daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #1101
vexxed82

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoLvr83 View Post
Im not sure if money has been set aside yet for the bridge. Someone else can tell you more but the bridge would swing out to let boats pass through. Of course, as opposed to lifting up.
Thanks, thats what I was figuring, but I didnt see a "swing joint" in the rendering that would allow for that...dont these people know we want as much detail as possible...geez
vexxed82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #1102
Woolie

Likes (Received): 4

This will be a monumental building. It is the perfect building for the location, IMHO.
Woolie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #1103
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
Does anyone know more info about the bridge. In the renderings the bridge looks problematic in a few areas. First, it looks to low to allow ships to pass under it. Second, it also looks immoveable. I understand some detail may be left out, but If this is the case, and there arent any missing deails I dont think this is the bridge that will actually get built.
The bridge pivots. You can see it in the video I posted a couple pages back.
http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=769453130
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #1104
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukchi View Post
Don't they go to McCormick place through Lake Shore???
Sort of. The only place they are technically allowed all the time is between I-55 and 31st Street. From there they either exit west and into the truck marshaling yard which will be below the Olympic Village, or they can go east and enter the lakeside center through Fort Dearborn Drive. They might temporarily allow some south of that for construction vehicles to enter the Museum Campus, but then again they can also access it via Roosevelt Road.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #1105
SGMD1

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by SGMD1; September 21st, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
SGMD1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #1106
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

Wow after viewing the close up of the base, I just creamed myself. That is the most awesome base I have ever seen in a supertall!!!
choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #1107
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Here is an insane animation showing what the Chicago skyline will look like in 5 years. Not all the projects are shown, just the big ones. Most of them are under construction or will be starting soon. It was made by Alliance on SSP.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #1108
JET CM

Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=Kngkyle;12848639]Here is an insane animation showing what the Chicago skyline will look like in 5 years. Not all the projects are shown, just the big ones. Most of them are under construction or will be starting soon. It was made by Alliance on SSP.
[QUOTE]

That truly is terrific. I realize this is a very greedy request but any chance of a South Loop view?
JET CM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #1109
harvesterofsorrows
BANNED

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Here is an insane animation showing what the Chicago skyline will look like in 5 years. Not all the projects are shown, just the big ones. Most of them are under construction or will be starting soon. It was made by Alliance on SSP.

Zefire liked this post
harvesterofsorrows no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #1110
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

wow, chicago will look impressive!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1111
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Alliance did an amazing job, but it's worth mentioning that one of the buildings he included in Lakeshore East is speculative design-wise--the official design hasn't yet been released. But the rest of the buildings shown, except for CS, are either under construction or in site prep. Now, if I could only stop looking at his rendering, I might get some work done.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; April 26th, 2007 at 10:54 PM.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #1112
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

what tower is that close to the john hancock, and it's tall

Zefire liked this post
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #1113
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Smith fan View Post
what tower is that close to the john hancock, and it's tall
Assuming that it is that very tall one just to the left of the Hancock, isn't that one of the reaaaally tall buildings planned/UC in that former IC railroad yard (it's early for me and I forget offhand that project's name)?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #1114
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Assuming that it is that very tall one just to the left of the Hancock, isn't that one of the reaaaally tall buildings planned/UC in that former IC railroad yard (it's early for me and I forget offhand that project's name)?

Mike
The entire mega-project is called Lakeshore East. The building to the left of JHC is the speculative project mentioned above. The design you see in this image was imagined by Alliance, who made this .gif. The real design is by Arquitectonica and will likely not be as thin.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; April 26th, 2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #1115
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

They are cutting down trees along the Ogden Slip edge and chipping them up as I type this.

TIMBERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #1116
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

They are cutting down trees along the Ogden Slip edge and chipping them up as I type this.

TIMBERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #1117
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

well that should be a good sign

Zefire liked this post
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #1118
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latoso View Post
Sort of. The only place they are technically allowed all the time is between I-55 and 31st Street. From there they either exit west and into the truck marshaling yard which will be below the Olympic Village, or they can go east and enter the lakeside center through Fort Dearborn Drive. They might temporarily allow some south of that for construction vehicles to enter the Museum Campus, but then again they can also access it via Roosevelt Road.
What about people that live at Chicago Spire that own pick-up trucks? I own a truck and have talked to others who have gotten $130 (I think) tickets for driving on LSD. Will CS have a secondary access other than LSD or are the rules going to change? I personally think the rule is stupid - someone can drive a big SUV and not a Ford Ranger. Someone told me the cop who gave him a ticket explained off the record that pickups arent allowed on LSD or boulevards because they are considered an eyesore.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #1119
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Christ, from that photo you'd think it was the middle of January.
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #1120
asauterChicago

City's zoning panel OKs site increase for Chicago Spire tower

By Susan Diesenhouse and Gary Washburn
Tribune staff reporters
Published April 26, 2007, 12:48 PM CDT

As expected, the developer of the 2,000-foot tall Chicago Spire condominium tower received unanimous approval Thursday morning from the City Council Zoning Committee to increase the amount of space it can build on its 2.2-acre lakefront site from 10 times the lot size to 25 times.

"We're delighted," said Shelbourne General Counsel John Murphy. "It's another step toward completion of the Chicago Spire."

E-mail this story
Printable format
Search archives
RSS

As Dublin-based Shelbourne Development Ltd. won its request to construct a 2.4 million square foot tower, aldermen heaped praise on the project designed by famed Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava.

"This building will be a landmark, I predict," said Ald. Burton Natarus (42nd) who represents the downtown ward where the skyscraper is planned.

"I just hope that it comes to pass; that it doesn't hit any pitfalls along the way," added Ald. Bernard Stone. (50th).

Indeed, questions swirl around the financing of the project that could cost $2.4 billion, according to industry experts. Shelbourne Chief Executive Garrett Kelleher declined to tell reporters' the estimated cost of the building or its condominium units. John George, his attorney, said he could not comment on financial issues but added that caisson work on the site will begin in May or June.

[email protected]
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower