

Receivership is what happens when a company or individual, in control of significant assets, is deemed to be incapable of managing those assets in accordance with either law or the best interests of the public.

As these ancillary companies are not Kelleher himself (ie, he hasn't filed bankruptcy), nor are they the main developer for the Chicago Spire project, this could have no effect on the project whatsoever.

That said, this places a lot more power in the hands of his partners (Atlas and Related) as they now know Kelleher's empire is in dire financial straits (as if they didn't already) and is being dismantled by the Irish Government. Meaning they can leverage their own stability against his history of incompetence should the Spire site or the project as a whole ever come before arbitration (ie if Related have other plans for the site, they now have a massive advantage in negotiating a deal).

Qtya, Chi649 liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #10084
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
NAMA is the National Asset Management Agency.

Receivership is what happens when a company or individual, in control of significant assets, is deemed to be incapable of managing those assets in accordance with either law or the best interests of the public.

As these ancillary companies are not Kelleher himself (ie, he hasn't filed bankruptcy), nor are they the main developer for the Chicago Spire project, this could have no effect on the project whatsoever.

That said, this places a lot more power in the hands of his partners (Atlas and Related) as they now know Kelleher's empire is in dire financial straits (as if they didn't already) and is being dismantled by the Irish Government. Meaning they can leverage their own stability against his history of incompetence should the Spire site or the project as a whole ever come before arbitration (ie if Related have other plans for the site, they now have a massive advantage in negotiating a deal).
I thought Related was against him?

This whole thing just gets more and more confusing, this doesn't sound like good news but I can't really tell anymore.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #10085
Chi649

Thanks for the explanation SomeKindOfBug
Old April 6th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #10086
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

April 2nd

Springtime in Chicago

Still frozen

The ramp forward

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 02:22 AM   #10087
Jay

So bare
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:40 AM   #10088
Chi649

Thanks Harryc
Old April 9th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #10089
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28159

That freezing and thawing is probably not so good for the concrete?

If I were living in those small blocks to the right I wouldn't be happy with that fence so close before my front door.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #10090
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
That freezing and thawing is probably not so good for the concrete?

If I were living in those small blocks to the right I wouldn't be happy with that fence so close before my front door.
That concrete you see in the hole will not be there permanently anyway. It's only acting as reinforcing rings for the shoring for the core. Once the underground garage is excavated (top-down excavation as the building goes up) the shoring and those rings will be removed.
Old April 21st, 2014, 11:00 PM   #10091
captainboss
STELLAR FOX

Likes (Received): 682

it's baut 30ft of water in hole
captainboss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 11:33 PM   #10092
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28159

A nice swimming pool.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 11:50 PM   #10093
Jay

Not really new news but dated recently

http://www.law360.com/articles/52973...lender-related
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:54 AM   #10094
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

I wonder what India Towers hole looks like after monsoon season>?

I did not know that the concrete rings would be removed.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #10095
harryc

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
I wonder what India Towers hole looks like after monsoon season>?

I did not know that the concrete rings would be removed.
The water is --- the water table, reflects the lake level (higher than the river).

Yes the entire hole will be removed, it was just put in to make the rock caissons easier (IIRC the mat would have been the next item in).

Last Week (4/21)

“War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter into killing each other.”

--Niko Bellic

Swiddle liked this post
harryc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #10096
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2103

Question: I went to Chicago for the first time not too long ago and went down Lakeshore Dr. across from Navy Pier. Would the tower be proportional with the skyline or stick out like a sore thumb? In Buffalo the tallest building here really isn't proportionate.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #10097
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

It would stick out quite a lot, but I think it's okay with the planned design.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:53 AM   #10098
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Question: I went to Chicago for the first time not too long ago and went down Lakeshore Dr. across from Navy Pier. Would the tower be proportional with the skyline or stick out like a sore thumb? In Buffalo the tallest building here really isn't proportionate.
It would stick out, but Chicago's skyline is one of the largest and tallest in the world so it wouldn't stick out anymore than the Shanghai Tower or Burj.
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:48 PM   #10099
jackedi07
YoutubeChannel:Jackedi07

Likes (Received): 522

Chicago’s Mired Spire to Get Another Shot

The ever-stillborn, yet seemingly invincible Chicago Spire has yet another lease on life. In a court-approved restructuring plan, developer Garrett Kelleher and his new partner, Atlas Apartment Holdings, will provide financing to pay off Related Companies, the debt-holder on the project. If they fail, the land will be turned over to Related.

The Santiago Calatrava-designed, 610-meter tower has been nothing more than a hole in the ground along Chicago’s Lake Shore Drive since Shelbourne North Water Street LP, Kelleher’s company, filed for bankruptcy protection in October 2007. Atlas and Kelleher have two options and an Oct. 31, 2014 deadline to satisfy Related’s claims, according to a bankruptcy court filing. They can give Related $109 million, or they can pay $22 million and get a five-month extension. With the extension, they will have to come up with an additional $92 million by the end of March 2015, according to the filing.

Even if they’re able to repay creditors, the developers will still need to get financing for the 150-story tower’s construction.

CTBUH Executive Director Antony Wood provided some context for the project’s significance to Chicago, the birthplace of the modern skyscraper.

“It would be a big deal for Chicago both in terms of its height and its title, and also its prominence on that site right on the lake and the difference of its architecture,” Wood said. “The skyscraper was born in this city and people still associate a huge amount of pride with not only the buildings that are here, but Chicago being at the forefront of pushing what the skyscraper is.”

Daunting though the odds are, no one is counting out Kelleher yet, who is not one to back off from a fight, according to Thomas Murphy, an attorney for Shelbourne Development.

The market is also different from the one in which the project launched, in a highly speculative market with loose financing and murky pro formas. In the intervening years, tall and thin residential developments the world over are now attracting global capital to what is seen as a sound investment.

Wood said he’s confident people will buy condos in the Spire should it be built.

“We could say with some certainty that there is going to be a high percentage of people who are buying these apartments as investments,” he said. “It would be the first of its kind, in a sense, of an iconic residential building on a brilliant site that’s going to get the world’s attention.”

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...US/view.aspx#!

phoenixboi08, Hot Rod liked this post
jackedi07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 08:11 PM   #10100
Jay

Not really new news but good to hear... I guess?

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower