daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #1121
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Next up: City Council, May 9th.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1122
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

The zoning committee has approved CS. The final hurdle is the full City Council on May 9th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asauterChicago View Post
City's zoning panel OKs site increase for Chicago Spire tower

By Susan Diesenhouse and Gary Washburn
Tribune staff reporters
Published April 26, 2007, 12:48 PM CDT

As expected, the developer of the 2,000-foot tall Chicago Spire condominium tower received unanimous approval Thursday morning from the City Council Zoning Committee to increase the amount of space it can build on its 2.2-acre lakefront site from 10 times the lot size to 25 times.

"We're delighted," said Shelbourne General Counsel John Murphy. "It's another step toward completion of the Chicago Spire."

E-mail this story
Printable format
Search archives
RSS

As Dublin-based Shelbourne Development Ltd. won its request to construct a 2.4 million square foot tower, aldermen heaped praise on the project designed by famed Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava.

"This building will be a landmark, I predict," said Ald. Burton Natarus (42nd) who represents the downtown ward where the skyscraper is planned.

"I just hope that it comes to pass; that it doesn't hit any pitfalls along the way," added Ald. Bernard Stone. (50th).

Indeed, questions swirl around the financing of the project that could cost $2.4 billion, according to industry experts. Shelbourne Chief Executive Garrett Kelleher declined to tell reporters' the estimated cost of the building or its condominium units. John George, his attorney, said he could not comment on financial issues but added that caisson work on the site will begin in May or June.

[email protected]
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1123
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
The entire mega-project is called Lakeshore East. The building to the left of JHC is one of the speculative projects I mentioned above. The design you see in this image was imagined by Alliance, who made this .gif. The real design is by Arquitectonica and will likely not be as thin.
Also, we have insider information that the height will be about 1075'. But since it is not officially released yet it could be wrong.
The City Zoning Council just approved the plans. Now onto May 9th for the final OK.

Spire's financing mum, aldermen cross fingers

April 26, 2007
BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter/[email protected]
A lakefront known for its architectural wonders on Thursday moved closer to getting another one: a twisting, 150-story Chicago Spire billed as the “thinnest structure in the world” and the tallest in North America.

Thirteen months after authorizing construction of a tower with 300 units and a hotel, the City Council’s Zoning Committee approved the revised design by celebrity architect Santiago Calatrava that calls for 1,200 condominiums and 1,350 underground parking spaces.

Aldermen were willing to cross their collective fingers even though developer Garrett Kelleher was positively mum about his financing plans.

Kelleher won’t say how much the units at 410 N. Lake Shore Drive will cost. He claims to have a financial commitment from the Anglo Irish Bank without the pre-sales normally required to secure financing. He’s even promising, through his attorney, to be “in the ground with caissons” as early as next month.

But, when pressed for specifics, Kelleher left the City Council chambers without saying a word.

His only comment came when an alderman asked whether the tower would be completed in time for a 2016 Summer Olympics in Chicago.

“I certainly believe so, yes--at the very, very latest. But, I think it should be finished well before that,” Kelleher said.

Despite the financial hurdles that remain, aldermen were willing to take that leap of faith. They’re in awe of Calatrava and dazzled by his design.

“He’s a fascinating man. It’s a fascinating project. There’s no question of its value to the skyline. No question of its value to Chicago. I just hope it comes to pass—that it doesn’t hit any pitfalls along the way,” said Ald. Bernard Stone (50th).

“This is a very unique project—another good example of why Chicago is such a world-class city,” said Zoning Committee Chairman William Banks (36th).

Outgoing Ald. Burton F. Natarus (42nd) called the Chicago Spire a “unique piece of architecture” that would someday join the list of city landmarks.

“We had to give attention to [the design] in such a way that we don’t…insult the architect. How can you be critical of a genius?” Natarus said.

Natarus praised the developers for committing $9.6 million toward the long-sought DuSable Park to be built east of the tower along the lakefront. And he credited Kelleher’s zoning attorney Jack George, for convincing area residents to get on board.

George is a partner in the law firm of Daley & George, which once included Mayor Daley and still includes the mayor’s brother, Michael.

Neighbors “understand the importance of a project like this to Chicago. They were willing to talk. They were willing to…work things out. And the reason for that is Jack George…He understands people. I don’t know of anybody [else] who…takes the developer to the neighborhood,” Natarus said.

After the meeting, George tried to fill in the blanks left by Kelleher.

“The man has committed substantial dollars already to the development team. He’s hired the best, most qualified people from around the world to work on this project…He’s beginning to go into the ground in short order…probably in May or June,” George said.

Architect Ray Clark added, “I’m not one of the skeptics. I’m one of the believers because of the pace with which this project is moving forward and the degree of detail we’ve already covered with the statutory authorities….I don’t deal with the money issues. I’m the eternal optimist.”

The full Council is expected to approve the Chicago Spire on May 9. After that, it’ll be up to Kelleher to prove his critics wrong.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/3...042607.article
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #1124
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

great news, the next step is done
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #1125
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Great news, one less step for building of the spire!

Zefire liked this post
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #1126
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
BTW, I'm curious how deep will they dig to construct this tower?
No one knows the answer?
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #1127
Chi649

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
What about people that live at Chicago Spire that own pick-up trucks? I own a truck and have talked to others who have gotten $130 (I think) tickets for driving on LSD. Will CS have a secondary access other than LSD or are the rules going to change? I personally think the rule is stupid - someone can drive a big SUV and not a Ford Ranger. Someone told me the cop who gave him a ticket explained off the record that pickups arent allowed on LSD or boulevards because they are considered an eyesore.
I read an article in the newspaper a month ago about how pickup trucks need a special parking permit in the city, which many owners don't know about, that involves many steps including submitting pics and multiple other steps. After reading that article, it seemed like the city really had a personal vendetta against pickups, and people were also saying that it didn't make sense that Caddy Escalades and such didn't need the permits. Anyway, it really seemed outrageous to me, poor pickup owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Christ, from that photo you'd think it was the middle of January.
Yep, today was as dreary as it gets. The fog was so thick it almost looked like smoke at times.

As for the Spire, I am getting so excited but I am trying not to in case there is a let down, if you know what I mean. If it would make a difference, I would volunteer my time to help build it. Just being a part of the experience and great construction pics would be enough. I can't stop thinking about the Chi skyline of the future and how awesome it will be.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #1128
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ You guys crack me up.

I honestly can't even imagine what it's like to be in that state of mind anymore--thinking about what to do with your cars. I"m so glad I've turned that corner in my life..
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #1129
HowardL

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
What about people that live at Chicago Spire that own pick-up trucks?
Maybe pickups are more of an automotive trend than I recognize, but for the love of christ, I hope they are selling more upmarket than that.
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #1130
Chi649

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ You guys crack me up.

I honestly can't even imagine what it's like to be in that state of mind anymore--thinking about what to do with your cars. I"m so glad I've turned that corner in my life..
It's not really a state of mind but a matter of practicality. For some people, driving down LSD is a much better option. This will be the case, especially if you live at the Spire.
Old April 27th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #1131
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
What about people that live at Chicago Spire that own pick-up trucks? I own a truck and have talked to others who have gotten $130 (I think) tickets for driving on LSD. Will CS have a secondary access other than LSD or are the rules going to change? I personally think the rule is stupid - someone can drive a big SUV and not a Ford Ranger. Someone told me the cop who gave him a ticket explained off the record that pickups arent allowed on LSD or boulevards because they are considered an eyesore.
It's a good point. Perhaps they'll only be allowed to enter and exit at N. Water St. or maybe they'll extend an exempt section of LSD by the Spire such as the one south of McCormick Place. The law is rather stupid and has a double standard. If you have a truck with regular plates you're ok, but if you have truck plates you'll get ticketed. Now, you only have to get truck plates if you have a hitch on your truck, otherwise it's your choice as to which plates you get. So if you don't have a hitch, definitely get the regular plates just for LSD purposes. I have a Mazda Tribute, and I specifically got regular plates for that reason only. Oddly enough, my Tribute does have a hitch, but SUV's are exempt from being forced to get truck plates because of the hitch.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #1132
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

I think Chicago Spire is spectacular. I believe it would be a wonderful addition to the city. There is just one thing I don't like about it: its all condos. For some reason with a building this important, I sure wish there was some mixed use component to it. I realize that Ogden Slip and the lakefront isn't exactly Michigan Avenue and that this building is not at a site accessible to the masses, but I sure wish there had been more of a public presence for the spire...shops, resaurant and observatory on top, etc. Navy Pier and River East Centre provide a retail relationship...certainly not for a WTP clone, but some retail, some restaurants, even a hotel...why not? As is, it appears more like the forbidden city.

Zefire liked this post
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #1133
prelude91

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
It's not really a state of mind but a matter of practicality. For some people, driving down LSD is a much better option. This will be the case, especially if you live at the Spire.
i highly doubt anybody who will live in the spire will be driving around an F-250
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #1134
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

http://www.suntimes.com/business/360...pire27.article

Spire closer to reality
LAKEFRONT | But developer offers no details on financing for twisting, 150-story needle

April 27, 2007

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter [email protected]

A lakefront known for its architectural wonders moved closer Thursday to getting another one: a twisting, 150-story Chicago Spire billed as the "thinnest structure in the world" and the tallest in North America.
Thirteen months after authorizing construction of a tower with 300 units and a hotel, the City Council's Zoning Committee approved the revised design by celebrity architect Santiago Calatrava that calls for 1,200 condominiums and 1,350 underground parking spaces.

Aldermen were willing to cross their collective fingers even though developer Garrett Kelleher was positively mum about his financing plans.

Kelleher won't say how much the units at 410 N. Lake Shore Dr. would cost. He claims to have a financial commitment from the Anglo Irish Bank without the pre-sales normally required to secure financing.

He's even promising, through his attorney, to be "in the ground with caissons" as early as next month.

But when pressed for specifics, Kelleher left the City Council chambers without saying a word. His only comment came when an alderman asked whether the tower would be completed in time for a 2016 Summer Olympics in Chicago.

"I certainly believe so, yes -- at the very, very latest. But I think it should be finished well before that," Kelleher said.

Despite the financial hurdles that remain, aldermen were willing to take that leap of faith. They're in awe of Calatrava and dazzled by his design.

"He's a fascinating man. It's a fascinating project. There's no question of its value to the skyline. No question of its value to Chicago. I just hope it comes to pass -- that it doesn't hit any pitfalls along the way," said Ald. Bernard Stone (50th).

The full Council is expected to approve the Chicago Spire on May 9. After that, it'll be up to Kelleher to prove his critics wrong.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #1135
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Some diagrams that I've aquired.

Old April 27th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #1136
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Some diagrams that I've aquired.

Old April 27th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #1137
Chi649

Thank you very much Bvic.
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #1138
Chi649

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
i highly doubt anybody who will live in the spire will be driving around an F-250
True dat but I was responding to TUP, who was just talking about driving in general.
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #1139
asauterChicago

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Considering that most of the Spire will be populated with uber rich Europeans, using the condos as a 4th or 5th home, I doubt many of the residences will be driving at all...
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1140
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

thinnest structure in the world? im sure hes ment to say FINNEST.
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicago, santiago calatrava, spire, tallest, tower