daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #1081
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK NAPIER View Post
Either way this baby is being built, with construction starting within the next couple of months.
Don't get your hopes up. Approvals are just a formality in much of Chicago. The real test will be if this building is financial viable and if the developer is able to find financing for later stages of construction.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:18 AM   #1082
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

AWESOME!!!! I'm so happy that is becoming reality now!

BTW, I'm curious how deep will they dig to construct this tower?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:18 AM   #1083
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
so what is the etiquitte here? trump certainly doesn't have to put a picture of chicago spire, still speculative and coming on line, if possible, after trump tower is up in its promotional material.

but if and when chgo spire goes up, trump (and waterview) will be there on the skyline; shouldn't they be in the promo shots?
A rendering is a marketing tool designed to sell/rent units. Consequently, it's routine for developers not to include certain buildings, even buildings that are immediately adjacent. And in light of some of the snipes Trump has taken at Carley, Kelleher, and CS in general, it's not surprising Kelleher wouldn't want Trump's shiny new building put into these renderings.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #1084
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK NAPIER View Post
I dug a little deeper into secondary data from Wikipedia.org and realized that the Chicago Plan Commission approved the final plans of the Chicago Spire around the 19th of April 2007. [30][9][35] Now if Chicago's zoning committee approves the tower on 26 April 2007, the final vote will go before the Chicago City Council on 9 May 2007, the last step in the political approval process.

Either way this baby is being built, with construction starting within the next couple of months.
not months.. i think it's weeks because if they said that the construction will start in SPRING, so they're going to start in a couple of week because summer is coming..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #1085
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

No, it's less complicated than that. Adding all the U/C buildings adds a lot of time, since you have to work with other developers' released renderings and scale, skew them etc. to fit the scene.

Or, if you're doing the 3d thing, it means those buildings are not in your dataset because they are not complete. That means you have to start them from scratch.

It's purely a function of time and cost that these prominent future buildings are omitted, not competition.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #1086
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

It'll probably be at the beginning of June, because after city council approval it may take up to a month before they get all of the proper permits.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #1087
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
BTW, I'm curious how deep will they dig to construct this tower?
I was wondering the same thing.
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #1088
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

Thankyou for posting those renders Kyle.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #1089
JJMCH4

Likes (Received): 1

WOOHHOO THATS A NICE PROJECT, REALLY ORIGINAL

THANKS FOR THE RENDERS KNGKYLE, IT LOOKS REALLY NICE
JJMCH4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #1090
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

More questions (and answers) about Calatrava spire

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,5755543.story

ARCHITECTURE NOTES

By Blair Kamin
Tribune architecture critic
Published April 25, 2007

As architect Santiago Calatrava's plan for the Chicago Spire heads to likely approval at the City Council's zoning committee Thursday, readers are sharing their thoughts, questions and criticisms about the twisting, 150-story condominium tower, which would be the nation's tallest building.

Several readers pejoratively liken the supertall tower to a part of the male anatomy. Others, usually more positive about the design, favor the metaphor of a drill bit or a screw. Still others are asking fresh questions about the proposed skyscraper, which is slated to rise west of Lake Shore Drive and on the north bank of the Chicago River.

One of them is Dan Baldwin, an avid sailor who lives in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood. Baldwin wonders if the Spire would be visible from the Michigan shoreline across Lake Michigan. Sailors, he says, can already see Sears Tower from about halfway across the lake.

Noting that the Spire would be taller than Sears (550 feet taller, to be exact) and located along the lakefront rather than on the west side of downtown, as Sears is, Baldwin predicts: "You won't need a GPS or even a compass to sail across the lake to Chicago."

It's an interesting point: As the destruction of the World Trade Center in 2001 underscored, people get their bearings, both physical and psychological, from skyscrapers, just as they once must have done with church spires. Seen through Baldwin's eyes, the Spire wouldn't simply be a skyscraper; it would be a kind of lighthouse.

Speaking of light, Paul Borzo of St. Paul, Minn., asks whether the latest renderings of the Spire display a spire atop the building or a thin beam of light that would be turned on at night.

Answer: A beam of light.

Calatrava said in an interview last Wednesday that the light could change colors to mark holidays -- green for St. Patrick's Day, for example. Lights atop Sears Tower, the John Hancock Center and other skyscrapers around the nation, such as New York's Empire State Building, already practice this festive custom.

Borzo isn't entirely happy with that response and he isn't alone, judging by the comments I've received.

In an e-mail, he commented: "I'll probably look at the tower mostly at night when I visit because it doesn't look complete without a spire!"

He clearly belongs to the Daley School of Architecture. In 2005, Mayor Richard M. Daley ordered developer Donald Trump to put a spire atop his heretofore flat-topped Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago.

Should that happen again here?

I don't think so.

In the architectural model Calatrava showed the Chicago Plan Commission last week, the Spire's design in an integrated whole, twisting elegantly to its tiplike top. No add-on necessary.

Speaking of the mayor, many readers have asked whether the Spire would be a green building, in keeping with Daley's agenda of promoting environmentally-sensitive architecture.

Answer: It would.

The Spire would meet the gold standard of the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating system. Gold is the second highest LEED rating after platinum.

A press release from the project's developer, Dublin-based Garrett Kelleher, says the gold rating "dictates among other things that rainwater be recycled for landscaping treatments, river water be used for cooling and special glass be included to protect migratory birds."

Kelleher wants to begin construction on the Spire this spring, with completion expected in 2010. However, he has not released the total cost of the project, nor has he divulged the per-square-foot costs of the 1,200 condominium units the Spire will house. Skeptics say Kelleher lacks the finances to get the project off the ground or may be forced to stop midway through construction for lack of funds.
----------
[email protected]

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #1091
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,5755543.story

ARCHITECTURE NOTES

By Blair Kamin
Tribune architecture critic
Published April 25, 2007

As architect Santiago Calatrava's plan for the Chicago Spire heads to likely approval at the City Council's zoning committee Thursday, readers are sharing their thoughts, questions and criticisms about the twisting, 150-story condominium tower, which would be the nation's tallest building.

Several readers pejoratively liken the supertall tower to a part of the male anatomy. Others, usually more positive about the design, favor the metaphor of a drill bit or a screw. Still others are asking fresh questions about the proposed skyscraper, which is slated to rise west of Lake Shore Drive and on the north bank of the Chicago River.

One of them is Dan Baldwin, an avid sailor who lives in Chicago's Old Town neighborhood. Baldwin wonders if the Spire would be visible from the Michigan shoreline across Lake Michigan. Sailors, he says, can already see Sears Tower from about halfway across the lake.

Noting that the Spire would be taller than Sears (550 feet taller, to be exact) and located along the lakefront rather than on the west side of downtown, as Sears is, Baldwin predicts: "You won't need a GPS or even a compass to sail across the lake to Chicago."

It's an interesting point: As the destruction of the World Trade Center in 2001 underscored, people get their bearings, both physical and psychological, from skyscrapers, just as they once must have done with church spires. Seen through Baldwin's eyes, the Spire wouldn't simply be a skyscraper; it would be a kind of lighthouse.

Speaking of light, Paul Borzo of St. Paul, Minn., asks whether the latest renderings of the Spire display a spire atop the building or a thin beam of light that would be turned on at night.

Answer: A beam of light.

Calatrava said in an interview last Wednesday that the light could change colors to mark holidays -- green for St. Patrick's Day, for example. Lights atop Sears Tower, the John Hancock Center and other skyscrapers around the nation, such as New York's Empire State Building, already practice this festive custom.

Borzo isn't entirely happy with that response and he isn't alone, judging by the comments I've received.

In an e-mail, he commented: "I'll probably look at the tower mostly at night when I visit because it doesn't look complete without a spire!"

He clearly belongs to the Daley School of Architecture. In 2005, Mayor Richard M. Daley ordered developer Donald Trump to put a spire atop his heretofore flat-topped Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago.

Should that happen again here?

I don't think so.

In the architectural model Calatrava showed the Chicago Plan Commission last week, the Spire's design in an integrated whole, twisting elegantly to its tiplike top. No add-on necessary.

Speaking of the mayor, many readers have asked whether the Spire would be a green building, in keeping with Daley's agenda of promoting environmentally-sensitive architecture.

Answer: It would.

The Spire would meet the gold standard of the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating system. Gold is the second highest LEED rating after platinum.

A press release from the project's developer, Dublin-based Garrett Kelleher, says the gold rating "dictates among other things that rainwater be recycled for landscaping treatments, river water be used for cooling and special glass be included to protect migratory birds."

Kelleher wants to begin construction on the Spire this spring, with completion expected in 2010. However, he has not released the total cost of the project, nor has he divulged the per-square-foot costs of the 1,200 condominium units the Spire will house. Skeptics say Kelleher lacks the finances to get the project off the ground or may be forced to stop midway through construction for lack of funds.
----------
[email protected]

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #1092
Xander

congrats chicago, this is a pretty brave decision I think, but it will pay off!

ニョキニョキと広くて青い空に延ばしている摩天楼...........

My threads:
Taiwan: 1 2 3; Malaysia; Singapore; Indonesia- 1 2 3; Toronto: 1 2
Xander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #1093
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Finally. Good one! A new mega-tall to watch rise in the future.

BTW Thanks for posting those superb renders Kngkyle. I love scrolling the page up & down - it's really effective. *twirls*

The huge base of the tower and plaza area with water feature look so wonderful.....& they will be, knowing Calatrava's work. Beautiful!
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #1094
chukchi

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Oops. Someone forgot to tell the renderer that trucks are forbidden on Lake Shore Drive.
Don't they go to McCormick place through Lake Shore???

Anyway, I can't wait for it to be build
chukchi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #1095
SHORTY

Likes (Received): 0

Not pre selling raises an alarm for me. I love this building as well as Chicago. I really hope Chicago does not end up with it's version of TO's BA stump.
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #1096
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Ive seen pictures of chicago through the clouds..only the supertalls tall enough to show through, and it looks amazing. this spire poking through the clouds in that shot would be legendary stuff.
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #1097
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's purely a function of time and cost that these prominent future buildings are omitted, not competition.
I see your point, but do you think that even if Kelleher had both the time and money to include Trump he would've done so?
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #1098
vexxed82

Does anyone know more info about the bridge. In the renderings the bridge looks problematic in a few areas. First, it looks to low to allow ships to pass under it. Second, it also looks immoveable. I understand some detail may be left out, but If this is the case, and there arent any missing deails I dont think this is the bridge that will actually get built.
vexxed82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #1099
ChgoLvr83

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
Does anyone know more info about the bridge. In the renderings the bridge looks problematic in a few areas. First, it looks to low to allow ships to pass under it. Second, it also looks immoveable. I understand some detail may be left out, but If this is the case, and there arent any missing deails I dont think this is the bridge that will actually get built.
Im not sure if money has been set aside yet for the bridge. Someone else can tell you more but the bridge would swing out to let boats pass through. Of course, as opposed to lifting up.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #1100
Garvm
HHSR

About the money: In Valencia we already know that we must put a "Calatrava coeficient" on costs that goes between 1,5 and 2 and must be applied in the projected costs to obtain the final costs.
Garvm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower