daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #10181
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Chicago's main icon has been the Sears Tower for over forty years. It's time to build something new for the skyline.

Fabouninou, ExCaliBourBG liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #10182
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

the design slowly grows on me, the location still bugs me though
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #10183
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Would you like it more squeezed between the boxes? Imo for the design standing out so much the location away from the dense tall boxes is only for the best. It still stands out quite dramatically in the chicago skyline - almost doesn't fit there, but I can tell you one thing for sure: if it was to be build next to the sears it would most likely look much worse due to the contrast of styles.

The way it is planned it makes kinda similar effect statue of liberty makes in front of the boxy downtown manhattan skyline.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #10184
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
The Chicago Spire looks better in the skyline than the Freedom Tower in NYC Skyline IMO. Not everything needs to be a box in Chicago just because it's filled with boxy skyscrapers. This looks more in place that the Chicago WTC tbh. Such a beautiful supertall that will only enhance the skyline.
Actually, I think 1WTC fits in NY than Chicago Spire fits in Chicago. Look at the rendering you posted. I could be wrong, but it seems like it's not in a very dense area of Chicago. I would prefer to have it squeezed between the boxes. And although not every building in Chicago is boxy, this is a very unique design compared to every other tower in Chicago.

At least 1WTC is located in a busy part of Manhattan, and eventually it will have the rest of the complex to blend in with it. And it looks more like the North Tower than Shanghai Tower.

But I'm not saying it's a bad design. Like SomeKindOfBug said, the prominence of the tower shows that it's pushing boundaries.

And patrykus, putting the Willis Tower next to the Chicago Spire is HILARIOUS! But of course not. Just a slightly denser version would be enough.

weidncol liked this post

Last edited by onewtclover; June 29th, 2014 at 10:46 PM.
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #10185
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Usually the most iconic buildings are the ones that break the context.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #10186
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
the design slowly grows on me, the location still bugs me though
The location is perfect. It stands at the waterfront, apart from the rest of the cluster.

It's like a lighthouse. A vanguard jutting out into Lake Michigan, perfectly inline with the marina and Navy Pier.

And even if you're worried about it being isolated (which I believe is a good thing to compliment its design), then the new east side stuff will ground it better in a few years. Plus, you know, the inevitable cluster that will rise up around the spire as every tall building seeds.

Kanto liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #10187
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2613

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Usually the most iconic buildings are the ones that break the context.
No, how can you say that! Chicago has boxy buildings, therefore any future building must be boxy! You must not deviate from the norm!
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #10188
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

I guess the late Bertrand Goldberg didn't get the 'boxy' Chicago memo... Either that or some of the people on this forum didn't get the Chicago history memo.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #10189
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

BTW Related had a 1000 footer and a 900 footer planned for the site.
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #10190
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...53494&page=113

This 800 and 1000, on ssp.
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #10191
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Such a tease...
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:57 AM   #10192
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
That's a compliment. If it didn't look out of place, it wouldn't be trying anything new. It wouldn't be pushing any boundaries.
That's what I'm saying too, why would you want a 2000 foot box in Chicago? It's one of the largest/tallest skylines in the world and it's almost all boxes, this building would be great.

Kanto liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #10193
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
Actually, I think 1WTC fits in NY than Chicago Spire fits in Chicago. Look at the rendering you posted. I could be wrong, but it seems like it's not in a very dense area of Chicago. I would prefer to have it squeezed between the boxes. And although not every building in Chicago is boxy, this is a very unique design compared to every other tower in Chicago.

At least 1WTC is located in a busy part of Manhattan, and eventually it will have the rest of the complex to blend in with it. And it looks more like the North Tower than Shanghai Tower.

But I'm not saying it's a bad design. Like SomeKindOfBug said, the prominence of the tower shows that it's pushing boundaries.

And patrykus, putting the Willis Tower next to the Chicago Spire is HILARIOUS! But of course not. Just a slightly denser version would be enough.
To each their own, respectively. In all honesty, imo, the location adds balance to the skyline. Imagine the Spire poking of this picture.
(6.2.14)-Shedd Sunset-1 by ChiPhotoGuy, on Flickr

It would look absolutely stunning. One Supertall on the far left and another Supertall on the far right adding balance to the skyline. I feel if the location would be pushed to the denser part of the skyline, it would make the skyline itself look somewhat sloppy, no flow. And the design itself is amazing!! Jaw dropping in renderings, can only imagine in person. Its not your traditional Chicago Box but that's the best part, ITS NOT A BOX the greatest things in life is out the comfort zone.

Manitopiaaa, Kanto, sweet-d, iamtheSTIG liked this post
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #10194
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10272

Gorgeous pic of Chicago! I agree. The Chicago Spire would look amazing from Field/Shedd and would provide another pillar to counterbalance the Sears.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Kanto liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #10195
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Those are horrible, I wish Related will never get a site in Chicago again. A 1 000 footer and a 800 footer are absolutely useless for the skyline. The Chicago skyline is far too valuable for precious land to be wasted on something like what Related proposed

As to the debate of how the Spire would fit into the skyline, I think it fits very well into Chicago. I'm a huge fan of boxy buildings but a 2 000 footer with such a good design would definitely be the greatest event for the skyline since 1974. A city doesn't need to be boxy for the sake of being boxy. It is nice to have boxy buildings but they should never stop non-boxy towers with a beautiful design to be built. Especially if such a beautiful tower is a 2 000 footer. The Chicago skyline is the best skyline on the planet but it needs to move on to the future and not dwell on the past. The Willis Tower is the most beautiful building on the planet but it had it's time of reign, it is now time to build a new king for the city
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #10196
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I'm looking at it again in the context of the skyline in Chicago, and the nighttime lighted render really is nice. Still I'm not quite sold on the corkscrew design... I'm definitely not sold on two smaller towers going there. I just want to know if something is going to get going there in the near future... if a year or two they'll be groundbreaking or will this be just a speculated development for years on end. Especially because I read the foundations are already in place for such a soaring, massive structure if there is a financial means now available to restart the project and build to at least close to the size indicated, whether they precisely use the screw style model or something else... get it going!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #10197
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I'm looking at it again in the context of the skyline in Chicago, and the nighttime lighted render really is nice. Still I'm not quite sold on the corkscrew design... I'm definitely not sold on two smaller towers going there. I just want to know if something is going to get going there in the near future... if a year or two they'll be groundbreaking or will this be just a speculated development for years on end. Especially because I read the foundations are already in place for such a soaring, massive structure if there is a financial means now available to restart the project and build to at least close to the size indicated, whether they precisely use the screw style model or something else... get it going!
I'm guessing someone drew up the alternative plans not because they actually want to built them, not entirely, but to put pressure on the people involved to get shit done and start sorting the main plans out.

It's like on top Gear when they have the beetle following them around Africa for the loser. Just puts this niggling pressure in the back of your mind and refocuses you on the task at hand.

Two unremarkable towers would be perhaps a better solution short term. But Chicago - like all cities - is full of unremarkable towers at conservative heights with conservative prices for rent. It's a life vest, a way to extract money out of the plot if everything else falls flat.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #10198
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 699

Is it already approved?
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #10199
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Approved? It has foundation built The thread status is slightly misleading as it should rather be on hold unless we agree that something completely new is getting build here and new approval process is required.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Shaddorry, Manitopiaaa liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 03:34 AM   #10200
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Approved? It has foundation built The thread status is slightly misleading as it should rather be on hold unless we agree that something completely new is getting build here and new approval process is required.
I agree, the thread title should read "On Hold".
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower