daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 10th, 2014, 03:48 AM   #10381
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago
 
munchymunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hometown of FLW
Posts: 1,415
Likes (Received): 1165

I think it could with condos, hotel, and apartments.
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #10382
rlw777
Registered User
 
rlw777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 300
Likes (Received): 469

We should hear new info on Friday or Monday about the spire. Kelleher is required to pay $109 million to Related by Oct. 31.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #10383
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem
 
j-biz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,309
Likes (Received): 2793

All right folks say a little prayer to the Skyscraper Gods
__________________

Trex-md, munchymunch, Texas RE liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:59 AM   #10384
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago
 
munchymunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hometown of FLW
Posts: 1,415
Likes (Received): 1165

Lol just looking at views of this almost 3 million triple of the nordstrom tower.

I would just like to adress everyone who says this is a skyline ruiner, its not it's more like the new era of the Chicago skyline. Lets get this thing built.
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #10385
SomeKindOfBug
Registered User
 
SomeKindOfBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,042
Likes (Received): 1035

If the Spire is built, as designed, and there's actually construction going on and it's not stalled or redesigned or anything, it will be the most prestigious development in the US, and will get a huge amount of attention here and elsewhere.

But that's a big if. An if so big it might as well have it's own thread.
__________________

j-biz, ExCaliBourBG liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #10386
(:
Registered User
 
(:'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 318
Likes (Received): 229

That is also if NY doesn't get a 2,000' proposal first
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #10387
LondoniumLex
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Greenwich
Posts: 1,773
Likes (Received): 2064

Even if, by some miracle, there is a will and a means to build a colossal tower, I'd be shocked if it was this one because Calatrava's projects are known for massive cost overruns. No developer will risk financial collapse for a vanity project geared at making Chicagoans proud.
__________________

Subsequence liked this post

Last edited by LondoniumLex; October 30th, 2014 at 01:23 AM.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 04:52 AM   #10388
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem
 
j-biz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,309
Likes (Received): 2793

You just can't resist, can you?
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #10389
SomeKindOfBug
Registered User
 
SomeKindOfBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,042
Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Even if, by some miracle, there is a will and a means to build a colossal tower, I'd be shocked if it was this one because Calatrava's projects are known for massive cost overruns. No developer will risk financial collapse for a vanity project geared at making Chicagoans proud.
If you can name me a supertall on Earth, built or proposed, that isn't a vanity project, I'd be amazed.

Skyscrapers are, almost by definition, about prestige and emotion. If the only thing you cared about was office space you'd build a bunch of warehouses in Oak Park. If its sole purpose was to house people, you'd set up a thousand homes on the outskirts of the city and save a lot of money.

No, skyscrapers are purpose built to inspire. You say 'making Chicagoans proud' as though it were a buzzword, or some marketing spiel. When in fact 'making people proud' is one of the reasons skyscrapers even exist in the first place. America is not short on space. Unlike Hong Kong or Shanghai or large parts of Europe, there's no logistical reason to build up. America could build out for a thousand years and still be mostly empty.

Plus, any developer who would be in financial ruin from the failure of just one building, however tall, wouldn't be able to touch the Spire in the first place. The only reason it isn't already finished is worldwide financial collapse, hardly what you'd call ordinary risk.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #10390
LondoniumLex
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Greenwich
Posts: 1,773
Likes (Received): 2064

The ones in NY. They're building that high because the high floors are generating $10k/sf+ sales.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #10391
Eric Offereins
The only way is up
 
Eric Offereins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 68,624
Likes (Received): 28178

And they sell. Pretty good business.
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #10392
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago
 
munchymunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hometown of FLW
Posts: 1,415
Likes (Received): 1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
If you can name me a supertall on Earth, built or proposed, that isn't a vanity project, I'd be amazed.

Skyscrapers are, almost by definition, about prestige and emotion. If the only thing you cared about was office space you'd build a bunch of warehouses in Oak Park. If its sole purpose was to house people, you'd set up a thousand homes on the outskirts of the city and save a lot of money.
Who said Oak park only builds warehouses we're getting this monster bulding.





Just a reminder we have 24 hours until The spires fate is decided.
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #10393
The Lion
Registered User
 
The Lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 89

Chicagoans shouldn't get their hopes up for this pipe dream.
__________________

Subsequence liked this post
The Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #10394
rlw777
Registered User
 
rlw777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 300
Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion View Post
Chicagoans shouldn't get their hopes up for this pipe dream.
Thanks you've basically parroted the negative comments from every single page of this thread for the past 6 yrs.
__________________

j-biz liked this post
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #10395
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
 
desertpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ELP ~ ABQ
Posts: 55,648
Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Even if, by some miracle, there is a will and a means to build a colossal tower, I'd be shocked if it was this one because Calatrava's projects are known for massive cost overruns. No developer will risk financial collapse for a vanity project geared at making Chicagoans proud.
This "vanity project" was actually promulgated by an Irish developer with little or no local knowledge or expertise. That was the rap on him and this project from the start. But it's drop dead gorgeous and everyone hopes it can happen in spite of the nasty rep Calatrava has. If this was 2,000 ft. of mediocrity, I wouldn't care if it didn't get built. The noticeable lack of support for the tower by Related Midwest is very telling. They don't see proof of concept here so if the development accedes to them, something quite different will go up (could still be very tall ).
__________________
We are floating in space...
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 05:58 AM   #10396
City-of-Platinum
BANNED
 
City-of-Platinum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 298
Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Thanks you've basically parroted the negative comments from every single page of this thread for the past 6 yrs.
I'ts obvious who he is.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 09:38 AM   #10397
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
The ones in NY. They're building that high because the high floors are generating $10k/sf+ sales.
That's why the Empire State Building and World Trade Center remained empty for so many years.

Also, Eiffel Tower? Taj Mahal? Giza Pyramids? All were literally vanity projects. All the worldwide majestic palaces? Monuments to superficiality, power-hungriness and snobishness towards the population.
__________________
Check out my band, Till I Conquer!

Dubai Skyscraper liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 02:13 PM   #10398
Vertical_Gotham
Registered User
 
Vertical_Gotham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 4,437
Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
That's why the Empire State Building and World Trade Center remained empty for so many years. Also, Eiffel Tower? Taj Mahal? Giza Pyramids? All were literally vanity projects. All the worldwide majestic palaces? Monuments to superficiality, power-hungriness and snobishness towards the population.
But this is residential.
__________________
-------------------------



Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 02:36 PM   #10399
SomeKindOfBug
Registered User
 
SomeKindOfBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,042
Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
But this is residential.
So it's double the vanity; vanity for the developer, and vanity for the residents. It's not like Spire apartments will be so well equipped they'll justify their price through sheer weight of means. People are buying the address, not the house, you know this.

There's almost no utilitarian purpose to the Chicago Spire, or even the buildings in Manhattan, particularly the residential ones. In my opinion, that doesn't mean they're worthless. In fact, quite the opposite. The one thing I admire most about skyscrapers is how they're simply not needed. They're not pragmatic. This puts them firmly in the realm of art, rather than the world of infrastructure or engineering or science.

But the original point was that it was somehow less likely to be built precisely because the Spire is so superfluous to requirements. I was pointing out that, especially in America, all skyscrapers are like that. Heck, my entire country has a population density roughly equal to the Chicago metropolitan area. America doesn't need to build up. It's not running out of space. That's the main reason why it's cities are so interesting and so beautiful. They're built up because they can be, not because they need to be. This is art, and it's something too many people miss when talking about architecture.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 03:45 PM   #10400
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago
 
munchymunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hometown of FLW
Posts: 1,415
Likes (Received): 1165

The suspense is killing me....
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu