daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #10161
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
and one massive structure is unlikely to set into motion a craze of foreign-driven luxury condo acquisition
By what logic are they making that claim? That's exactly what's happened in Dubai and a large number of Chinese and European cities.

In fact, if you had to make a list of 'things that are likely to spur property investment', boundary-pushing prestige skyscrapers would be top of the list, not bottom. They have an immediate effect on the culture and international renown of the city.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #10162
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Even with investor interest, the Spire faces an uphill battle in its hopes of achieving profitability. Projected to cost between $1 billion and $1.5 billion to complete, the Spire's condos would need to sell at around $800 to $1,000 per square foot to be economically viable. While this might be the norm for New York's ultra luxury market, Chicago's median is closer to $300 per square foot. Living in the Spire would be exceptionally costly.
What an awfully misleading comparison. $300 per square foot is the median condo price in Chicago... However, This is a luxury building. Prices over at the trump building (another luxury building) rose to over $1,300 well over what this said is viable for the Spire which is a better site with greater height IMHO.

j-biz, spectre000, Kanto, patrykus liked this post
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #10163
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

This tower, if constructed, is surely going to be on of the most striking icons in the world. This is a big deal design wise.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #10164
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
By what logic are they making that claim? That's exactly what's happened in Dubai and a large number of Chinese and European cities.

In fact, if you had to make a list of 'things that are likely to spur property investment', boundary-pushing prestige skyscrapers would be top of the list, not bottom. They have an immediate effect on the culture and international renown of the city.
I think things are more difficult that that. One skyscraper alone probably won't be enough. City-wide changes in terms of governance, etc will probably be required to unleash a major rise in the international renown of the city. Given the current problematic issues in the city and the long cold winters, i'm not sure one design alone will be enough. I'm hoping it is though.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #10165
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
I think things are more difficult that that. One skyscraper alone probably won't be enough. City-wide changes in terms of governance, etc will probably be required to unleash a major rise in the international renown of the city. Given the current problematic issues in the city and the long cold winters, i'm not sure one design alone will be enough. I'm hoping it is though.
I suspect that Chicago might become more important in the coming decades and centuries, in part because coastal cities are going to face problems due to rising sea levels and changing weather patterns. It is well poised to gain from other regions' losses.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #10166
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
I suspect that Chicago might become more important in the coming decades and centuries, in part because coastal cities are going to face problems due to rising sea levels and changing weather patterns. It is well poised to gain from other regions' losses.
You know that Chicago is build next to a lake and not to the sea?

NYC could get problems with a rising sea level, but NYC is pretty important.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #10167
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

It's not like the water level would rise 50 feet overnight. If it absolutely had to, they'd build a wall to whatever height was needed to hold back the sea. It wouldn't be very attractive looking and it'd require a lot of land (and probably billions of dollars), but it'll survive. It'd be mighty costly, but there's no way anyone is going to let a city with a trillion dollar GDP get submerged by the sea.

Texas RE, Kanto liked this post
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #10168
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Didn't they do that with the old AND new World Trade Center? I think they call it a slurry wall. But you can barely notice it from afar. I've actually never seen pictures of it except when you're right next to it.

Kanto liked this post
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #10169
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Both the WTC and the WFC are on reclaimed land so they had to build some sort of barrier that would keep the Hudson River out of site. Or they had to make the ground elevation higher than the Hudson. I remember I saw a documentary about this but I can't remember anymore which method they used
Old June 28th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #10170
SomeKindOfBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
You know that Chicago is build next to a lake and not to the sea?
His post would indicate he does, because he said Chicago would be unaffected (being lakeside) while other cities are seaside.

iamtheSTIG, sweet-d, Manitopiaaa liked this post
Old June 29th, 2014, 05:20 AM   #10171
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
I disagree, I think it could be. It would essentially become one of America's biggest landmarks, possibly surpassing every tower outside of the Sears, and ESB in recognition. It could even overshadow the new WTC on some level. Tourism would jump due to everyone coming to see America's tallest building, and the spotlight would be on Chicago again.

Kanto liked this post
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #10172
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

Looks so out of place in Chicago.

SJM liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #10173
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

I hate to say it, but this probably will never find the financing it so desperately needs. It's a shame too, this is such a nice design.
Old June 29th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #10174
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

Build this in Las Vegas not Chicago.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #10175
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
Build this in Las Vegas not Chicago.
Yep... I want Chicago to build an iconic supertower for the 21st century. This AIN'T it... a giant corkscrew to the skies.... fits more in Vegas, or Dubai for that matter. Terrible design not worth one of America's greatest, world class cities.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #10176
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Yep... I want Chicago to build an iconic supertower for the 21st century. This AIN'T it... a giant corkscrew to the skies.... fits more in Vegas, or Dubai for that matter. Terrible design not worth one of America's greatest, world class cities.
honestly, this blows my mind, it's such a beautiful design, perhaps one of the most beautiful. I also think it mixes in nicely.

ThatOneGuy, Kanto, andymillman liked this post
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #10177
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

How does it mix in? Most of the skyscrapers in Chicago are boxy, this is the opposite.
Old June 29th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #10178
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
How does it mix in? Most of the skyscrapers in Chicago are boxy, this is the opposite.
The Chicago Spire looks better in the skyline than the Freedom Tower in NYC Skyline IMO. Not everything needs to be a box in Chicago just because it's filled with boxy skyscrapers. This looks more in place that the Chicago WTC tbh. Such a beautiful supertall that will only enhance the skyline.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #10179
SomeKindOfBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
Looks so out of place in Chicago.
That's a compliment. If it didn't look out of place, it wouldn't be trying anything new. It wouldn't be pushing any boundaries.

Kanto liked this post
Old June 29th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #10180
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
That's a compliment. If it didn't look out of place, it wouldn't be trying anything new. It wouldn't be pushing any boundaries.
That's true, and the reason it doesn't look too out of place is that Chicago has a very diverse skyline, one encompassing everything from art deco to international. That's why it's often said to have the best architecture/aesthetics of any skyline.

Kanto liked this post

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower